yasha goby missing for 3 days...!

silenceisgolden

about a week and a half ago, i put in a shrimp/goby(single) pair in my 24g NC. i can ID the randall's pistol shrimp up at front, but i haven't seen the goby in 3 days since he came out to eat. the shrimp will hide it's cave, so i can't see in, and i have not seen the goby for three days.

i would like an opinion on whether he's okay or not.
should i turn the rock it's under around to see if he's okay? or leave it...

(btw, the liveaquaria webpage says it's yashIa, but it's totally yasha without the I, as in inu-yasha. at least... that's what the japanese name is. yasha-haze. haze means goby.)

thank you! xoxo.

I had a yasha/shrimp pair in a NC... hadn't seen the goby in awhile (he always game out for feedings) so I replaced him... Literally the next day I was cleaning the filters and saw a flash in the third chamber, I removed the pump and there was the original goby! He had lost some weight, but seemed OK.

So I placed him back in the tank and all three paired up.

I would check the filter compartments throughly, including taking out the pump. The NC's have a gap between the back wall and the top lid which apparently allows gobies to jump it...

Hope you find him!

thanks for the response.

so after i had posted that, i found him! he was hiding under the rock, and the shrimp would hide it's burrow by covering it with sand, so i thought they had both perished.

i'm thinking of getting a mate for him... how did you know whether it was a male or female? is there any way to tell? is the male's dorsal fin longer?

I could be wrong, but if you look at the pelvic fin (disk shaped) they use to perch with, if part of that is black and the other yasha is not, basically all clear then you have a pair. Although I don't know which is which. Maybe someone else knows.

Glad you find him!
I am not certain as to how to determine male/female with Stonogobiops yasha. I would give Liveaquaria a call, as I know they sell pairs in their Diver's Den.

Back