40 breeder build (pictures/queations/first saltwater tank)

Nice!!! I'll go check it out right now. I have 1 RW-8 but adding another soon. Should give me plenty of flow. I've always preferred diy stands or wooden stands with doors over a steel one. Just because you can store stuff and hide all the stuff underneath ya know.

The reason I purchased the steel stand was it was going in my apt and I like to educate friends that come over on the whole system, and at the time didn't want to travel between my parents and my apt to build the stand. But now that some things happened and I am back at my parents for the next year the wooden stand is definitely a go!

Tank finally cleared. Only took about 6 hours. My rock has been cycling/curing since like May I think so my cycle shouldn't be any longer than a couple days. I'm going to put ammonia in there tonight and see if it all clears within 24 hours. It should so we will see.
Anyways here's a couple pictures of my rock scape before and after I aquascaped it. I wanted depth and a lot of sand space so hopefully I got that. No sand in it yet so I'll get that going pretty soon as well.
Oh and water level is a little low because I have to add a gate valve to my emergency line since I'm going sumpless right now.

The rock rubble on the right is going to be moved around for zoa garden and maybe mushroom garden.
But here you can kinda see how I want more sand space like on the floor of the tank, hopefully that will create depth

Oh I really like your scape. It makes it look like there's more depth... going from the left front to the right back. Like a channel that is endless. Very nice, Isaac!

I would recommend adding a few pieces of LR to help seed your base rock. For awhile anything you add to the tank will cause a mini cycle. Since you do not have a large biological filtration in the tank.

Oh I really like your scape. It makes it look like there's more depth... going from the left front to the right back. Like a channel that is endless. Very nice, Isaac!

Thank you Zee! I appreciate it! All I need to do is get some reed safe epoxy to hold it all together. The rocks are pretty sturdy especially for having my rio 2500 return pump in there lol

I would recommend adding a few pieces of LR to help seed your base rock. For awhile anything you add to the tank will cause a mini cycle. Since you do not have a large biological filtration in the tank.

I know man. This rock has been cycling in a brute since may so it already has bio filtration, just not enough like you said since I'll be adding sand and what not. The live rock from my 10 gallon will be going in here as well. We'll maybe I'm not sure yet cuz I'm loving my 10 gallon set up lol but yea I won't be adding anything in here until I know for sure it's cycled. I got you though man. No worries.
Here's my 10 gallon with a ton of coraline algea on my live rock that I'll be switching over once my 40 is truly cycled and I get my sump going.

Did you add a piece of LR or seed the base rock while it was cycling in the brute?

Not at first no, because I didn't want to introduce anything like that to my rock while I was curing it since May. The main reason I did it was an experiment for people on here because they wanted to know if the rock leeched any phosphates. I didn't add any live rock to it until about a month ago. Which was to start the cycle and make my dry rock live. But, It's definitely not live yet as you can tell by the color it's still bleaching white lol but it shouldn't take long since it at least has some bio filtration from cycling it. The live rock that was in there was placed in my 10 gallon, but it's all going in my 40 :)

Hey anyone with 40 breeders that run jabao wave makers suggest RW-4 or RW-8? I have 1 RW-8 right now and thinking of just getting a RW-4 for my second powerhead?

So you just cured the base rock. I do not believe letting it sit in saltwater over time would allow for beneficial bacteria to grow on the rock or to be seeded without introducing a source of ammonia or LR with the bacteria. I could be wrong with that tho.

As far as the Jebao, I am getting a RW-8 Tuesday for my tank, I have to wait for my LFS to get his order in. I personally run a MP10 on one side, which I believe is comparable to the RW4, when I have the Mp10 turned to 100% I still need more flow to reach the other side of my 40. I am going to swap it out for a MP40 soon.

Plus I plan to add Tunze Nanostream 6040, 6055 for my flow. Unless the Jebao impresses me that much.

So you just cured the base rock. I do not believe letting it sit in saltwater over time would allow for beneficial bacteria to grow on the rock or to be seeded without introducing a source of ammonia or LR with the bacteria. I could be wrong with that tho.

As far as the Jebao, I am getting a RW-8 Tuesday for my tank, I have to wait for my LFS to get his order in. I personally run a MP10 on one side, which I believe is comparable to the RW4, when I have the Mp10 turned to 100% I still need more flow to reach the other side of my 40. I am going to swap it out for a MP40 soon.

Plus I plan to add Tunze Nanostream 6040, 6055 for my flow. Unless the Jebao impresses me that much.

Ok I guess I didn't explain well enough. I ghost fed my Brute that my rock was in every day till it finished cycling. Added ammonia up to 2ppm to make sure it was indeed cycled. Trust me I know how it works lol

Tank finally cleared. Only took about 6 hours. My rock has been cycling/curing since like May I think so my cycle shouldn't be any longer than a couple days. I'm going to put ammonia in there tonight and see if it all clears within 24 hours. It should so we will see.
Anyways here's a couple pictures of my rock scape before and after I aquascaped it. I wanted depth and a lot of sand space so hopefully I got that. No sand in it yet so I'll get that going pretty soon as well.
Oh and water level is a little low because I have to add a gate valve to my emergency line since I'm going sumpless right now.

The rock rubble on the right is going to be moved around for zoa garden and maybe mushroom garden.
But here you can kinda see how I want more sand space like on the floor of the tank, hopefully that will create depth

How many lbs of rock is that

So I finally switched everything over to my this build. My tank is cycled. I had a little spike to 2ppm but it went away after 2 days. So everything looks good now. No ammonia or nitrites. It looks like I'll be getting a second marsaqua led though cuz there's shadowing going and I'm not too fond of that. So I'm getting 1 more and then just going to mount them sideways.

Back