160 gallon peninsula reef build

actually I got them all from Exotic Aquarium. that place has really turned around since it opened. great, healthy livestock and real nice corals!

Wow that tank is looking awesome I was trying to convince the wife we needed one of those this morning. I am not sure how that is going. lol. Are your excellent tank building services up for hire?

Hey,

Lighting- 8x 54w t5's overdriven on icecaps

How do you like your light setup, is it providing you with enough for all the coral? If you don't mind me asking did you set all of that up yourself and was it a lot cheaper than going with a all in one setup?

Thanks

Last edited:
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...x54W_Tek_2_T5_Very_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_Sunlight_Supply
there you go- that's the exact set I picked up. Greg at reef geek is real nice and informative.
If I could go back I would do it differently, I would get either 10 or 12x 39w overdriven. I am not really happy with the way they are staggard in the canopy. They look incredible and you would never tell, that's just the anal side of me ( I want it to look nice and neat!)

for some reason the link didn't connect. If you go there though look under t5 lighting, sunlight supply retro fit, and then 8x54 watt VERY high output, not just the high output ones.

Why not just go with 6 or 8 of the overdriven 60" 80w bulbs, it would keep the price down and the wattage up?

Just trying to look at pricing for a new system, I don't want to short myself but less money the better.

Was looking around and did not know if you had considered a Tunze wavebox and why if yes/no? Do you think it would work with the overflow on one side only?

Thanks for all of your insight

never thought of that. Tank is 7 feet though. that would leave me 1 foot on each side without direct light, unless I stagger them again. A wavebox won't fit on the wall side of my tank. Yes I did consider one. The only real problem I have heard with people with penninsula's and wave boxes is that the teeth on the overflow need to be longer to allow for the wave to go up and down and not break up or have a dry paint in the drains.

I think i might be getting your build thread off topic but could you use the end overflow with slits at the top and in the middle somewhere to reduce the toilet sound?

or could you make a middle of the tank overflow within a rock pile to conceal most of it and still have the wave box on the side.

I will stop asking questions hear getting Tangers awesome build thread off topic.

I actually don't have my drains on dursos. I was never able to tune them properly and if I was it would only last for a couple days then back to flushing. My drains sit below the top of the overflow box (approx 6") and have a gate valve on them below the tank. I close the gate valve just enough to basically create a siphon. No air bubbles, no toilet flushing, etc... You could possibly do that and maybe just lower the drains a little more than I have mine to ensure no flushing sound. I have seen wave boxes before but have no first hand experience.

How are the sps doing? I had some tips die off and bleaching recently. My PH and ALK got all hosed up - I had a bad PH probe that caused serious kalk overdosing, likely taking my actual PH way too high. But I'm getting it straightened out. Hopefully the corals will recover now.

Back