Yet another help request for port forwarding!

denlinn1

Hi,

Can't seem to figure out getting access to the apex from outside the LAN.

I have Apex at 192.168.1.50, port 9000
It is a static IP, reserved in my Netgear router. I can get to the controller via LAN at 192.168.1.50:9000.

Here are the network settings for the Apex, as well as the netgear router port forward settings.

Would appreciate any help with what I may have configured wrong.

Thanks,

Dennis

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 7.41.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 7.41.14 PM.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 7.40.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 7.40.27 PM.png
    63 KB · Views: 2
You need to be using either your *external* IP address or your dyndns domain name when accessing it outside your network. If you're trying to use your internal IP address (192.168.1.50) outside your network, that isn't going to work.

Also... don't forget to use the port number on your external address, just like you did for the internal address.

Port forwarding is typically setup from your DSL router... Not necessarily the netgear..
The model of your DSL router and Netgear router would be helpful.

My Netgear router is model R6300v2. I'm using comcast/xfinity cable modem, which assigns an external ip to my Netgear as I understand it. My router I have configured to forward on port 9000, which is what the Apex is set to use.
I should not have mentioned the dyndns aspect, as that is not relevant since I am using the actual external IP to attempt connection.
Thank you,

Dennis

My Netgear router is model R6300v2. I'm using comcast/xfinity cable modem, which assigns an external ip to my Netgear as I understand it. ...

Along the lines of my earlier comment, I think this is where the problem is... if I'm understanding you correctly.

The cable modem doesn't assign an external IP address to anything. Your cable modem gives you one external IP address that you can access from the outside - the port number added on to that IP address then tells the router where it should direct the traffic. If you go to www.whatismyip.com that will tell you what your external IP address is. This is the address you should be using external to your network, along with the :9000 for the port number.

If the comcast cable modem is a combined modem/router, and you have another router behind it - that can cause problems. If it's a straight modem, then no problem. But if it's a router/modem combined you need to put it in "bridge mode" that basically disables the router aspect. I'm not a Comcast person, so I can't be of much more help with specifics but there are plenty of folks here that get you further if this is your situation.

Thank you Kurt, I get it now. Bridge mode causes a different problem in my configuration, so I'm just going to shelve
the port forward idea for now.

I remember seeing some threads here and over on Neptune's own support forum (http://forum.neptunesystems.com/forum.php) where certain Comcast-supplied modem/routers can be a pain to get to work correctly with the Apex for external access. You might search around here and at Neptune with your Comcast equipment's model number and you might find some step-by-step info on setting it up.

Unless you're using Fusion, you're going to need to set up Port Forwarding if you want external access.

For my verizon fios router I did the following:
-Set up Apex to aquire IP from the router
-Defined a static IP in the router and assigned it to the apex
-Configured the ports
-Set up the port forwarding rules

Back