260 gallon (96x24x26) reef and fish room upgrade

TheAquatect

I Could Stop If I Wanted
I've been patiently planning my next upgrade for a pretty long time and I am just dying to get a build thread going, share what I've come up with and get some feedback as I go! I am finally to the point where I am ready to order the tank and star acquiring equipment for the build. I am also going to be doing this in conjunction with a renovation project so it's bound to be fun.

My current system is a 150g tall (48x24x30) in-wall tank with a glass-holes overflow and a tek 8 bulb T5, which has been up and running for a little over 3 years. I will be trying to figure out what to do with the tank and inhabitants since the in-wall tank sits in the fish room where the door needs to go. More on that idea later..

Here is a breakdown of the tanks and equipment so far:
Proposed Display Tank:
96"l x 24"w x 26"h ¾" glass, euro-braced
notched back external 1.5" bean animal overflow OR synergy reef 20" ghost overflow (TBD)

Display Tank Pumps:
Vectra L1 for main return
Maxspect Gyre XF150
4 ¾" Sea Swirls

Stand:
38" tall, built using 80/20 40mm t-slot extruded aluminum
Lighting:
4 kessil A360WE
6 54w T5

Sump/refugium:
Deep Blue Professional ADB11080 48"w x 24"d x 16"h 80g
Frag Tank:
Deep Blue Professional ADB18080 48"w x 24"d x 16"h 80g
Jebao RW-8 for circulation

Filtration:
SRO 5000ext
GFO and Carbon via 2 Two Little Fishies 150 reactors

Other equipment:
Neptune Apex to automate some control
2 95g vertical water storage containers for sw and ro storage and eventual automated water changes.
Jebao DP-4 Auto Dosing Pump (Alk, Ca, Mg, Vodka)

OK, on to the good stuff. I took the time to build a scale model of the DT room and the adjoining fish room to make sure I understood how it would look, what plumbing I needed, and what extra goodies I could fit ;)

Here is the first shot of our family room with the tank in its spot. I'm in love with the 8ft tank idea and while I was tempted to go 36" deep, I have been very pleased with my 24" deep 150g and I could not come out any further due to layout/wife restrictions. The hood and final design of the stand is TBD, I'm still trying to work on it. The door to the right is the entrance to the fish room.

Next up is the fish room. Forgive the "œfloating tanks," I'm switching over the stand to 80/20 t-slot aluminum. The room is 6' x 8.5' has plumbing for a drain and hot and cold water, backs up to the garage for water storage, is adjacent to the DT. To the right is some cabinets, shelves and an extra deep sink. Back wall has the frag tank, sump and SRO 5000ext, which will be plumbed to the drain for overflow. Top-off will be via a 5g container under the sump and on the left wall will be the drain and return lines for the DT, valves for controlling flow and a board for the Apex controllers.

Here is a more direct shot of the sink and workstation.

And of the plumbing wall. The white box on the right is the "œSRO 5000ext" to make sure it fits.

And finally, here is a shot of my current 150.

So, here is where I am at with this project as of tonight.
I am ordering the tank this week and have already ordered the lighting and Vectra L1 so I can start building out the fish room and have it ready to plumb into the tank when it is delivered.
I am now looking at the plumbing order for the schedule 80 valves and fittings and the 3d model has been VERY helpful in finalizing that plan.
I am planning on using schedule 40 pipe, painted red and blue with krylon.

I am sure I left out quite a few bits of detail but I welcome feedback on design, layout etc.. I also have to give props to one of my LFS, Drysdale Aquarium. I love supporting local businesses. I gave him my list of equipment before shopping online and ended up saving some $$! So support your LFS!

Cheers!

Thanks! Looks like I'll be ordering the tank in the next day or 2. Had one more request for an updated quote to go 30" high. Gotta embrace the addiction. lol

That is gonna be awesome. I have seen tanks of that footprint in 24" high and 30" high side by side. The 30 inch depth is incredible to look at and makes the tank a real wall of life, but it is very tough to reach the bottom to fetch anything or work on it. The 24" depth is easier to maintain but when side by side it does seem to be "shallow" and less ocean like.

You really cant go wrong with either, just get thick glass or eurobrace it a bunch to prevent bowing!

I am planning a 300 right now along these lines. I will be following this build!

Thanks. Welcome to the thread! I LOVE my 30" tall 150, but I HATE when I have to reach into it. I cant even reach the bottom if I need to but I know what you mean, height adds some nice scale. I've got rock work that spires up 23" and it still has plenty of room to the top. :) Should hear back tomorrow.

I was wondering when you would start build thread. If you need any help let me know.

Following

Hey Z! Thanks, I figured it was good timing now that all the planning was done. Appreciate the offer, same goes for you and your build too.

Today was a good day, got my lighting and main pump in. This will go a long way to helping me design a nice hood/canopy and get the plumbing going. Patience is going to be really hard now! :rollface:

Doug do the LET t5 come with program start ballest? I am looking for t5 for 8 foot upgrade as well. I have to send you a list of items as well.

So at this point I am mildly obsessing over contractor estimates to move some doors and do some renovations to get me to the fish room in the 3D model. It's all wrapped up in a bedroom/bathroom remodel and since my fish room was the closet for this bedroom/bathroom, a new one needs to be created and the original door moved into the main living area. Of course the door needs to go where my current 150 is, so I need to start tearing it down/move it some time soon. I am dreading this part.

Forgot to add I second great LFS "Doug and John at drysdale are awesome". are you keeping the 150?

Still undecided. I might. It wont end up in this build though.

Looks like a fun project. Congrats!
Thanks! Welcome to the thread!

Thanks guys. We are as eager to see this project develop as Joe is. You've really done your homework and it will pay off.
You guys continue to be a great help indeed!

Doug do the LET t5 come with program start ballest? I am looking for t5 for 8 foot upgrade as well. I have to send you a list of items as well.

Z, it does not. I also wanted program start to extend bulb life but rather than go with separate parts, I opted for the kits with the idea of swapping out the ballasts at some later time.

Exciting build, man! I'm following....

Are you planning to use sand? I'm not a big fan of bare bottom.

What kind of corals is going to be the predominant species?

What made you decide using Kessil & T5? Have you decided which T5 color bulbs are you going to use?

Did you order the tank already?

This is going to be a great and well thought out build. My only suggestion would be do 96 x 30 x 25. A friend had a similar tank and the extra 6" front to back made it really nice for aquascaping and provided a lot of additional room for swimming.

Tangs in an 8 ft tank are majestic and awesome! I'm jealous and tagging along.

Have not ordered it yet. I sent the changes over to get re-quoted but it seems the drawing attachments never made it, then the long weekend hit so now I am waiting to hear back. I also asked about acceptable deflection rates and a few other things but hoping to get an answer back this week and order it. At this point I'm like "take my money already!" lol

Exciting build, man! I'm following....

Are you planning to use sand? I'm not a big fan of bare bottom.

What kind of corals is going to be the predominant species?

What made you decide using Kessil & T5? Have you decided which T5 color bulbs are you going to use?

Thanks! welcome to the thread.

I am planning on doing sand, about 1-1.5" max. It'll be a mixed tank, predominately heartier SPS like Monti's (caps, digitata, etc..) acans and a few zoanthids. I'll get some good frags from my 150 but with 8' I'll be looking to buy some nicer corals after I recover from the build expenses.

As for the lighting, what lead me to Kessil was the dense matrix led. When I started to look at LED (I'm currently all T5) I really noticed the disco ball effect of the lights and it was TOO spotty for me. Kessil seems to not have that problem by my eye. I also loved the shimmer, which is a close second to MH without the heat.

As for the T5, Im a devout fan and I think T5 does a better job with corals than LED alone. I have not fully decided which bulbs yet but ATI true actinic is certainly one of them. I've got quite a few bulbs so I will try the Purple+, Blue+ and the Aqua Blue Special (one of my favs) to see what combo compliments the Kessils without washing out the shimmer too much.

Back