1000 Gallon Build- Here we go- Lots of Pictures

Perhaps this article on water changes should be required reading. Small daily changes may be okay for well established tanks, but they may not be appropriate in all cases. Have a look at the article to understand that this is not such a simple topic.

Dave.M

Indeed a good read. Once thing that stuck out to me is that the author himself uses the continuous water change method. He does mention doing the occasional larger continuous water change but uses the smaller daily water change method like what I would suggest. This quote from him reflects my feelings as well.

"These changes are slightly less efficient than single batch water changes of the same total volume. A continuous water change of 30% exactly matches one batch 26% water change. As with very small batch water changes, these have the advantage of neither stressing the organisms (assuming the change is done reasonably slowly), nor altering the water level in the aquarium. The ease of doing such changes automatically also makes it far more likely that busy or lazy aquarists will actually do them."

The key in my mind and experience is that nitrate levels will be the best indicator of the effectiveness of the water changes. Start off with smaller water changes and if the nitrates are detectable, increase the amount until you find the correct balance. With continuous daily water changes the parameters in the tank will be much more consistent which will make finding the correct balance in terms of monthly or weekly volume much easier. Obviously other factors like Calcium levels and Alk need attention in a reef system. For larger tanks with minimal calcium uptake, no additional supplementation may been needed however in a reef system with lots of corals taking up the elements, calcium and Alk dosing or a calcium reactor may be required. At this stage, I don't think any of those factors are a real concern for Sam. At least not until he gets a bunch of coral in his system. There isn't really anything in there taking up those elements and if his salt is being mixed to 1.025 or 1.026, his calcium and Alk levels should be fine for now. He also doesn't have a load and because of that, there should be much if any detectable nutrients at this stage.

Socaltoaz you have the skim cleaner from Carsten Prang (Aquadriver) he just updated his product. Now it is better then before and I thought this is not possible. Take a look. The new generation name is Helix. The motor is smaller and not so high like the old one. For people using this under the tank it is important. The energy connection is better safed for saltwater and the waterconnection for cleaning the outside of the tube is better installed. We two buy the cleaner a few months to early [emoji1]

https://youtu.be/6-pebeQ6HCE

Last edited:
I have been going through 52 pages so far of your build thread since i have nothing to do at work. Congrats on your magnificent tank especially the sump. Your house is beautiful, and thank you for sharing with us.

Dave- thanks for the link. its good reading.
AWD- while I don't agree with your premise of no water changes, I am convinced after doing some reading last night that less is more. In fact other than adding some sort of calcium dosing system to my tank in the future, Im done with equipment and crap for the tank. Ive seen some great set ups of some of the prominent reefers here and its super impressive but also super intimidating. Im happy to have a stable tank so far with happy healthy fish and coral that are swimming around and enjoying their habitat.

I agree and found the article worth reading.

My point being that you can do much less frequent water changes but I never recommend not doing water changes; I misspoke if that was your understanding. It isn't something I just did overnight either. The system was well established and I did it incrementally. Even so I still did water changes but infrequent and in small quantities.

I didn't have near the equipment you have and you have an excellent set up one that will always be the envy of other reefers. The volume alone will be more significant to your success than all the fancy equipment out there.

So here is an update to my build. We moved in a few months ago. The tank is the centerpiece of our home. We built the house around the tank- all plumbing is run under the tank. Instead of photos, because I can now add video using tapatalk- here is the fist video of the tank. This is what a visitor sees as they enter our home. I'll post more videos later. https://vimeo.com/150292472

Socaltoaz you have the skim cleaner from Carsten Prang (Aquadriver) he just updated his product. Now it is better then before and I thought this is not possible. Take a look. The new generation name is Helix. The motor is smaller and not so high like the old one. For people using this under the tank it is important. The energy connection is better safed for saltwater and the waterconnection for cleaning the outside of the tube is better installed. We two buy the cleaner a few months to early [emoji1]

Good observation. He does have the AquaDriver SkimClean that was supplied by Royal Exclusiv. I've been using the AquaDriver for 5 years myself. They are by far the best self cleaning heads on the market. Carsten makes a great product. I am presently setup as the US service center for the original AquaDriver. Without a doubt, Helix will be even better. Especially for those with limited space above their tank. I have had discussions with Cartsten about stocking and distributing the Helix myself in the US (seperate from RE) and resestablishing a reseller channel for them. It's been several years since they were available in the US and I aim to change that as there is no self cleaning head with the quality of the AquaDriver.

Here is another video with more details on the current inhabitants of the tank. Obviously we are going to be adding lots more stuff in the coming months- but this should suffice for now. More updates coming:https://vimeo.com/150294875

Looking great Sam! You home turned out amazing!! I can't wait to see the progression of your tank! It's spectacular as it is and it can only get better!

It's great that you can make these quickie videos, but I don't see any way to make them full screen so that I can actually see any details. How does it work? Thx.

Dave.M

It's great that you can make these quickie videos, but I don't see any way to make them full screen so that I can actually see any details. How does it work? Thx.

Dave.M

To he right of the play bar on the bottom are 4 arrows pointing in opposite directions...click that and it should make the video go full screen

Mr J&J said:
To he right of the play bar on the bottom are 4 arrows pointing in opposite directions...click that and it should make the video go full screen
I am on a PC using Firefox. All I see is a heart at top right, a folded paper air plane underneath that, and at the bottom right a T in a cartoon bubble.

In playing around with the source code I see that these videos are being hosted on Vimeo but the way the links are set up I cannot jump to a separate tab to view the video there. I guess I'll have to do some tests to see how to get Vimeo videos to show up correctly here.

Dave.M

I am on a PC using Firefox. All I see is a heart at top right, a folded paper air plane underneath that, and at the bottom right a T in a cartoon bubble.

In playing around with the source code I see that these videos are being hosted on Vimeo but the way the links are set up I cannot jump to a separate tab to view the video there. I guess I'll have to do some tests to see how to get Vimeo videos to show up correctly here.

Dave.M

So to the left of the "T" you don't have the expand button?

very cool but my current one is just fine. works great.

I have been going through 52 pages so far of your build thread since i have nothing to do at work. Congrats on your magnificent tank especially the sump. Your house is beautiful, and thank you for sharing with us.

Thank you. I hope you don't get in trouble at work. :)

I agree and found the article worth reading.

My point being that you can do much less frequent water changes but I never recommend not doing water changes; I misspoke if that was your understanding. It isn't something I just did overnight either. The system was well established and I did it incrementally. Even so I still did water changes but infrequent and in small quantities.

I didn't have near the equipment you have and you have an excellent set up one that will always be the envy of other reefers. The volume alone will be more significant to your success than all the fancy equipment out there.

Agree. My water quality is holding up great and the fantastic equipment from Royal Exclusive certainly helps.

How are you QTing the inhabitants you're putting in?

2 week quarantine has been working fine so far.

Back