270 Gallon SPS tank for JBNY

they don't eat that sponge, that's the problem, nothing eats it. It's like, oh you guys like sponges, they are so pretty and hard to keep alive in a tank, cause they are yummy and die easily. Well here is a sponge from the depths of hell, it is nasty brown in color so it looks ugly, photosynthetic growth so you can't stave it (put a piece of rock with it in darkness for two months and it still came back), tastes nasty so no one eats it, and it will grow over anything and everything in you tank. Oh yeah, it grips into the rock so hard that pulling it off is almost impossible and if you manage to get it off, the pieces you get off will break apart to land somewhere else and grow.

Sorry to hear about your last few years of troubles. The fact that you are still rocking it tells us a lot about your character. Here is to better times:beer:

Thanks Dave, Better times indeed. I thought I would be back in a few months, 4 years later...

Very sorry to hear that Joe, but hopefully things will be on the incline now for you! I still remember you massive Hammer from way back in the days of the 180g setup.

Joe, its good to see that you are still around. Noticed a few old timers popping up lately. :D

Reefkeeping can be so testing at times...and some of us can get stuck with bad luck/issues with our tanks that takes a long time to sort out.

But hang in there because we know what you are capable of. :thumbsup:

I'm impressed just to see you still going at it with all the problems/losses. Keep at it Joe. Not too many guys left in the hobby that I can discuss MH ballasts with :D

Joe, sorry to hear about your troubles but I am sure you will bounce back better then ever! Look forward to seeing the rebirth.

Joe,

Your persistence through all these difficult situations is inspiration! You've had killer tanks in the past, I can't wait to see what a couple of years brings us. Best of luck with the renaissance.

UPDATE: Frags have been in the tank for well over a moth, coloration is looking good. My tank is back!

great to hear the King is back in the thrown! looking forward to growth pictures. Have you done anything different from the standpoint of nitrate reduction?

haha thanks guys, I'll throw some pictures of my tank with tiny frags in soon.

great to hear the King is back in the thrown! looking forward to growth pictures. Have you done anything different from the standpoint of nitrate reduction?

I completely changed my nitrate reduction setup, I had been using GFO and Carbon dosing (Vodka), both of those are gone. I am now using macro algae, Chaetomorpha, for P and N removal. In an effort to fix my tank problems I went back and did it old school. I think it will be much better in the long run.

Last edited:
So since my last big update I had been marginally keeping the tank running, a few times over the summer I had tried to put some SPS frags in the tank, and they looked great for the first week or so. But then in a few weeks they start to brown out, bleach, polyps retract and eventually RTN one day. LPS would start out great and by about the 3rd week they don't show as much polyp extension, eventually retract and receded only to die maybe a month later.

Three months ago I was getting ready to just rip everything out, bleach the whole system and start again.

Then after speaking with a few friends who had remarkably similar issues with their coral when carbon dosing, I decided to stop carbon dosing and using GFO. I also decided to switch salt. I had been using Oceanic for something like ten years, but for some reason the last year or so, the animals didn't look better after a water change, they looked a little worse. Corals just seemed a little more retracted from what they had been in the past. I changed my salt to Red Sea Coral Pro.

So I pulled off the doser and did a few water changes and low and behold things looked better. Polyps were out a little more.

So at this point encouraged by the first glimmer of hope, I go all out. I start performing water changes twice a day for the first two days and then every day for a week. I was making so much ro/di water I killed my RO module in the middle of it and had to buy all new DI resin and a new RO filter. So after I changed out about 450 gallons of water, then I dropped back to twice weekly water changes and now I am doing once a week. Boom! tank looks great. I now have about 10 SPS frags and 3 LPS they all seem to be doing good. It's been over two months with a few frags and they are recovering pretty well.

OK enough about my troubles. Hopefully from here out it's back to normal.

So here are a few shots of the tank as yesterday. Even though there are only a few frags in it right now, the tank looks pretty good. The sand and rocks look better than they have, maybe ever. All the rock is new since the last time I posted pictures, I had a mix of Fiji and Tonga branch. This rock is all Marco Rock.

FTS with the new rock and aquascaping, there are lots of caves and openings for fish to swim through, I think it's a keeper.
DSC_4583.jpg

DSC_4589.jpg

Zoanthids, they all doing great, trying to keep them separate from everything else though, a few have got loose and are growing on the main rock work, so I'll have to rip them off at some point.

DSC_4600.jpg

I'm actually very happy I was able to clean this up.

GREAT to see this tank back in the swing of things. It has always been one I have followed.

The scape looks fantastic!! Love the canyon look.

Your tank as well as ReefBum's were two of my favourites ever. So glad to see you updating your thread again and good luck =)

Back