Zoa colonies getting big

79chopperdr

I killed ALL that Coral!
I used to use LEDs, the Z&P looked good and would grow. After switching to MH I figured out they LOVE MH.

The Rastas and Utter Chaos get close to 1/2" diameter and the Sundials are probably sneaking up on 1". I'll try to remember to take a pic with a ruler in there.

There are some grandis palys in there too that get really big, now I'm curious to measure those

mpoletti

You'll never walk alone
Premium Member
Very nice Jeff. A nice colony of zoas is always nice to see in your tank. Any issues with angels?

79chopperdr

I killed ALL that Coral!
IME dwarfs are likely to nip at fleshy stuff. I don't keep LPS like brains, favias or Acans. None of my angels have ever touched frogspawn, hammers, torches or Duncans. Certain species are more of a dice roll. Next months speaker can speak to the order of least likely to most likely. Current dwarfs are a potters and a flame. They have nipped Jedi Mind trick, no other monti's????

Large angels are known to be the ones that can devolop a taste for softies and LPS. The only ones I have tried are the majestic and haven't had that issue yet. Currently have one majestic.

I also have genicanthus and those are widely considered reef safe. My genicanthus angels have always been "angels" :lolspin: currently have three wantanabei.

All fish added to my system go in the frag tank before the DT. They are easier to remove/ isolate if they have an obvious taste for coral.

The nipping I have experienced is that the coral stays retracted and slowly declines (to malnutrition I assume). Never had a angel damage the flesh of the coral. I understand the fish is interested more in the defensive slime than the flesh of the coral.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: