Zooxanthellae Transplant for Bleached Anemones

I am sure that someone will be able to isolate and growth cultures of Zooxanthellae, like the scientists in the link you provided above. However, I do not think that the bottle of

Algagen PhycoPureâ„¢ Zooxanthellae (Assorted species) Item: BEH-84761(as per Live Aquaria)
would provide live or usable strains of zooxanthellae as claimed.
I think isolate growing them in control setting is one thing, but then bottle them up and put them on shelf of stores where they are in there, non aerated, no temp control, no light for days, weeks or months; any living organism in there would be long gone by the time we dump it into our tank. My most likely guess would be we just dump some expensive dirty water into our tank.

While I maybe completely wrong about this but I have attempt to keep living culture of various organism before. Each organism does have very specific condition where it thrive at. For cultures of this sort, having verified viable sample, transport overnight in thermally isolated condition is likely need to keep it viable. Also, there are a numbers of Zooxanthellae strains. Those that living in one coral, even of the same species, may not be the same as those that live in another coral. There also evidence of a numbers of species of Zooxanthellae living in the same host.

This is part of the disclaimer of the Scientist that culture these zooxanthellae. If you want to request a sample, you must agree in written before they transfer a sample of these zooxanthellae to you:

Transfer of BURR Cultures Agreement FormName: ________________________________________________________________Email address: __________________________________________________________Phone number: __________________________________________________________Address to ship samples:FedEX (or other overnight courier) Number: _________________________________List of cultures requested:Culture IDClade/cp-type*Culture ID Clade/cp-type**cp-type- symbiont strain based on fragment size of hypervariable region of chloroplast 23S rDNACost - $90.00 per culture plus a $13.00 administrative fee Summary of intended use of cultures:You acknowledge that many of our cultures are not axenic or well characterized. Furthermore, our cultures are not necessarily representative of the symbionts within the host from which they were isolated. We have verified this for somecultures, but not for all. This point is important when reporting any findings from these cultures. However, if you agree to several things, then I am happy to authorize the transfer

I am sure that someone will be able to isolate and growth cultures of Zooxanthellae, like the scientists in the link you provided above. However, I do not think that the bottle of

Algagen PhycoPureâ„¢ Zooxanthellae (Assorted species) Item: BEH-84761(as per Live Aquaria)
would provide live or usable strains of zooxanthellae as claimed.
I think isolate growing them in control setting is one thing, but then bottle them up and put them on shelf of stores where they are in there, non aerated, no temp control, no light for days, weeks or months; any living organism in there would be long gone by the time we dump it into our tank. My most likely guess would be we just dump some expensive dirty water into our tank.

The first bottle I got from LiveAquaria was dead. But then Algagen sent me a fresh replacement and the algae in that one were alive.
However, they failed to infect the anemone I had gotten them for.
So I would say it is rather unlikely to get a benefit from these whether they are alive or not.

While I maybe completely wrong about this but I have attempt to keep living culture of various organism before. Each organism does have very specific condition where it thrive at. For cultures of this sort, having verified viable sample, transport overnight in thermally isolated condition is likely need to keep it viable. Also, there are a numbers of Zooxanthellae strains. Those that living in one coral, even of the same species, may not be the same as those that live in another coral. There also evidence of a numbers of species of Zooxanthellae living in the same host.

There has and still is a lot of research done on this in regards to coral bleaching and the results are so far that there are some coral that have a very specific Symbiodinium mix while others are open to a large variety of types and strains.
Given that host anemones are more scattered over the reefs and in the high intensity light range I could see them to be less specific. For example, I'm quite certain that a bleached crispa I once had acquired symbionts from a neighboring Anthelia colony. The re-colonization/colorization started precisely in those tentacles that frequently got in contact with the Anthelia. So it didn't only cross a species barrier but went to a quite distant genus.
Geographic origin may possibly have more to do with it than species.

So I got a new magnifica that isn't bleached and took 2 or 3 tentacles from it and injected them with a syringe into the gastral cavity of my bleached magnifica. The tentacles stayed wet all the time and it took only a couple of seconds from harvest to injection.

I have to go with injecting the transplants this way since the magnifica doesn't have a strong enough feeding reflex to actually grab food and put it into her mouth. Aside from that, the bicinctus steal or fan away any food I put into the anemone.

The injection was a week ago but so far I can't see any success of the procedure.
To make matters worse, the new anemone has started deflating so I will likely have to treat it ... which may lead to it bleaching as well...:headwally:

I had tried feeding my other bleached anemone, a gigantea from LA, a few tentacles from my healthy giganteas about a months ago, but the transfer also didn't take.

great thread.......

the French Polynesia have a non described Orange Fin Anemonefish species.....

these places are suffering severe bleaching of (Heteractis magnifica)......

Zooxanthellae transplanting could be the solution......this non described species is already threatened...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnYECI875RU

Very interesting. I wonder if chopping up or even blending a tenticals or two would work better at transferring the zooxanthellae?
While I have 30+ BTAs none are bleached. The ones lower in my tank are lighter in color but color up quickly when the move higher up in the tank.

So : ThRoewer: are you saying that if a bleached gig comes and snuggles up to one with zooxanthelle the transfer will occur ? that is what I have going on now in my tank,,1 healthy green and a bleached gig making lots of continous contact with it...will it work ?? anyone ?

So : ThRoewer: are you saying that if a bleached gig comes and snuggles up to one with zooxanthelle the transfer will occur ? that is what I have going on now in my tank,,1 healthy green and a bleached gig making lots of continous contact with it...will it work ?? anyone ?

I am not ThRoewer but since I started this thread I will try to answer your question.
We know that corals and anemone will internalize Zooxanthellae from the water by internalized. We know that baby clams will feed and get zooxanthellae from the clam farmers blender an adult clams to feed the babies.
Bleached anemones will eventually get zooxanthellae from the healthy anemone eventually. However if you want to give a large amount of zooxanthellae quickly the cut a few tentacles of the healthy anemone and feed it to the bleached one.
Be careful to keep the zooxanthellae in the cut tentacles variable by not get it dry out, temp or salinity shock. If you are able to do this and your anemone s of the same species the transplant will be effective a great majority of the time. I have done this about 10 times and only have 1 failure and thinking back I know h TTh e reason for my failure as documented in this thread.

ok, thnx..will the bleached gig just ingest tentacles from a healthy one or does it need to be mixed with food ?

However you get the anemone to ingest the tentacle. In a piece of food is easiest. I learn from doing this thread:
Don’t let the tentacle dry out, even slightly. This really change the salinity and stress/kill the zooxanthellae. Best to keep them in tank water.
Thawn the frozen food in tank water first. Don’t let the Zooxanthellae experience temp shock or the thaw out ice crystal in the Food result in salinity shock.
Zooxanthellae are fairly wimpy and will die if they experience any of this and result in a fail transplant.
Normally it just take me second. Trying to document these with camera results in prolong process and failure for me.

It works !!! about 10 days after I fed my bleached gig a few tentacles from my green gig mixed with food...he's got that "dirty" look to the the tentacles..it's only in patches -but it's there I fed it yesterday and it devoured the food..I'm optimistic about a recovery..For those who have been through this process : how long does it take until the nem fully recovers all it's zoo ?? and resembles what we consider to be a healthy gig ?

Last edited:
So if you don't have a second anemone to transplant with, is there ever any hope of the anemone regaining its zoos on its own?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So if you don't have a second anemone to transplant with, is there ever any hope of the anemone regaining its zoos on its own?

Forgot to mention that it is a maxi mini carpet anemone, we have had it for about 4 years.

If you don't have a second anemone of the same species, I would try another animal that you think closed to the bleached anemone, or feeding him with several samples of various animals. If you give him a wide variety of choices, he may end up with a few that is acceptable to him.

It works !!! about 10 days after I fed my bleached gig a few tentacles from my green gig mixed with food...he's got that "dirty" look to the the tentacles..it's only in patches -but it's there I fed it yesterday and it devoured the food..I'm optimistic about a recovery..For those who have been through this process : how long does it take until the nem fully recovers all it's zoo ?? and resembles what we consider to be a healthy gig ?

Update : the gig I did the transplant on is now FULLY recovered and very sticky..turned out to be a very dark green/blue color...The tentacles I fed it were from my purple..AMAZING ..

Back