300 gallon stock list

cjacobs

tank is 96x24x30

300 gallon stock list as follows:

Any additions, subtractions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

3x Yellow tang
3x blue Tang
1X purple tang
1x sohal tang
1x indian ocean sailfin tang
1x blonde naso tang
1x flame angel
1x radiant wrasse
6x clown fish
1x midas blenny
1x royal gramma
1x bicolor dottyback
1x flame hawkfish
2x yellow prawn goby
1x aussie tusk
1x hawaiian cleaner wrasse
6x barlett anthias

I would ditch the Sohal. Things will be fine for awhile and then one day the fish will turn on others and more than likely you too

Removed the Sohal and added a couple wrasses. Any other suggestions?

3x Yellow tang
3x blue Tang
1X purple tang
1x blonde naso tang
1x flame angel
1x radiant wrasse
6x clown fish
1x midas blenny
1x royal gramma
1x bicolor dottyback
1x flame hawkfish
2x yellow prawn goby
1x aussie tusk
6x barlett anthias
1x Mystery Wrasse
1x Scott's Fairy Wrasse
1x Flame Fairy Wrasse

From personal experience a yellow and purple will fight once mature. After 5-6 years the yellow started hammering the purple. So I'd imagine if the yellows were in a school it will be worse for the purple. I had to remove the purple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think a yellow and a purple would be fine in a tank that big. Instead of three blue tangs, how about one blue, one atlantic blue and a chevron.

Impressive list. Sounds awesome!

Not a bad idea Brett559!

Btw i'm In Clovis CA. Small world :)

Updated list

3x Yellow tang
1x blue Tang
1x Atlantic blue tang
1x Chevron tang
1X purple tang
1x blonde naso tang
1x flame angel
1x radiant wrasse
6x clown fish
1x midas blenny
1x royal gramma
1x bicolor dottyback
1x flame hawkfish
2x yellow prawn goby
1x aussie tusk
6x barlett anthias
1x Mystery Wrasse
1x Scott's Fairy Wrasse
1x Flame Fairy Wrasse

That is still 9 tangs. Too much, even for 300 gallons. Personally, I would do the purple tang, chevron tang, atlantic blue tang, and the naso tang.

Also ditch the bicolor dottyback. They are huge bullies, even to large fish.

I would personally stick with 2 clowns and change the dottyback to a basslet. Your list has some nice fish!

Not a bad idea Brett559!

Btw i'm In Clovis CA. Small world :)

Where would you buy these all from? Don't say Whities or Pet Extreme! I'm biased, of course, but Mark at Ultimate Aquarium stocks the best fish in the Central Valley. I've been to all the stores, and he's the best. Good prices too.

Unless you plan on getting them online....

At the end of the day, 300 gallons is big tank and a TON of work. If you are willing to do the work, get the fish you want! And then let me come see them....

I have four clowns in my 300 and wish I didn't. At the end of the day I just dont think they are that interesting. Just my two cents, but I wouldn't give up real estate on 6.
Also the sailfin and yellows may eventually give you problems, all being in the same family .
The 300 is work but I love mine. Good luck!

3x Yellow tang
3x blue Tang

1X purple tang
1x blonde naso tang

1x flame angel
1x radiant wrasse
6x clown fish
1x midas blenny
1x royal gramma
1x bicolor dottyback
1x flame hawkfish
2x yellow prawn goby
1x aussie tusk
6x barlett anthias
1x Mystery Wrasse
1x Scott's Fairy Wrasse
1x Flame Fairy Wrasse

Red marks the problems. To many tangs and too many large tangs. In a 300 gal, I would have at the most 6 tangs, small to medium mature size type that are not extremely aggressive, or only one aggressive boss of the tang that go in last. IMO/IME no multi tangs of the same species.

Naso and sailfin are no-no in my tanks, even in my 450 gal tank. You can keep them, but need to plan biomass decrease accordingly, but I don't like such large fish in my tank. They look out of place IMO. One large size tang come in and two or three medium tangs need to be eliminate. Size of the tang at the time you add is not a factor since they grow so fast.

6 clown fish is a problem. I would not add more than 1 pair, unless you can arrange where they have two anemones and not able to see each other. If you can do this, two pair is max, only smaller less aggressive clown species.

Shrimp gobies will not be comfortable in this tank, especially with a Tusk hover around.

Bicolor dottyback is extremely aggressive. I would not add on in my tank, even if someone give me money to do it.

FWIW, right now I run a 320. My fish list in in my sig line. My choices was very much influence by my carpet anemones.

Last edited:
It's your tank and I am glad you are thinking ahead about your livestock.
I hope you settle on a good mix and enjoy the acquisition stage.
You list does include a lot of tangs, and they could become aggressive later on.
With all due respect to OrionN, the reason I even have my 350 is so I can have a Desjardini (pair). I also have a Naso, Powder Blue and Chevron. Different fish preferences for sure.
The only issue I've had is that the PBT did not like the addition of the Desjardini's and needed to be removed and re-introduced a month later. Everyone gets along fine now, but I won't try to add any more tangs.
But I do agree that you need to adjust you bioload handling for these big guys.

I have a 300g mixed reef tank. Since this is posted in reef fish I am assuming yours will also be a mixed reef? If so eliminate the Aussie Tusk and I would also eliminate the Flame angel - they can be ok but IMO not worth risking it with so many other fish options.

Way too many tangs. I have 4 and love my selection of them. I have a chevron (always picking at the rocks), blue hippo, purple (cool but a jerk), and blond naso. I would recommend these 4 and start with the Chevron and Naso (definitely a male - with streamers). Then later add the blue hippo and purple.

Radiant and cleaner wrasse are fine. I have them both. My radiant is probably about 5 inches and is a stunning fish. I think this is where I would look to have more fish. Make sure you have a lid as they will jump (my tank is an enclosed canopy). There are some really nice cheaper wrasses - solorensus and lubbocks are nice and cheap. Then comes the addiction and you will look to some pricier ones that are stunning - Lineatus, Pintail, Rhomboid (supermale is stunning), Flame, and my favorite is a diamond tail flasher wrasse. Some of these nicer wrasses are easier to find in the summer months. Reduce the number of tangs (and bioload) and add wrasses.

I have a pair of flame hawks - very funny fish with personality. I would do a pair together - mine are bonded and always hang together.

Midas blenny is also a great choice - get the male which has streamers as well.

Another fish I have that I would recommend is a spotted rabbit fish. Great personality and cool fish.

With this fish load make sure to have a good protein skimmer and filtration and do frequent water changes. I do my own service aside from the water changes which I have a company come in every other week. I also have a dosing system set up for the calcium, alkalinity, and trace elements. Once the tank is established (go SLOWLY) I do not think it is anymore work than a smaller tank if set up properly. Just more $$$ because you have more real estate to cover - especially with the coral.

tank is 96x24x30

300 gallon stock list as follows:

Any additions, subtractions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

3x Yellow tang
3x blue Tang
1X purple tang
1x sohal tang
1x blonde naso tang
1x flame angel
1x radiant wrasse
6x clown fish
1x midas blenny
1x royal gramma
1x bicolor dottyback
1x flame hawkfish
2x yellow prawn goby
1x aussie tusk
6x barlett anthias

If you do want angels I would suggest bellus. I have a trio of 1 male and 2 female. Also really nice looking and active fish. The males are not so common - I got my trio from Divers Den about 18 mos - love the long streamers on the male.

Back