You want to see CRUEL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is bad, but I give him/her the benefit of the doubt b/c the could have been told it would be fine by some idiot lfs employee, they are the ones that are really cruel.

Some of you here seem to be very selective in your outrage. What about fish farms where trout and catfish are crowded together? Is that not cruel? Are they not fish? Where is the outrage? Its Ok to eat fish, and to sport fish, but maybe one extra tang deserves death?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12357386#post12357386 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by samtheman
Some of you here seem to be very selective in your outrage. What about fish farms where trout and catfish are crowded together? Is that not cruel? Are they not fish? Where is the outrage? Its Ok to eat fish, and to sport fish, but maybe one extra tang deserves death?

In nature aren't those fish already packed pretty tietly?

I didn't know they "packed" fish in nature. What are you saying?
Its OK to kill and eat fish, but not put too many in a tank? What are you feeding you fish, dogfood? Most of what I feed is other marine life that has been killed to make the food, so we can keep the Tangs in our tanks. Where is the rage?

I honestly don't see anything wrong here. Sure he's keeping 3 tangs in a 45-gallon, but they look healthy to me and it seems he has provided adequate flow for them to swim into and get the equivalent of what they would swim in the wild. As you can see in the video the sailfin is swimming right into the flow and a treadmill effect ensues. Everything in his tank seems to be thriving. Sure it might be bad that he's keeping three large fish in a smaller tank than what is ideal, but I've seen a hell of a lot worse than three tangs in a tank that looks healthy as can be. IMHO people on RC seem to overreact, and most of them have no first-hand experience with these fish in the wild. I'm not saying it's alright to keep tangs in small tanks. I'm simply saying this guy or gal seems to know what he or she is doing and we shouldn't berate someone simply because of a first glance.

Salient point xJake. I agree with you.

Where did this 75g minimum for Tangs come from?? That rule is just as bad as the Watts-Per-Gallon rule. A 95g (28x28x28) cube is way worse than a 45g (72x12x12) as far as swimming room is concerned.

I agree with reef rico it does look like a 29 gallon but the fish do look healthy ( Unless he just put them in their anyone have a youtube account maybe they can post this post?)

A 45 gallon tall does resemble a 29 from afar, it is only 6" longer and the same width 12.5", but it is 8 inches taller at 25". Besides your only talking an additional 16 gallons which doesn't take up much more space.

Rather than space issues, (which in reality apply to virtually every fish we keep) isn't anyone concerned that the scopas and the veliferum are so skinny? To me, that's the real danger here. The yellow tang looks decently fat by comparision, so do the other fish....

j

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12395813#post12395813 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JHemdal
Rather than space issues, (which in reality apply to virtually every fish we keep) isn't anyone concerned that the scopas and the veliferum are so skinny? To me, that's the real danger here. The yellow tang looks decently fat by comparision, so do the other fish....

j

True the tangs do look rather skinny in the video, but again, all the info we have on the tank comes from this video, which is not only low quality but gives almost no description of the livestock and husbandry practices.
To me the veliferum looks to be fat and healthy (try looking at the different angles in the video) but the scopas does look a bit on the thin side. I really just don't see any point in criticizing someone's husbandry practices with so little information. Not every skinny fish is the fault of the keeper (and not every fishkeeper is as educated on fish disease as the curator of a public aquarium ;) ) and we really don't have anywhere near enough info to pass judgement.
If people feel passionate enough to start a thread like this criticizing someone's tank then maybe those same people should be feeling passionate enough to attempt to contact him and politely explain the situation in detail and how he could correct it rather than bashing him behind his back.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12353719#post12353719 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by samtheman
Kind of like eating tuna! Bad, very bad! Eat chicken.

Why do you hate chickens?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back