300g tank build

Too bad about the riivets, however I think some oxidized nails will for sure do the trick!

Got started on my plumbing today.

Cut a window into my wall

C05031DA-3B82-467B-9A3F-A856DA33E073_1_105_c.jpeg

Glues some flexible PVC together. I read lots of information on the type of cement to use. Some cites noted I could use regular red hot blue glue. That's what I did. Starting to second guess my decision.

AF9FD84F-7791-4F09-8EEE-834DDA566786_1_105_c.jpeg

Glues some flexible PVC together. I read lots of information on the type of cement to use. Some cites noted I could use regular red hot blue glue. That's what I did. Starting to second guess my decision.

View attachment 32371535
Nope, you are good. The only rule I ever heard was to push flex in straight rather than twist, and I heard that after I had already twisted it in.:pNever had a leak. I also used standard medium body PVC cement. Here's a thread where it's argued about. Specifically note @Flexpvc comments.

Glueing spa-flex into PVC?

I decided to build a ATO. I have a mess of a sump in my basement under my fish tank.

The sump is a 150g rubber maid container. The ATO is the rubbermaid trash can on the table next to the sump.

IMG_9847.jpg

IMG_0035.jpeg

Here is my plan. I scoured the internet trying to figure out how to do this.

I ordered two float triggers and a relay from this place.

I purchased a solenoid from

The idea was to have two floats in the trash can. The tank is filled when both floats are down, and filling stops when both floats are up. This would allow my spectrapure RO system to only kick on when more then 30 gallons of water is needed.

I wired the relay as shown in the picture to the floats, the solenoid, and some plugs. After I wired it all together I realized I needed the floats in the trash can. So I had to cut the wires, move the floats into the trash can and wire it again.

IMG_0192 2.jpeg

I put the solenoid after the floss and carbon filters but before the RO membrane. This way the water going through the solenoid would have less crud in it. The stop of water would occur before the membrane to avoid TDS creep.
IMG_0193.jpeg

I started pulling my lighting out, it has been sitting in my living room for about 6 months. I went with five OR3. I don't have great internet where I am located in Alaska and no wifi in my house. So many of these cool lights with great programming I can't use.
IMG_0965.jpg
IMG_0969.jpg

My plan is to hang the lights from the ceiling.

I have used a canopy in the past but for now I am going to go without one. Each light will hang from two eye hooks. I am hoping this will minimize the footprint of the lighting by avoiding a canopy.

I have only run the first row of eye hooks. I need to think about how I am going to do the second to make it so the light hangs square with the back wall
IMG_0966.jpeg

IMG_0968.jpeg
IMG_0967.jpeg

Time to gets things rolling again. The weather here has started to cool and time to move into indoor activities until the snow comes. Once we get snow I like to get out and snowboard and bike. Alaska summers are epic. Thought I would share some of the adventures with you all.
IMG_1015.jpeg
IMG_1075.jpeg
IMG_1039.jpg
View attachment GOPR0331.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

Worked on the lights.
I bought a kit on amazon to help me
IMG_1207.jpg
hang the lights using steel cables. I was really hoping for a minimal footprint with these lights.
IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

Lights are OR3 60" LED bars. 2 Blue, 2 Reef, 1 UV.

Last edited:
And of course I had to put something in it. To give you perspective that piece of live rock weighs about 45lbs. It was shipped up from Florida. I bought it from Anthony Wesa, the guys is complete class! If you are on here, many thanks!!
IMG_1250.jpeg
IMG_1249.jpg

This rock was purchased out of fiji 4 years ago. It was the last shipment sent out before it closed live rock harvesting. Unfortunately it came with chitons. I know glass aquarium hobbiest like these critters, but I found they leave teeth marks on acrylic. I decided to dry the rock to kill all the chitons. And will have to spend a few months recolonizing it with good bacteria and coraline algae. I love the shape and porous structure of this rock.

IMG_1251.jpg
IMG_1252.jpg

Aquascaping:
I love to aquascape. I am not a big fan of the brick wall look so commonly seen in the aquarium industry. Unfortunately it is so hard to get away from that with the way tanks are produced. Which is one reason why I prefer tanks that have more depth to them.

Depth is pleasing to the eye. Obviously you can just have depth by the tank you use. But you can also create depth when you aquascape. By placing larger rock in the front and smaller rocks in the back the eye automatically assumes the two rocks are the same size and that the smaller rock in the back is smaller because it is further away. The smaller the rock in the back the deeper the tank will look.

Tried to aquascape so that all three sides would offer enjoyable views of the tank.

Anyhow here is the start.

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

Moving forward.

Under this tank in my basement/crawl space I have a 150 g rubbermaid container full of chaeto and salt water. I still need to plumb this to the tank. I don't have my pump connected to it. Nor are all the drain pipes finished.

Plan to pump or remove all the water in the rubbermaid container into this tank. Then I'll be able to connect my pump into the sump. Its an external pump so it won't be submersible.

Then I'll need to continue to make RO water and mix with salt and refill the sump. Then again pump it up. Repeat until this tank is full. Also need to compartmentalize my sump. Still some work to do.

Back