470 Gallon Mixed Reef - nuxx Reef

I have had good luck with three different CBB's with whole mysis shrimp, they won't eat piece's. It has to be on the smaller side size wise, I use San Fran Bay brand, PE seems too big. Good luck, they are great fish, beautiful and peaceful to boot.

Fish all finalized for this round of QT:
- Copperband Butterfly
- Midas Blenny
- Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse
- Crescent Tail Fairy Wrasse
- Potters Angel
- Bandit Angel

Here's a video of them all this morning, the Midas is shy:

After over a week of the Crosshatches not eating and hiding and also the super male Flame Wrasse getting beat up, I decided to pull the Yellow Belly Blue Tang... and a ton of rock lol

5 hours later...

12172015_tank_teardown.jpg

12172015_yb_blue_tang_frag.jpg

This morning without the Yellow Bellied Blue Tang, everyone was out and eating... hmmm...

Couldn't really get the rock right, might end up buying some more shelf pieces...

My blue tang messes with my bluethroat trigger too. When he isn't around, the trigger comes on out.
I have noticed they are shy fish to begin with tho.
Corey

Little bit going on...

Added the Copperbanded Butterfly and Crescent Tail Fairy Wrasse to the tank a few days ago after QT and a few days in an acclimation box.

The CBB was harassed a ton by the Black and Yellow Tangs and kept to the upper corners of the tank.

The Crescent Tail is less than an inch looked like a snack to the Crosshatches. They tried to eat him a few times the first few hours.

I put a large mirror on one side of the tank and now the Black and Yellow Tangs are too busy with it to notice the CBB. The CBB has now came down from the corner of the tank and hangs out in the rocks during the day. In the morning and night he is out more on the right hand side of the tank.

I also added the Bandit Angel to acclimation box last night. With the tangs being so distracted by the mirror, I decided to release him into the tank this afternoon.

Funny enough, not one fish paid any attention to him. He swam with the Triggers and Yellow and Chevron Tangs for a bit and nobody cared. He even ventured over to the Black Tang a few times and nothing. He's just a very curious fish and is looking around everywhere. Even when moving him from QT to the display he never splashed or anything in the species container, even when I drained most of the water out. I very laid back fish!

Just a little update :)

The CBB has been doing better in the tank. He still stays on the right hand part of the tank, but eats well.

The Black and Yellow Tangs don't bother him too much, I really haven't seen them go after him much. I think the mirror on the left hand side of the tank really messed with the tangs.

Makes me much more relieved in the thought of adding more tangs down the line. Will just put the mirror up a day or two before I let them out of the acclimation box.

The Bandit Angel has been really outgoing. He's always out and about and picking at things. Took him a few days to really go after food, now he's in a rush to beat the Crosshatches to newly dumped in food. He also goes after nori with vigor :)

Still having issues with GHA. It's stopped growing and just dying now, but still looks like crap. I tried to pull it last weekend, but with the height of the tank, being on a ladder for 3 hours only resulted in getting about 1/4th of it.

After that I mounted most of the frags from the first two batches of QT on the rockwork. One rock fell and it took me forever to get it back how I liked it. The rest of my epoxy dried, so about 15 frags didn't get mounted. I have more epoxy now and will probably mount later in the week.

I just got in 6 Sea Hares (2 x Small, 2 x Medium and 2 x Large) and added them to our fishless (for now) frag tank for a 1-2 week quarantine. Hopefully some (all) can make it through QT and into the display. Last time I tried to QT a Sea Hare for 72 days it only made it to 45 days and died :(

Hopefully these guys will get the last of the GHA in the display!

Also got a small Bounce Mushroom to try out. After a Bayer and Iodine dip I put it in the frag tank as well. I couldn't pass on the price to just try one. Not the most colorful, but hey it's a true Bounce.

Here's a video of the new Sea Hares and the Bounce Mushroom:

amazing! after seeing this im sooooo much more impressed by the kessil's ...

Thanks, I like them a lot :)

Would probably just add more if they came out with a replacement /upgrade for the A360WE that can connect to existing A360WE fixtures.

i.e. Not the standalone AP700...

I decided to take a video of the tank today, about a week or two before I add whatever Sea Hares make it through QT.

You can see the remnants of the hair algae I've been struggling with for a few months.

It's stopped growing, and looks like crap (dying), but just won't go away... Hopefully the Sea Hares take care of that. Should also allow me to back off the amount of GFO I'm running, which I think is ****ing off my LPS and zoas.

Also have a few frags to mount this weekend. Was going to mount them last weekend, but my epoxy dried up!

Last edited:
Awesome tank and great explanations of all he ups and downs you went thru.

Thanks!

I've had a lot of little annoyances, but luckily nothing catastrophic (knock on wood).

Seems like my biggest problem right now is the hair algae. Hopefully these Sea Hares will eat up the last remaining areas. I'll just then change my GFO each month and run about half of what I'm running now.

Thanks!

I've had a lot of little annoyances, but luckily nothing catastrophic (knock on wood).

Seems like my biggest problem right now is the hair algae. Hopefully these Sea Hares will eat up the last remaining areas. I'll just then change my GFO each month and run about half of what I'm running now.

I have been thru the painful algae cycles first cyano then hair , luckily that all passed. I keep hair algae in check with my tangs (about 12 of them). No nutrient problems because my filters are so efficient.

Good luck , those rabbitfish and the fowleri I got from you are doing great!

I have been thru the painful algae cycles first cyano then hair , luckily that all passed. I keep hair algae in check with my tangs (about 12 of them). No nutrient problems because my filters are so efficient.

Good luck , those rabbitfish and the fowleri I got from you are doing great!

Great to hear :)

Seems only my Yellow will nip at it, the other tangs ignore it.

Main reason I can tell the Yellow eats it, is when I see some stuck to him ;)

Went ahead and put the 6 Sea Hares in the tank last night.

Hopefully they'll clean up the leftover GHA!

They've already cleaned up one rock decently.

Are you going to try to cultivate algae for them in a separate tank once they finish of the DT. Or maybe a local reefer might need hem.
I don't know, do they eat anything else?

Corey

Back