40 Gallon Breader build

meco65

I started out with a used 40 Breeder not drilled. I was going to go with Bean animal over flow, but when I bought the glass at the glass shop for the over flow they said there sander had quit on them so the glass was not finished and uneven. So I did not get it. I called a LFS and they had a used corner overflow for a 40 long for $15. So Im going with a corner overflow, with a Hofer Gurgle buster. this is where I am so far. I will also be building a 20 long sump. the tank will have a 150 watt metal Halide the light is on in the first pic with the hood on the tank.
Water test
40Breeder3.jpg

Tank cleaned
cleantank3.jpg

overflow cleaned
corneroverflowcleaned.jpg

Hole marked
Diamondbit.jpg

Templet for drilling
Templet.jpg

Hole started with templet
Holestarted.jpg

I did not have plumbers putty so I used play dough
Playdoughring.jpg

hole drilled
Holecut.jpg

Overflow siliconed
Corneroverflowsiliconed.jpg

The silicon will have to cure for 48 hours before I can continue the build.
I have a metal stand for the tank and Rio 8 Hyper Flow return pump. Maxi-jet 1200 PH and a Aqueon 700 PH, I also have Aragonite sand, and about 40 LBS Base rock that was LR at one time, the Light is a Sunpark 150 MH Ballast.

Yea me to just no one around to cut the Glass for me, I took back about $50 worth of PVC fittings that were for the been animal yesterday. Maybe on my next tank.

I added another Hole 3" from top as a Backup overflow, I will more than likely just have a strainer on the top hole. Also built a 20 Long Sump cut the glass my self. Unfortunately I put the skimmer compartment on the wrong side :eek: so I now will have to scrape the paint and repaint the new back, I thought it would be easier to scape paint than remove all the silicone. Pic of Sump.
Sump.jpg

Last edited:
Update

Update

New pics.
Bulkheads installed.
Bulkheads.jpg

Ballast
Ballast.jpg

Reflector and bulb 150 watt MH.
Reflectorandbulb.jpg

Skimmer
Skimmer.jpg

Pumps, Plugs, Filter sock holder
Pumpsplugssockholder.jpg

PVC
PVC.jpg

The fish I have always wanted is a Flame Angel, What other fish would go good in a 40 breeder?

New pics

New pics

Update:
Plumbing-
12-Plumbing.jpg

Plumbing hooked up
14-Plumbing3.jpg

Filling tank with RO/DI
16-fillingtankRO-DI.jpg

Tank filled with salt water 150 Watt MH lighting
22-Setup4-12-12.jpg

Thanks guys. I have a 14 Gallon Bio-Cube that will go into the new tank I just have to get the temp stable first, salinity is good. I still need to get the skimmer setup as well. Just has two corals Green star that will be on a island by its self As I have had GS take over a tank in the past, And the colt coral in the pic. I think with the live rock ( about 20 pounds) from the bio-cube and i am going to rinse the Bio-balls from the cube and place in the sump for a short time to help build the bio-filter. Hopefully there will not be much of a cycle.
14Bio-Cubenewlightsandcoral.jpg

Waggs:The corals will probably reproduce pretty fast they were given to me he said these fell off of the main colony and he was throwing in something extra.

fishgate: I bought the over flow plastic piece at a LFS (North Side Aquatics) only $15 It came from a 40 long so it worked well in the 40 breeder I think the tank it came from was broken.

Every thing is going good with the tank. I had a temp issue with the tank, my AC unit blows toward the tank hitting the wall behind the tank, so I inclosed the tank and that helped but did not salve the problem. I ended up having to cut a piece of the Styrofoam board from the left over 4x8 sheet I cut the piece under tank out of,then cut around the plumbing to insulate the tank. This blocks the the air from hitting the sump, Problem solved. I will post pics tomorrow.

Meco65, come summer time you may find you removing the insulation to have a cheap cooling system for your tank. I have the duct work from our central system, in the ceiling so heat and cool will benefit the tank. :) Right now I'm running warm and I think it's from the lights.

Back