270 Gallon SPS tank for JBNY

Joe, I just spent the last 3 hours reading your thread. The suspense of success and failures were a roller coaster ride. I kept thinking I hope the tank thrives by the end of the thread. I'm so glad this had a happy ending. You're a great inspiration for not giving up.
Please continue posting pics of this amazing tank.

First off beautiful tank!

How often do you do water changes and how many gallons do you change at a time? I have read through most of the posts and this may have been asked before and I missed it and if so I am sorry.
I am still new to saltwater tanks, I have only had my 55g up for about 10 months. I plan to upgrade to a 200-250g tank in the future and I'm curious on WC schedules for large tanks.

Keep up the good work!

Joe, I just spent the last 3 hours reading your thread. The suspense of success and failures were a roller coaster ride. I kept thinking I hope the tank thrives by the end of the thread. I'm so glad this had a happy ending. You're a great inspiration for not giving up.
Please continue posting pics of this amazing tank.

Many thanks for sticking with the thread, there has been a lot going on over the years for sure. I'm glad it has had a happy ending too, I was getting very frustrated at one point and wasn't sure I would get things to turn around.

Joe,
How long are the Triton Elements lasting you?

This is what you are buying and using correct?
http://uniquecorals.com/triton-base-elementz.html

Also, how much zinc and manganese are you dosing on a daily basis?

Sorry I missed your post. Yes that is what I am using for the base elements. Right now I am dosing 328ml a day. the elements are lasting about one month before I need to add more.

I am currently dosing
Manganese Mn 0.0006 mg/l daily
Zinc Zn 0.0008 mg/l daily

Crazy amounts of fish.
How the heck do you have 0 nitrates?!?
Looking great, Joe.

:fun2:

I don't know really, at this point I am trying to reduce or stop the amount of Nitrates I am adding to the tank. I took readings last night and my NO3 was at 5ppm. I am currently still dosing about .3ppm a day of KNO3.

But if I had to guess what is going on, it is that the system has been set up always to keep Nitrates as low as possible. So I have a good amount of Live rock and Live sand. I skim aggressively. I run the largest ARID algae reactor and remove cheato from the system every two week. I still dose Special Blend which is supposed help reduce nitrates. I also blow off all the rocks every week with a turkey baster and run filter socks while doing it to remove the detritus that I stir up off the rock work. I think that all of these things contribute to reducing nitrates, but I'll admit the amount of fish I now have in the tank I never thought possible.

First off beautiful tank!

How often do you do water changes and how many gallons do you change at a time? I have read through most of the posts and this may have been asked before and I missed it and if so I am sorry.
I am still new to saltwater tanks, I have only had my 55g up for about 10 months. I plan to upgrade to a 200-250g tank in the future and I'm curious on WC schedules for large tanks.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you!

I am currently not doing any regular water changes. Since January I did one water change of about 20 gallons, but that was just to siphon out detritus from the sumps. I'll probably do the same thing in another week or two.

But I used to do about 15-20% every two weeks. I just don't anymore.

Update with pictures. Tank is doing great. So far no problems at all, corals and fish are doing super fine.

_D712124.jpg

_D712134.jpg

_D712119.jpg

_D712117.jpg

_D712138.jpg

_D712121.jpg

_D712111.jpg

Joe, the corals are looking great. You switched over to the Triton method about a year ago right; and you haven't had any of the previous issues with the corals since?

Did you notice any increased chaeto growth when you started the Base Elementz? Extra traces are meant to be included for thr macro algae growth.

Corals are looking superb and I look forward to more photos.

Looking very nice!

Thank you!

Joe, the corals are looking great. You switched over to the Triton method about a year ago right; and you haven't had any of the previous issues with the corals since?

Did you notice any increased chaeto growth when you started the Base Elementz? Extra traces are meant to be included for thr macro algae growth.

Corals are looking superb and I look forward to more photos.

That is exactly it. All my problems stopped when I switched over to dosing Triton. In my case I really feel that is must have been some trace elements that was deficient that we normally don't track for SPS health. My personal thoughts are zinc and/or manganese.

Cheato growth was about the same when I switched to Triton dosing. Before that I had been adding some iron/molybdenum mix daily. But you are right the Triton Base Elements is supposed to have extra "stuff" for macros in their mix. So I stopped adding any other additives for the macro and it grew pretty much the same.

Update on the tank.

<iframe width="1024" height="576" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4YerOQutRPQ?rel=0?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Could I get some information on your anthias? It looks like you have been able to maintain a big group for a long time. I am especially about your feeding plan.

Hi Joe,
Absolutely beautiful. Been following for years. Looks like a big jump in success when you started using Triton. Would you agree? I started Triton core7 last week and was wondering about your dosing practice, increases, stability. On my 210 gal I started with the recommended 16ml split into 4 doses over the day by my dosing pump.
Thank you Joe, amazing!!

Thanks Keith!

Could I get some information on your anthias? It looks like you have been able to maintain a big group for a long time. I am especially about your feeding plan.

I added them all together and fed them Sustainable Aquatics pellets and hykari frozen mysis cubes 3x a day till they started to eat and then slowly started going back to my normal routine. Now they eat normal like all the rest of the fish.

Hi Joe,
Absolutely beautiful. Been following for years. Looks like a big jump in success when you started using Triton. Would you agree? I started Triton core7 last week and was wondering about your dosing practice, increases, stability. On my 210 gal I started with the recommended 16ml split into 4 doses over the day by my dosing pump.
Thank you Joe, amazing!!

I think the tank is easier to maintain now that I am dosing Triton, but the level of success is about the same as my last time the tank was doing really well. The color difference I think is mainly due to the fact that I chose all the corals in the tank this time and was very picky about putting in acros that would color up.

I started with the recommended dosing from Triton, and tested every day or every other day till I go the dosing correct. Right now it is very stable, but I haven't tested anything for the whole summer. So I should say it was very stable when I stopped testing.

Back