Zooxanthellae Transplant for Bleached Anemones

Here is my Anemone today. Not completely recovered yet but is on his way. Look like he will be greenish Gigantea

attachment.php

Attachments

• PetcoGigantea2016013001.jpg
    PetcoGigantea2016013001.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 5
Here is my Anemone today. Not completely recovered yet but is on his way. Look like he will be greenish Gigantea

attachment.php

Very nice! Should work out well. I lost mine last week while I was on vaca. I think the tank was overfed b/c there was a ton of red alg growing everywhere when I returned. My family and I were also stuck for an extra 3 days due to the almost 3' of snow we got from the blizzard. It was looking ill right before I left but due to the trip, I couldnt cipro. I was hoping it would hang on but w/the tank a bit out of wack, I guess it had no chance. The interesting thing, however, is that my ocellaris clown now hosts the RBTA. Didnt do that before putting in the carpet! I would like to get another but am not feeling like risking it - plus it was such a pain to find.

When I have a sitter take care of my tank, I portion out the amount of food each time the sitter to feed the tank. In fact, for anything add to the tank, I specifically portion the amount, or specifically ask them to give an specific amout. This prevent a lot of disaster, especially if you ask a non reefer to take care of your tank.
I even show them exactly how to clip the Nori on the holder.
I mark the water level and if need how much water to add (in the event that my auto top off not 100% correct). I don't use a level control top off but an an adjustable continuous pump to add Kalk.

Too compulsive you said? No, not at all. What is common sense to us is not at all common send for another person.

I totally agree Minh - not a bit compulsive when you're trying to be safe. I actually did portion the feedings into cubes per day and cut slices for the eel. However, the person helping me, didnt quite understand due to her excitement of the tank and all that was inside. She ended up putting in whole shrimp chunks for the eel leaving it in the water to decompose if it wasnt eaten. Also the storm was so severe, no one could get to the house to top off the top off container. That caused the ATO pump to burn up. It was running dry for about 2 days. Not enough to destroy anything in the tank, luckily. All things considered, I was lucky. Not much damage just a bunch of cyano and a dead baby carpet that wasnt doing so well to begin with. Now I'm debating getting another.

Final update. My Gigantea is well at this time. I will feed him and get him bigger. Zooxanthellae repopulated but still light at places. I expect him to continue to improve and grow. Never mind the flat worms in my QT. I need to re setup this tank to eliminate the flatworms.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PetcoGigantea2016021101.jpg
    PetcoGigantea2016021101.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 5
  • PetcoGigantea2016021102.jpg
    PetcoGigantea2016021102.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 5
Mini max carpets stay little bit carpets tend to be more predatory they're dangerous only if you keep gobies or blennies that move at the bottom

Not having another Anemone to do a transplant from, how would I take a donor sample and transport it home without losing the Zooxanthellae? Just in a ziplock full of tank water?

I think keeping it from drying out ans use it as soon as you get home would be the thing to do. Make sure you thaw the food in tank water and the temp of the food is at tank temperature to keep the zooxanthellae from getting temperature and salinity shock.

OK, great thanks. If my new BTA doesn't color up after a month or two I'll look into this further. Thanks Minh.

I doubt that any zooxanthellae will remain a live in a bottle for very long, if they are alive to begin with.

Should I be concerned about this BTA that I have? It was white when I bought it from the store..... Since then it has grown...seems really happy where it is. extends out more, is "bubbly" which I take to be a good sign.... Everything else in my tank seems to be doing great. Water parameters are great. Calcium levels are fine. lighting is great. my other BTA is still colorful and happy.... just worried that i might need to be concerned with this little guys color....

I am not sure the actual color of this anemone, however there seem to be a little brown that I see. He will be fine. He is not 100% bleached and should recover given good condition. Update if you can.

Back