14 Gallon Bio cube

Davearino

I just purchased my first salt water tank, I have had it running for 5 days with ro from the store 10 pounds of live sand, Base rock and 2 pieces of live rock. The water clarity is great and everything looks good so far, I have a question about the critters that came on the live rock.

As i was at the store looking at all the live rocks and deciding what would look the best I was chatting with another member of this board and he warned me about these red flowing looking things that were all over the live rocks, He warned me they would take over the tank and hurt any soft corals If i decide to have them. I questioned the clerk about that and she said that it was an accurate statement but pointed out a different flower looking creature. Anyways I lucked out and have both of these now growing in the tank and I now see more of them popping up in different places.

So I am posting pictures below, Can someone point out which one is bad and how to remove them and If i should?

I love the board and am looking forward to see my new tank come to life..

Thanks,

-Dave

Attachments

• IMG_6095.jpg
    IMG_6095.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6079.jpg
    IMG_6079.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6083.jpg
    IMG_6083.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1
Second pic is aiptasia, third looks to be majanos, use aiptasia x to kill both. Where did you go that someone actually let you buy this rock?

+1 on the peppermint shrimp. I'm thinking you got the rock from creature on front st. All the live rock in there is covered. If you do live in the binghamton area I have two shrimp left over from a order I messed up and got to many. I believe my friend may still have some also.

I bought both rocks at Creature comforts on front st. Being that it is only 6 days old should i do somthing more aggressie like start again?

I understand the first is bad for the tank, Is the other bad as well?

You do not need to start over, just get a few peppermint shrimp in there to control the pests before you have a real problem.

Welcome to STRS Dave. Sorry you have to endure this so early in your setup. Definitely do something now! Both of these pests will spread like wildfire and sounds like they have already started and it will only get worse. As stated above aiptasia x works well but peppermint shrimp are hit and miss with it being more miss than hit IMO. But being that you have no fish yet peppermints maybe the better of the two. If you put them in do not I repeat do not feed them. Most of the time they do not work because people have to feed there fish and are indirectly feed the shrimp. But being you do not have to feed the tank they will get hungry enough and they will eat these pests IMO. Or you could always take it back and ask why they sold you crap rock. They should give you a couple of peps to clear it up. What are you planning for the tank a Reef or fish only? Good luck man keep us posted.

Chilofgod, I would like to touch base with you today if you are available to get a few of the shrimp if i am ok to drop them in a non-cycled tank.

HI Dave, Thanks for the post, First and foremost I am trying to figure out how to deal with this issue. I am very upset that the store sold me rocks with these creatures on it, I am going to go back and talk to them and see what they will do for me.

Thanks for the info on the shrimp I am going to get in touch with childofgod to see if
I can get those in there today and get the process started.

My plan was to cycle with just the live rock for a month or so and get the environment very strong before i introduced anything live. But I did have plans to introduce a few small fish (haven't decided what ones) I really don't have a long term plan as of yet right now I am really enjoying watching everything come to life. So I hope I can get this issue under control without having to do anything drastic.

-Dave

Your rock looks pretty cured so your cycle should be pretty quick and light. The peppermints should be able to handle it.

Check your tank for ammonia and nitrite if both are zero then no problem cycle is done but if they are not I would wait on the shrimp. Check all the other parameters to see if they are in range as well.

Thanks guys,
All the levels looked good so into the tank both the new shrimp went. They hid pretty much the rest of the day, but once the lights were off they went to town because there isn’t a sign that they ever existed....

They will do a good job cleaning up any left over fish food. I would not feed them intentionally , you want good and hungry so they will take care your aiptasia.

Doesnt look like they ate any of the manajos. BUt they might if I dont feed them. Just concerned if i dont feed them for long enough will they die off?

Back