Zoa recovery after 4 months in the dark

Mouse

UnRegistered Member
Had a bad case of algae and gave the rocks 4 months in the dark. Some of the algae is commin back, but so are the Zoa's that were on the rocks. One colony has a tad of color in the center, the other colony is ghost white. Will they regain their original color? If a new algae were introduced from a diff morph, would these take on those colors or is their color pattern 'set in the DNA'?

Had a bad case of algae and gave the rocks 4 months in the dark. Some of the algae is commin back, but so are the Zoa's that were on the rocks. One colony has a tad of color in the center, the other colony is ghost white. Will they regain their original color? If a new algae were introduced from a diff morph, would these take on those colors or is their color pattern 'set in the DNA'?

the color can come back rather quickly, eventually return to what they originally were. alot of morphs dont last long term anyways.

Something similar happened to me. Some live rock I put in the sump had a few zoa heads. It was there in the dark for about 3-4 months. When I put the rock back in the tank the zoas looked like solid brown balls. They wouldn't open.
After almost a month the opened and they even got their colour back after a month or so. The only problem is that they do not open fully...Lets say half open. They even grow new heads now:)

Back