1+ yr... does it sound like they are paired?

SeanTay00

My two false percs have now been living together for over a year and I'm still wondering if they are paired. I first placed the "female" (2 inches), who I thought was the female, in the tank first. I then added a juvenile that was .75 inch big a couple weeks later. They fought like crazy at first, actually had to put the little guy in a seperated container in the tank to heal up.

The female is now about 2.5 inches and the juvenile/male is right around an inch. The little one follows the female like a puppy and is rarely outside of 6-12 inches site from her. The thing is they still fight alot, especially during feeding time. I have seen the little guy do the sideways wiggle before, although now he just seems to dodge the attacks by darting away. At night time they both sleep in the same zoo coral, but night directly by eachother.

What are your thoughts? Pair or no pair? Still pairing perhaps? I want to add another BTA but last time the female was EXTREMELY protective of it... Kinda holding out until I'm pretty sure they are a pair. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

It might be useful to consider the definition of "pair." My maroon clown male/female tolerated each other and the male did the mating dance, but they never nested/laid eggs in the three years I had them, so I'm not sure they could be called a pair.

Did they still fight alot? Or sleep together in the same anem... I don't expect them to spawn, but I was kind of expecting them to be a little less agressive by now.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7536444#post7536444 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SeanTay00
Did they still fight alot? Or sleep together in the same anem... I don't expect them to spawn, but I was kind of expecting them to be a little less agressive by now.

They didn't fight at all beyond the first day I introduced them in the tank. The female would nip every once in awhile, but nothing really aggressive; they were always near each other.

Back