240g Tank Restoration

Hey All,

So old reefer here, had a 75g tank setup about 8-9 years ago and since had a lot happen. Got married, adopted a beautiful baby boy (who is almost ten months now!), got an amazing house and now that life is in order, knock on wood, I found a deal of a life time and I couldn't pass it up.

We are buying a used tank, about 7-8 years old, that is 240g. The tank is 8x2x2, has duel corner overflows and a 90g sump. Stand and canopy are currently black and the tank is covered top to bottom in coraline.

Equipment list consists of:

Lights
3x Kessil A360WE
4x VipraSpectra 165w

Protein Skimmer
Super Reef Octopus SRO-5000INT 10”

Power Heads
1x Gyre XF250
2x Reef Octo Pulse

Return Pump
Eheim 1262

Heater
1000W True Temp Titanium Heating

Other Equipment
Apex Classic Controller
JBJ ATO Top off
Off Brand Dosing Pumps

We go to pick up the tank next week, sadly trying to find 4 additional people to drive an hour and a half away to go pick up a mammoth of glass is proving difficult. Trying to rent a uhaul there, hiring a moving company to come and move it into the uhaul for me and then will have friends back home to help take it out of the truck into the garage.

This weeks goals are to get a dedicated circuit, maybe two if I am lucky, of 2x20 amp receptacles and clear off the area where the tank is going to go. Will need to buy some 100% silicone because the tank will need to be resealed.

I also need to order/buy some foam for transportation and get my big boy pants on for this new adventure.

If you made it this far thanks for reading!

P.S - If you have any advice or suggestions, would love to hear them, been so long since I have been out of the hobbie and love hearing peoples ideas.

raqGt9d.png

Got my dedicated 20 amp receptacle add today, additionally hired a moving company to move the tank to my house Saturday!

56ea351b0265f8d09a0f73807b2ad38b.jpg

Got all the extra equipment in the garage. Waiting for the tank and stand be delivered. Next week is going to be cleaning, stripping and resealing!

Tank refinishing still on its way. Doors should go on today and I am adding the middle brace back on, think previous owner cut it. Also going to remove the sump and finish cleaning that. Finally, paint the whole inside of the stand, black.

WTxIoxw.png

Great work! Consider painting the inside white. Because it reflects light better, so you'll be able to see better under there.

Sorry for the blurry picture, late last night.

Not much visual progress, got the canape painted, will look like wood in the next post! Hooked the lights up to Apex, going to need some tweeks there and a bunch of cable management. Tank goes into the living room tomorrow! Pipe work is today and then an overnight flood test to see if it has any leaks.

G6slHGC.png

Like clockwork! Impressive progress.

I've recently learned that cycling with the lights out is the way to go. Consider it.

Back