Zooanthid VS Zoanthid *boggle*

cesau

I keep seeing the terms Zooanthid and Zoanthid intermingled, and I'm confused if they are the same thing or not. If they are the same thing, which is correct? If not, what is the difference? =)

A lot of newbs call them "ZOOS". When they go to spell the word it turns into ZOOanthid.

Everything I have read in scientific studies refers to them as Zoanthids.

I did read something once in a journal about zooathind anemones, but I just thought it was a spelling error.

Anyways, what we like on this forum are Zoanthids!

Thank you for clearing that up cowcio.

When you refer to them, do you pronounce it as "zoe-ahs" or do you just call them by their full name, "zoe-ann-thids"?

It depends who you're talking to. In a formal setting I would say the full name, otherwise say what you want!

Make sure that it is a zoanthid though... It could be another kind of polyp, then you're completely wrong!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8104873#post8104873 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Richard Walston
Just like Zoologist is pronounced as ZO- Ologist not ZOO- Ologist (there is only 2 o's)

Nice comparison :)

The use of 'zoa' typically implies one of the many types of zoas (Zoanthus, Palythoa, Parazoanthus, Acrozoanthus, etc.), so it is a generic term. Zoanthid can also be a generic term because it is not describing a specific genus (as Zoanthid is not a genus).

I pronounce Zoanthus as Zo (long O)-anthus, but typically pronounce 'zoa' as Zoo (like a place where animals are held in captivity;)). Pronounciation is a tough one to hold down... There is a Versailles, Kentucky that is pronounced Ver-sails instead of Ver-sI. Cairo, Indiana (I think it's Indiana, anyway-could be Illinois) is pronounced KA-ro (long A) instead of KI-ro, so cultural differences (whether the be correct or not) are often the decider (of that's a word).

Back