Zoos and the Sundial

BeanAnimal

Premium Member
Well I got a sundial snail and I just don't understand why people are so worried about these guys... he is useless. Slower than a snail and useless. I have spent 3 days staring at him and he has moved less than an inch and eaten less than what I would consider a useful amont of polyps.

This has to be the most over rated threat I have yet to come across in this hobby.... I get one to trim back the shrubs, and he does nothing but snack and lounge. I want an eater, a pig, a zoo eating machine...

Bean

Too bad you didn't need one 8 months ago. I would have given you mine. Ate through 3 colonies of zoos in about a weeks time. Found it and flushed it.

Well maybe mine will get into the groove after he is done vacationing. He is very small (about as round as a pencil eraser). I hope he becomes the size of a marble!

Wow Bean. Didnt know anybody ever wanted these things! I recently discovered them and am still miffed as to how they ever entered my system even after quarentine. (I assume eggs that I couldnt see) Mine are very small with the biggest being about 3/16" in diameter. I have killed at least 60 of them. I find them at night with a flashlight and just throw them out. Two weeks ago I could have given you an army....... These dont "munch" on the zoos yet; they just slowly eat them and **** off the zoa into extinction. I would be happy to keep a bunch for you if you like. Although most are gone and my zoas are all happy again, I am sure I will find more. LMK if you want them and I will isolate them somehow in the sump for you.

Keep me in mind. I am not sure If I want to do more than 1 at a time. I may want zoos in the future and would hate to breed a smnall army myself.

The ones I have now are brown and taking over everything. I was to stupid to understand that they should not be allowed to grow in base rock. In any case they are supposed to be "pink" but my water and lighting obv don't give them a good color. The new skimmer should fix that, but I still want them GONE!

keebler1,

There are small snails that look like sundials but are harmless hervbivors. I have thousands of them and they never touch zoanthids (I wish they did!).

The real sundials have a distinctive prominent cone shaped operculum.

Adam

Adam,
The ones I have look just like them and have the same pattern to the shell both in the coloring and actual physical appearance. I especially noted that they behaved the same (from what I read) by coming out usually at night and they are almost always found on/near the various zoa I have. I really didnt think at first they were either when all the pics I saw were much larger than what I have found. Maybe I assumed too much. Do you have a pic of the snails in your system or know what they are called? Although I think I have nearly gotten them all, I would love to stop waking up at 2am to go stick my hands in the water! And the offer still stands, if I grab any more- you are more than welcome to them.

Save one of them for me. I will put a hunk of the zoa laden rock in the sump and one of your snails with it.

Adam, I will take a look at him if I can. Steve Pro picked it up at elmers the day of the last meeting (not sure if you were there or not).

Bill

Bill,

Yours is definitely the right critter. I saw it at Elmer's. They had removed it from a zoanthid colony.

Keebler... you really can't miss the conical operculum cover. When sundials close up, it looks like a kid's party hat sticking out of the hole where the foot pulls in.

I will try to send pics.

Also... I picked up three of these yesterday. I will post back if they start mowing!

Adam

We have to be the only 2 people on the planet that are thrilled with zoanthid lawnmowers. I am afraid my palythoa (sp?) will suffer in the end (from my limited research they will eat these guys too)... but may have to employ an army of these guys.

In the end I was glad that mine got mowed away. I later read numerous post of how much of a pest they can be in an sps dominated reef tank. I lost the money I invested in the zoanthids....but at least I've been spared the hassle of trying to keep them away from my sps.

Back