Zoos closing and dissolving???

I read the first page and getting tired so I skipped to the end, Ive had the same problem with Zoa's melting away, I had a frag station with 12 plugs on it and almost all were or had melted away, they were up high in a 29g biocube with the stock 10k and actinic PC's, I moved the melting zoas to the bottom of the tank and most of them started to open and doing better each day. Some were already gone and of course not all made it but I honestly think they were getting to much light, like the post I read by MUCHO REEF
about putting his colony under a overhang and coming back.
I don't know if it has been mentioned, probably has but just wanted to share my experience to help my fellow reefers.
jeremy

I've had this "fungus" attack a colony and I put the colony under HIGH flow and it really seamed to help alot! Almost all the the colony has bounce back.

Re: was reading and

Re: was reading and

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9616989#post9616989 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cmb88
good discussion.. awhile back a guy asked about heartworm pills for dogs...I am a vet tech the name of the pill is heargaurd...but i cant see how dissolving this pill will help!! be careful

as for the rest i have had a similar problem..gooing gooing gone everything else healthy in tank good advice thanx.. i was thinking of just sacraficing that zoo for tanks sake thanks

Are you guys sure you aren't talking about INTERCEPTOR?
It's being used as a treatment for AEFW (Acro Eating Flat Worms) with great success but I doubt that it would do anything for the zoa fungus.

I know. But it's been around for 4 years actually w/much discussion and No one has posted any pictures....

so is this was melting is? The polyps close and then it disappears?

PB140278.jpg

AND it's in the zoanthid information draft and will keep getting "hits" :)

This colony is half wiped out. I lost a purple/green cat eye and watermelon to.

i think that zoa melting is related to water conditons, i heard that zoas grow more successfully in water rich in nutrients and macro elements, my theory is that very clean water with 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate could be harmful for zoas. those elements are helpful for xooxanthellas and cellular growth.
Vitamin c is a source of carbon which is one of the macro elements as Nitrogen and phosphates essentials for coral growth and metabolism. This may explain the amelioration seen after the addition of vitamin C
I started lately to add nitrogen compounds to raise slightly my nitrate level which was zero as i had the problem of melting despite excellent water parameters

Last edited:
How does this explain then that when VC is added, it reduces nitrate, yet improvres zoanthid health & growth?

My idea is that a good carbon source will increase phosphate consumption by xootanthellas thus increasing coral growth and reducing phosphate levels in water.this may explain how vitamin c works.

I think it is all a problem of equilibrium between Carbon, Nitrogen and Phosphate proportion.
too low nitrogen will lead to bad Phosphate consumption by cells

Too much phosphate is as harmful as zero phosphate etc..

I can t deny the utility of vitamin c in the treatment of melting zoa syndrome.
But we don t have the full explanation of its mechanism of action.

Last edited:
Have you seen where some are thinking that since VC helps build collagen in cells, this may be the reason for improvement?

I read this in your thread, i know that vitamin c is helpful in building connective tissue in humans thats sure, i don t know if it has the same effect in corals
vitamin c has saved my colonie the first time they melted. a real miracle.

Back