40G Breeder Caribbean Seagrass Biotope

Thanks for the link Subsea.

Yes I do have several irons in the fire.

I am currently constructing a stand that will house two 20G and a 29G.

I am also currently building a stand for a 125G.

I will post pics later tonight of where the 40G will go and I will need to build a small stand for that as well. The 40G will be a display sump for 2 55G that sit on a hole in the wall.

I am possibly getting 3 more plumed scorpions for this tank. I am waiting to here back of their size before ordering as I don't want them to snack or be snacks to the ones I already have.

With this order I am also getting a spiny box puffer that will be for the 125 and a queen/blue angel hybrid approximately 5". Both will be housed in a 55G quarantine until the 125 is ready. The queen will eventually be in a 180G once it gets resealed.

I have some friends at work that go to Sebastian inlet a lot which is towards the southern end of the lagoon. My kids are always wanting to go to the beach so this way I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Plus its a good family project as they like to help me out and I can show them how to collect and what to look for.

On my way to Cocoa Beach one day I pulled over to the side of the road where it crosses the Lagoon and I seen some red algae growing on the concrete right
there by the shore. It was cool to see and full of pods so I will definitely look into what I need permit wise to do my own collecting.

Jason

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Jason,

All you need for collection is a resident fishing license. Do not sell what you catch, then it would be a differrent license,

I have been trying to get a cultivore of G. Tikavihae for five years. Every since I spoke with Gerald Heslinger of IndoPacific SeaFarm, he informed me that many Hawaiians preferred Tikavihae over G. Parvispora, the original Red Ogo.

Considering the many differrent systems you are planning, I am sure we can trade something to benefit each other.

Let’s make a deal.
Patrick

I would just like to share my recent, short lived, experience with Gracilaria Tikavhae "red ogo". About 2 weeks ago I put some in my cycling 20g long. I had 2 cheap 17w fluorescent fixtures to get me through the process until I upgraded. About 5 days ago, I found a deal on a pair of FathomLED's I couldn't resist and set them up. They are overkill (138w) for the size aquarium, so I'm only running them at 50% b/w at 12" above the surface. Until this point, the ogo was thriving and doubled in size. After 5 days of the new lighting, the red is fading quickly and it is covered with a film of small bubbles. It isn't a nutrient issue because parts not exposed to direct light are still doing well.
Also, I have green ogo and it is still doing well under the same lighting conditions.
I will probably move it to another bin cycling lr with less intense lighting to see if I can save it.
REEFGuy04,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I heard that red macros tend to like less light and your experience seems to support this. Do you have any other experiences with macros or seagrass that you would like to share?

Jason

I had several types do very well in my 90g reef. My lighting was 2 175w MH and 2 96w Actinic pc's. Flow was about 1500gph (900gph through fuge and 600gph with 2 powerheads).

Here is the list:
Red fern - Haliptilon Sp
Sawtooth - Caulerpa Serrulata
Grape Algae - Caulerpa Racemosa
Feather Algae - Caulerpa Sertulariodes
Cactus Algae - Halimeda Incrassata

They all seemed very hardy and were not affected by lighting or flow. The red fern was my favorite because it wasn't green... If you are looking for a red algae that one may be a good choice for you.

REEFGuy04,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I heard that red macros tend to like less light and your experience seems to support this. Do you have any other experiences with macros or seagrass that you would like to share?

Jason

I don’t agree with red macro like less light.

What I have found is that most red macro turn orange/yellow under intense light. This feature makes Dragon’s Breath very attractive. In the case of Bortacladia, it is collected by divers 60’-120’. When I receive it, the color is a dark, rich burgundy that is very attractive. When placed in higher light, it turns orange/yellow, loses flotation balls and sometimes goes sexual. In fact, two years ago, Red Grapes went sexual in #2 growout tank with red grape sprigs everywhere including dimly filter box, but of more interest, in high light areas. Under intense light, the color shifts from burgundy to fire engine red.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 0
I don't agree with red macro like less light.

What I have found is that most red macro turn orange/yellow under intense light. This feature makes Dragon's Breath very attractive. In the case of Bortacladia, it is collected by divers 60'-120'. When I receive it, the color is a dark, rich burgundy that is very attractive. When placed in higher light, it turns orange/yellow, loses flotation balls and sometimes goes sexual. In fact, two years ago, Red Grapes went sexual in #2 growout tank with red grape sprigs everywhere including dimly filter box, but of more interest, in high light areas. Under intense light, the color shifts from burgundy to fire engine red.
Thanks Subsea,
Beautiful picture! Thanks for sharing your experience. It seems like I'm constantly reading of people putting red macros in high light only not to have it do well. Would you mind posting your experiences with different macros, in particular reds and browns?

Jason

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Jason,

All you need for collection is a resident fishing license. Do not sell what you catch, then it would be a differrent license,

I have been trying to get a cultivore of G. Tikavihae for five years. Every since I spoke with Gerald Heslinger of IndoPacific SeaFarm, he informed me that many Hawaiians preferred Tikavihae over G. Parvispora, the original Red Ogo.

Considering the many differrent systems you are planning, I am sure we can trade something to benefit each other.

Let's make a deal.
Patrick

Patrick,
I am sure we can work something out. I probably won't go out till the water gets a little warmer. When I do I will let you know what I find.

Jason

Slight threadomancy, but its something near me. Hows the tank going? You are right down the road from me, Red. Used to live in Kissimmee, now out in Wedgefield closer to Cocoa. After I get back from this deployment I am planning on a 125g mixed LPS and seagrass tank with maybe some zoos tossed in as well. Was seriously thinking of mostly local type fish. What all have you found? In the past I have found files, pipes and frogfish at the beach. Seen anything else interesting that would do well?

Patrick,
I am sure we can work something out. I probably won't go out till the water gets a little warmer. When I do I will let you know what I find.

Jason

My brother, connect with the vet that just posted.

Are you collecting Gracilaria Tikvahiae?

Back