47G SPS...Revamp

Placing acros that are accustomed to phos of 0.4 in water that is say .05 is no different to adding a ton of GFO and stripping the 0.4 water of phos overnight. I know you wouldn't recommend that to anyone but it's exactly what you've done as far as those acros are concerned. Perhaps drop your main lighting 50% for a few days as i'm thinking a number of those frags might be a tad stressed out by the abrupt drop in phos.

I hope the rest of them settle in for you without drama mate :)

If they have survived so far I would just let them be, I would suggest they are used to a more lagoon style environment in my tank due to the heavy feeding cycles, I will soon start monitoring phosphate levels at intervals throughout the day to see the reflex time on recovery post feeding.

Biggles makes a valid point however it would be evident by now with 48 hours passing I would be inclined to leave them be. Remember I run a longer lighting cycle than you by a couple of hours I think so that is naturally offset right now

Placing acros that are accustomed to phos of 0.4 in water that is say .05 is no different to adding a ton of GFO and stripping the 0.4 water of phos overnight. I know you wouldn't recommend that to anyone but it's exactly what you've done as far as those acros are concerned. Perhaps drop your main lighting 50% for a few days as i'm thinking a number of those frags might be a tad stressed out by the abrupt drop in phos.

I hope the rest of them settle in for you without drama mate :)

If they have survived so far I would just let them be, I would suggest they are used to a more lagoon style environment in my tank due to the heavy feeding cycles, I will soon start monitoring phosphate levels at intervals throughout the day to see the reflex time on recovery post feeding.

Biggles makes a valid point however it would be evident by now with 48 hours passing I would be inclined to leave them be. Remember I run a longer lighting cycle than you by a couple of hours I think so that is naturally offset right now

All other frags appear settled and look fine; the Red Dragon may have just been stressed. It was a frag on the smallish side too.

Those dragons are a finicky bunch and hard to understand.
I've had a frag of it for months while my tank went up and down and even sideways in terms of nutrients and general chemistry. It was one of a small handful of frags to weather the storm very well and even begin to grow...
BUT.. A month after I had stabalised the tank and gotten everything under control, it started to look bad. Changed colour, polyps retracted and then one morning it began to rtn.
I fragged it and the two smaller pieces rtned while the bigger piece is hanging in but I'm not too hopeful..
A beautiful and frustrating coral...

Those dragons are a finicky bunch and hard to understand.
I've had a frag of it for months while my tank went up and down and even sideways in terms of nutrients and general chemistry. It was one of a small handful of frags to weather the storm very well and even begin to grow...
BUT.. A month after I had stabalised the tank and gotten everything under control, it started to look bad. Changed colour, polyps retracted and then one morning it began to rtn.
I fragged it and the two smaller pieces rtned while the bigger piece is hanging in but I'm not too hopeful..
A beautiful and frustrating coral...

Yeah I totally agree. I got 10 frags, out of them ONLY the dragon RTNs and dies - its was also the smaller of all the frags. I checked this morning and all the rest are fine and have nice PE. 1 loss out of 10 isnt bad at all. I'm just glad I managed to pickup a Bubblegum Milli - been looking for one for years. :)

My buddy is going to frag me a larger piece once his small colony is grown out.

Last night I spent a couple of hours re-arranging various Acros. Looks like Biggles did a sneaky on my tank...I seem to have picked up a few GREENS. Not my fault at all. All Biggles' fault obviously. :reading:

FTS:
DSC_6968A_zpszrislme5.jpg

Red Planet:
DSC_6968_zpscv9q17ho.jpg

What I see from the top of my stairs as I enter my flat (living room is below):
DSC_6886_zpsi3uqw3yz.jpg

What happened to your ATI unit? When did you replace it with a Pacific Sun thingy? Have I missed something in your thread?

What happened to your ATI unit? When did you replace it with a Pacific Sun thingy? Have I missed something in your thread?

Still have my ATI. Testing the Pacsun unit for a buddy who has a small coral farm. The unit is same:8 T5 with single LED cluster. Using ATI coral+ tubes as my buddy ordered the 12K looking tubes which are similar to the ATI ABS tubes.

My ATI is no longer under warranty, so at some point I may add additional 400+415nm LEDs to the ATI. :lolspin:

Everything is looking great Sahin! Nice to see after your previous battle. The colors and overall health of your corals looks very good.

Still have my ATI. Testing the Pacsun unit for a buddy who has a small coral farm. The unit is same:8 T5 with single LED cluster. Using ATI coral+ tubes as my buddy ordered the 12K looking tubes which are similar to the ATI ABS tubes.

My ATI is no longer under warranty, so at some point I may add additional 400+415nm LEDs to the ATI. :lolspin:

All Coral+, or what's the mix? Pictures and color look fantastic IMO.

How are you liking the PacSun unit? I see that Lunar changed from ATI to Pacsun as well..... interesting. :)

great update, let us know about the light and bulbs. I recently bought the uv bulbs of pacsuns to see how well they do over some acros. are you running just the white bulbs or what combo of bulbs?

Sahin! What a come back! Tank looks super healthy and nice!
I love the fts.
Thanks. :) Some of the corals look superb. Others are coming round. Some Maricultured stuff are taking their time. But hopefully within next 3 months I can get most of the corals looking good.

Everything is looking great Sahin! Nice to see after your previous battle. The colors and overall health of your corals looks very good.
Thanks buddy. Been a long journey. But it was worth it.

All Coral+, or what's the mix? Pictures and color look fantastic IMO.
Currently running 4 Coral+, 2 Actinic and 2 PacSun CystalBlue (basically Blue+ equivalent).

Its a bit on the whiter side than i'd usually like, but the tank is evenly lit with this combo.

How are you liking the PacSun unit? I see that Lunar changed from ATI to Pacsun as well..... interesting. :)

I will always have some form of T5...as I say above, I still have my ATI. I am running the Pacsun unit as a test for a buddy who has started a small farm.

In terms of PAR, the two units are nearly the same; the ATI has slightly higher PAR. I think its probably due to the way the fans are built/designed?

The PacSun unit is heavier; it has a solid build. The ATI is as most know very well solid build.

In terms of quality of units I would score ATI higher. The ATI has the edge in that it is more refined and oozes quality about itself. The Pacsun is very decent quality though. No one has matched ATI's reflectors in terms of polish and smoothness. The Pacsun unit is more heavier/industrial feel to it. Though it is a very nice unit.

In terms of features, the Pacsun tops it with so much software control/weather simulation/real moon cycles etc.

I was always curious about the no white LED's on the PacSun, but I have to admit, to the eye, the combined LED+T5 light on the Pacsun looks great. The shimmer looks more like metal halide on the pacsun. Maybe because the LED's are in a very tight cluster.

Change to my filtration:
This weekend I added a load of chaeto to my sump with a PAR20 LED lamp for growing plants.

Since I dont run GFO and may only run GAC occassionaly, I thought I'd runs a refugium. It might not help much, but anything is useful. Plus I should get some pods as well.

great update, let us know about the light and bulbs. I recently bought the uv bulbs of pacsuns to see how well they do over some acros. are you running just the white bulbs or what combo of bulbs?

Can you please share info about the UV bulb? Which one did you get? I think they have TWO versions. How does it affect apparant coral colours? Does it pop some colours more than the standard Actinics?

Anything else I should know about this tube?

Looks great bud everything looks healthy

Thanks for checking into my thread. :)

I'm glad to hear that dead frag was an isolated loss mate, probably just down to your usual clumsy frag handling practices i reckon :thumbsup:

The reef is looking wonderful mate, love that red planet acro especially without the green :) What's that bright red blob on the rocks on the left side and the UFO hovering off the sand bed in the center, if that's a monti get rid of it, you don't have the real estate to waste on rubbish like montis and seris etc :p

I don't see any fish, what's the go with that mate. Those frags you got off your mate are all a good size. Do you have any favorite acros atm.

Back