40 breeder build (pictures/queations/first saltwater tank)

Is the hippo going to stay in your tank for long?

No no, my wife came home with that haha. I've made another thread on trying to get her new home but haven't had any luck. So she's in my tank for now since she's only 1.5" I almost sold her but the guy thought she was dead when I had her in a separate bowl for him to view. So he passed and didn't take her. He didn't know that hippo tangs do that when they feel threatened, or taken out of their home...tried explaining it to him but he thought I was lying I guess. So back to square one with finding her a place. I planned on taking it back to my LFS but they said they don't guarantee saltwater fish and they only take donations and won't give me my money back or store credit. So I'm trying to sell the hippo and try and make some money back. If i keep having bad luck well then I'm just going to donate it back to the place my wife baught it from.

Nothing new. Just a video of my current setup.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jwJ3IMZPm8o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice rock work! I really like it!

Upload all those videos you are mentioning lol, I'm one of those noobs out there looking for practical teaching videos.

Thank you,

Carlos García

Nice rock work! I really like it!

Upload all those videos you are mentioning lol, I'm one of those noobs out there looking for practical teaching videos.

Thank you,

Carlos García

Thanks man! A lot of the videos are on my youtube channel if you want to check it out. Just click on the video and click the title and it'll take you to my channel.

Video of me changing out the actual LED diodes from 3000k soft whites to 20000k 3watt LEDs

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0Kw561LnSXs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So I ordered more LED diodes and switched a few out. Took out the 2 reds and 2 greens and let me tell you I'm glad I did. From what I have read it seems that red and green spectrum attracts algae and encourages growth. As soon as I switched those diodes my Diatoms instantly went away within 24 hours. My tank looks way better also as far as no more green and red reflection in the water column. Finally I can say my lighting is almost exactly how I want it. Just a fee more tweaks. I baught the Mars aqua for 79 dollars and purchased like 20 led diodes and still under 100 dollars for lighting.

Here are some pictures for comparison:
This was before i replaced the red and green with 460nm blue leds. You can actually see the green reflection and some red.

And then here is after I replaced them. Much better viewing and no more red/green reflection. And as you can see diatoms are pretty much gone. Which at this point they should be almost gone anyways.

Tank looks great Isaac!

How did you learn how to open up the lights and stuff?
I've been putting off removing the optics on my greens and reds, but now I have a rattle in one fan that I want to poke at. I guess you just unplug it, and start removing screws? I'd feel a little more confident if I had a guide or something and I know you do a lot of research so I thought you might know a good one.

Tank looks great Isaac!

How did you learn how to open up the lights and stuff?
I've been putting off removing the optics on my greens and reds, but now I have a rattle in one fan that I want to poke at. I guess you just unplug it, and start removing screws? I'd feel a little more confident if I had a guide or something and I know you do a lot of research so I thought you might know a good one.

Thanks man! I've been taking things apart and putting them back together for years haha so I know my way around this stuff. Although when I made my video of changing the LEDs I guess it would have been smart to show how to open the thing in the first place haha. I came across this video though that should help you. This guy removes the optics on the outside for better coverage.

If you don't plan on changing the red and green diodes out I would suggest putting black electrical tape over the lenses if your trying to get rid of the reflection I talked about. Removing the optics won't remove the reflection unfortunately. Trust me lol
But anyways here's a good video of him removing the screws and opening the unit to get to the guts.
8 screws on the outside opens to the guts (fans, drivers and wires) and then 4 additional screws on the board to get to the lenses and diodes. Pretty easy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uuIhVL4HmOw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And if you are looking for a replacement fan here's a good one people prefer. Much quieter then the Mars aqua original fans. Been meaning to buy them but totally forgot because my house is pretty loud already cuz of my 3 year old lol but it does make for a good video in the future so people can get an idea of how to do it. If you haven't noticed I like DIY and showing people how to actually do things so they get first hand view lol. A lot of videos people pause and show the after results instead of the actual do it yourself part.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000..._2_6?colid=3H2MMJ0MWOG4P&coliid=IE9KO7WUZ30CV

Perfect! Thanks.
Once I got over being a chicken it was really easy :) I did the optics on the first one no prob, about to get at the one with the fan. It's just one fan that has always rattled, sounds like a little leftover plastic or something is in it. They aren't quiet for sure, but I don't mind the regular sound.
Mine have been up for a year and there was a fair amount of fine dust like salt in there. Maybe not a bad idea to open them up once in a while. It came out easy with a swiffer lint-free dust thingee but if I had some canned air that would've been nice to hit the fan with. Next year.

I really like having cheap toys cause I don't have to be afraid to take them apart like I would a kessil :)

Perfect! Thanks.
Once I got over being a chicken it was really easy :) I did the optics on the first one no prob, about to get at the one with the fan. It's just one fan that has always rattled, sounds like a little leftover plastic or something is in it. They aren't quiet for sure, but I don't mind the regular sound.
Mine have been up for a year and there was a fair amount of fine dust like salt in there. Maybe not a bad idea to open them up once in a while. It came out easy with a swiffer lint-free dust thingee but if I had some canned air that would've been nice to hit the fan with. Next year.

I really like having cheap toys cause I don't have to be afraid to take them apart like I would a kessil :)

Sweet! Glad it worked out for you! Actually if i remember correctly it was you that convinced me to purchase these lights haha. Glad I did! Thanks man

Back