240g Tank Restoration

After all the rapid progress, now the waiting begins. What are you going to do with yourself?

Used Dr Tims and dozing ammonia, expected cycle to be around a week or two. Once ammonia and nitrite both hit zero that is. And then after a bit going to get an algae crew of tang and a blenny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's your fish list for that tank?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nothing crazy as of right now, going to kind of go with the flow. Never had a tank this big so plenty of options.

Right now I know I want a unique clown pair, yellow tang, bristletooth tang, lawn mower blenny, marandarin, cleaner shrimp, goby.

So just to keep things updated, no pics as we are currently nothing worth showing.

However, I setup the APEX a lot better, added some leak detection and added the breakout box with a float switch for the skimmate collection cup for the protein skimmer.

We officially cycled boys! Now time for a big water change and let the fun begin.
2e19aa51ef4a80210cbd0b0e7a9e656c.jpg

So ph: 7.97, dkH: 6.8, alk: 410, mag: 1400. Do I 2 part dose to raise alk and calc which should raise ph? Or do I raise ph another way and hope it raises dkH and calc

Salinity is 1.025

Sweet setup and i love Dr tims its magic sauce for tanks

I actually had issues with dr time and switched to another product that worked wonders, Turbo Start.

I will say though I got Dr Tims from a crap LFS and I got Turbo Start from a way better LFS that had it refrigerated and looked not out dated.

Alright, been awhile since an update, where do I even begin.

So tank is slowly coming together, got some test coral to see what the tank could handle. The test coral was a mix of Zoas, orange tip torch, 2x bird nest sps, 2x hammers. Everything was going great but eventually the sps both died. The rest of the coral were doing great. I tested all my parameters and everything was in line with being good, undetectable phosphates (not low range), ammonia zero, nitrate low, ammonia and nitrite both zero. Alk 8.5, Calc 450, Mag 1450, Salinity 1.026, temp 78-79 every once and awhile jumps to 80.

I do have algae, which might be hiding a phosphate problem.

Ever since the sps died, I started dosing vodka daily (around 2.5 ml a day currently) and slowly increasing it until the extra algae dies off. Also dosing flatworm stop daily just because. I know its stupid, but have heard good t hings about it bringing out color in corals so figured I would try it.

Started adding Kalk to my ATO and stopped dosing two part for now. This seems to have helped with my lower Ph, originally around 7.75 now around 7.95) and has help me keep a more stable Alk and Calc.

Also got some additional fish. I have gotten another cleaner shrimp, 2x conches and 1x male Anthias, 4x female Anthias.

After all that, I got phosphates under control and decided to do a big haul of coral for round 2.

Corals below:

Mammoth Candy Cane (died)

Hollywood Stunner Chalice

JF Burning Banana

Tyree Aequituberculata

Rising Sun Chalice

CC Cloudberry Chalice

Rainbow Acan

JF Jack-O-Latern

TSA Merlot Merletti

Space Invader Chalice

g71hCL3.png

So far things are looking pretty good, corals have extended polyps but we shall see.

FINALLY, I had a tang overhaul too. This happened yesterday. Tank went from just having a yellow tang, to Yellow Tang, Powder Brown Tang, Hippo Tang and a Sailfin Tang. Had a lights out last night and they are doing well.

Pictures to come of all the fish, corals in tank and how the tank looks today. Waiting to find some pieces to the tripod so I can breakout the DSLR and take some good macro shots of the tank.

Thanks for listening to my TedTalk, more updates to come.

Back