260 gallon (96x24x26) reef and fish room upgrade

Tank is ordered!!

Well between travel for work and trying to get a re-quote for a 30" tall tank (along with a few other questions). I ended up talking to Planet Aquariums direct and they were super helpful. Jerry @ Planet reviewed my design and even made some suggestion to help improve it, then got the quote out the same day since he knew there was some delays trying to communicate through the distributor.

End result, I finally got it ordered today and its officially a 300gal (96"L x 24"D x 30"H) from Planet Aquariums. 3/4" glass, euro-braced and a 20" synergy reef overflow. This is going to be a long wait!

Nice, congrats. Look forward to it. You will love the 30 inche hight. More so if you have a bunch of schooling fish. Did they provided a ballpark to deliver? Will it be starphire?

Build estimate was 4-6 weeks. As for starphire, no it will not be starfire. I started out thinking I wanted it and several people suggested it wasn't worth the money so I decided to ask around and started a thread looking for opinions
(http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2545058)

It was surprising to hear the feedback but it really helped me make the decision to not go with starfire. Then, I actually got similar feedback from some of the tank builders I talked with directly. That sealed the deal for me, especially with the additional cost. I can put that money into some nice schooling fish, per your suggestion! :fish1:

Next steps for me is to set up a few tanks in the garage and get a plan going for breaking down the 150.

i guess you gonna need more rock. If you do, I suggest that now would be a great time to select the pieces, soak them and start curing them while you wait for the tank to be delivered.

Small update, I am getting everything staged to tear down the current 150g tank. I can't make any progress on running plumbing through the walls, redoing electrical, etc till its torn down.

Livestock right now consists of:
1 Naso Tang (about 6")
1 Yellow Tang (about 6")
1 Midas Blenny
2 Lyre tail Anthia (M/F)
1 green madarin (thankfully eats frozen brine)
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
6 red BTA's
2 pincushion urchins
12 trochus snails

As for the coral, I am planning on cutting the coral off the rock to store on frag racks. I have a few aptasia so its a good excuse to reboot that rock.

My plan is to take my existing sump offline and plumb it to 3 tanks (55g, 29g and 10g) which I will set up to in another part of the house for roughly 3 months or less. Each tank will be drilled for a 3/4 drain and an over-the-top return. The sump should afford me a small amount of bacterial support.

• In the 55g, I will run it bare-bottom, put the 2 tangs, shrimp and urchins with plenty of large pvc fittings for hiding and 4 trochus. I'll add an RW-8 for circulation.
  • In the 29g, I will place all the coral frags and light with my existing t-5 along with the 2 Anthias, blenny, madarin and 4 trochus. I'll add an RW-8 for circulation.
  • In the 10g, I will run it bare bottom with one large rock to place all of the BTA's, which should make for easy transfer to the new tank, and the last 4 trochus.

I've got seachem ammonia alert badges coming this week along with the bulkheads, strainers and holes saw for this weekend. I also ordered a 8 x 8 x 4-Inch MarinePure Block which I will let sit in my current tank for a few weeks to build up the bacterial load and hopefully offset the removed rock when I do the transfer.

That should cover it but let me know if I missed anything or have a better suggestion! :)

i guess you gonna need more rock. If you do, I suggest that now would be a great time to select the pieces, soak them and start curing them while you wait for the tank to be delivered.

Thanks, great point, once I get the temp tanks set up, I'll be ordering the rock and should have enough time to cook it for a month or more. I'm still torn on what type of rock to get, have BRS now, looking at real reef manufactured but having a hard time justifying the price. Gorgeous stuff so its not out of the running yet!

tagging along!
Welcome to the thread!

I don't know if you ever come to Fort Myers, but there's a member in our local club who's selling real reef rock for $4 a pound. I believe he also has a post on Craigslist for the rock..l

Wow your progress is great. My tank comes in Wednesday. I have 120 pounds of rock cured. Need another 200 pounds. I also had a hard time deciding on rock. I went with caribsea from fiaos and some Fiji stuff I had. I am leaning towards dry. Are you going bare bottom?

I was wondering about getting a 300 gallon vat to keep my 3 large tangs and angels for a few days was trying to avoid keeping multi tank setup. You might want to consider seachem matrix for bio load. I use it in discus tank. And the 29 gallon for prized zoas.

Thanks Z. Its great to hear your tank will be here soon, what did you end up ordering? You need to update your build thread!!; )

I will not be doing bare bottom, sand for sure. Planning a light to moderate stocking and an aquascape that includes a 2-3' section of open sand/low rock for acans, my toadstool and an anemone island.

Rock wise, I know I have decided to keep what I have and add more rock. One idea I like and will try is getting some tonga and build an elevated base for the rock structures that creates a lot of caves for the fish and some flow for the bottom of the tank.

I ordered the Marinepure 8x8x4" cereamic block, similar stuff to the seachem to help with the bioload in the new tanks. I thought about a large 150g tub as well but since I have the tanks and they will be plumbed together it will be equivalent. And it saves some $$ for other stuff too!

I don't know if you ever come to Fort Myers, but there's a member in our local club who's selling real reef rock for $4 a pound. I believe he also has a post on Craigslist for the rock..l

Thanks, I decided not to go that route but appreciate the info. I will keep it in mind if I go back to that idea.

Next up is getting the tanks up and running this weekend. I have to clean and drill all 3 tanks and get it plumbed. After that, I need to get my tanks for the water mixing/change station and start running some pipe.

After an extensive search and quotes I was lucky to find a 90x36x24 acrylic tank in Orlando. He had the tank built but could not use it as he has to move. It is only 3 months old and done by a builder over there. I am gong to pick up Wednesday. As for updating thread I rather wait until I actually have tank in the house as my luck with getting a tank has not been the best. Maybe we can do a bulk order of rock and sand together. I need 200 pounds of sand as well. I was going to use caribsea reef grade sand. Small but heavy enough not be shaken by wave maker. Look forward to seen your setup. Left me know if you need any help.

Last edited:
Making some small but steady progress. Received my bulkheads, strainers and ammonia badges this weekend and got the 10g and 29g tanks drilled. Its scary how thin the glass is on a 10g tank. It went so fast I thought I broke it.

I also managed to get the 8x8x4 bio-block in the sump, that should provide a good established bacteria population for the holding tanks when I move the fish and corals.

I'll post some pics of the tanks once I get them cleaned up cause build threads without pics is like a day without sunshine! :)

Time for an update!

I had a few things going on that had me change my plans a bit which included giving up my current fish room and the plans to re-do it. The reason is really because of the renovation project I mentioned in my first post which involves redoing the downstairs master, and adding a closet (cause that was my fish room ;) ) for my mom, who is moving in with us. I am really glad I have the opportunity to have my mom here and have her spend time with us, especially the grand-kids. I grew up with my grandmother so its almost a requirement to me.
But the funny thing is, no matter how I worked the angles, I could not fit a new closet into that bathroom. I tried, then I tried again. and again... like any addict would! :) So I had to make the choice to give up the fish room and rework the design a bit to fit the equipment under the tank. Heck, its for Mom, so its worth it, right!? :)

Luckily I had not purchased anything that was depending on that design, so progress continues. I will post a new 3D room model shortly, I'm almost done with it.

For now, progress, while slow, is being made. I cleaned up the spare tanks, drilled them and figured out where I could set them up in the house. Kuddos to my wife for allowing me to put 3 tanks in the living room!! :inlove:

BEFORE

AFTER

Need to get the plumbing and lights going next. My goal is to get this setup wet, tested and ready by the weekend then break down the tank the following weekend, if the nitrogen cycle gods will permit it. Hopefully the ceramic media will work as planned.

Also got my rock this week so I can start curing. I went with the Walt Smith 2.1 dry rock and this stuff is just awesome so far. Look wise its beautiful, great shapes and its really light-weight too! Picked up 165lbs (75kg) which should be enough since I am a bit of a minimalist when it comes to rock-scapes.

What a tease! I want to see what's inside those boxes... :eek1:

When I did my aquascape, I shape my scape dry first . Then I drilled all the holes and used nylon rods thru them to attached the big rocks together. I took pictures of my job. Later I place the rocks in a tub to soak them. And when I finished the tank stand and plumbing (around a month later) I just recreated what it was on my previous pictures and place them in the tank.

Here are some pictures while shaping the scape.

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

And then weeks after soaking the rocks and ready to place them in the tank.

IMG_00022.jpg

What a tease! I want to see what's inside those boxes... :eek1:

DOH!, I can't believe I dropped the ball on that one!

Here are some of the smaller rocks. I like that the rock is grey, so any chips look natural, not bright white. They are really light too.

I am a huge fan of building rock structures like you described. I tried it for the first time when I re-did the rock work in the 150g. At the time, all I could find was the orange driveway markers and I had to make sure to cover up and exposed orange. Nylon, being white, would have made it a bit easier for sure.
Here is a shot of one of the structures before it went in the tank.

Back