5' X 5' Cube - 500 Gallon system

Any pics of the fishroom wade?
I dont know of any dehumidifying devices, but you could use a fan-like for bathrooms- and vent it to the outside. :)
Or use some sort of duct system.

-alien

Quote: Bebo77- The average cost of electric in California as of Nov. 2005 is .123 per kwh for residential.
The guy's on the northern east coast have it worse with an average cost of .13 to .14+ per kwh, and people in Hawaii have it for worse with an average cost of .23 per kwh.
Cward... That .123 per kwh for residential is part of what we pay. Then you have to pay that again for generation fees. Not only do they charge us for what we use. They charge us again to make the electricity. Living in California Sucks when it comes to electric rates. Bebo has it right. And to get up to the .67 rate that he got. There is different levels. Just trust me. He is right on with that rate.

I pulled the info from a Federal Government page so I'm not sure how accurate it is. If what you are saying is true, then my electric bill for just my tank would cost over $1000 per month:(

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7007121#post7007121 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alien9168
Any pics of the fishroom wade?
I dont know of any dehumidifying devices, but you could use a fan-like for bathrooms- and vent it to the outside. :)
Or use some sort of duct system.

-alien

I will take some pics tonight. There is not much to see yet because I am finishing my basement right now. I have had a plumber working on my drains, etc and that has turned into a nightmare. We had to break up the floor in order to run drains for the bathroom, etc. Once we did we noticed a ton of water. The plumber put a pump in to drain the water and it has been running for 8 hours straight! I have a miniature river/canyon in my basement! I planned on framing this weekend but that is now on hold until I can figure out this water problem. It has me very concerned. I had no idea that you could have that much water under your basement! :(

I have a 60x60x30 glass tank and a 96x30x30 glass tank that I am going to run with two skimmers and a common sump.

I think Tunze Streams are better than closed loops. I do not mind the look of powerheads in the tank though...if that is not what you want, then a closed loop might be your best option.

As for two skimmers, I have a beckett and a needlewheel. I think they will compliment each other nicely. Have fun with your tank.

Quick question for everyone. The final size of my tank is now 76" X 60" X 28". The builder is telling me that I could save money if I went with 3/4" acrylic instead of 1". He claims that 3/4" will not bow, etc. What does everyone here think? I ask because I have been told by other builders that have given me quotes that I need to go with 1".

I would say that 3/4" would work but you would need some euro-bracing... I would prob say at least 4" wide...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7054573#post7054573 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas
I would say that 3/4" would work but you would need some euro-bracing... I would prob say at least 4" wide...

I agree wade. ^^^

If price is no object go with 1"
otherwise' go with the 3/4" It will probably do great with some eurobracing. :)

-alien

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7055191#post7055191 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alien9168
I agree wade. ^^^

If price is no object go with 1"
otherwise' go with the 3/4" It will probably do great with some eurobracing. :)

-alien

Thanks guys. I guess I should have been more clear. The top will be euro braced 4" all the way around. The top will also have two cross braces with each being 6-8". That will leave me with 4 openings that are about 22" x 32" each.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6950970#post6950970 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wade2185
Thanks for the advice. I will take a closer look at the RD pumps. The price is just a little intimidating.

These pumps rock. I bought the 6.5m3 for my 270 upgrade that I am doing. Scott at Captive Oceans really took good care of me and explained everything to me before the purchase. The pump I have pushes 1717 GPH at 65 watts and these pump come with a life time wear warranty.

This pump replaced an Iwaki I was going to use for the set up.

I like the deminsions your proposing for the tank as well :) this will be another spectacular set up it sounds like.

My tank is also in the basement of my home. It is filled right now with freshwater for curing the reef ceramics I am using in it. I bought a panasonic 290 cfm whisper quiet fan controlled with a CAP-1 controller.

Can't wait to see some pics when you get going :)

Mike

wade youll definatly be fine with structural tank integrity if you have a 4 inch eurobrace and 2 x braces

It'll be solid as a rock! :)

-alien

Thank you szwab for the link above. That is VERY helpful.

I need some advice now on the overflows. The tank itself is going to be 70" long and then it will have a 6" external overflow. The overflow will be on the 60" side so it will measure 60" L X 6" W X 28" H. I would like to turn over about 4,000 GPH. What type of drains will I need? I was thinking about using 6 of the magna flow durso style drains. My existing tanks are AGA tanks and the Magna Flow drains are all that I have experience with. Can someone give me suggestions and maybe pics? I want to make sure that snails, etc can not get into my sump and clog my pumps, etc.

You might want to consider using less flow for the return to the tank. This was one problem that I ran into with my tank when I first set it up because the water crashing into the sump would create too many micro bubbles for the baffles (and foam block) to handle. Anthony Calfo suggest using slower flow from the returns and increasing flow from the closed loop or powerheads to compensate. Just something to think about.
To answer your question about drains, I'm using two 2" drains and they could easily handle my Sequence Hammerhead that I used as the return.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7058980#post7058980 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cward
You might want to consider using less flow for the return to the tank. This was one problem that I ran into with my tank when I first set it up because the water crashing into the sump would create too many micro bubbles for the baffles (and foam block) to handle. Anthony Calfo suggest using slower flow from the returns and increasing flow from the closed loop or powerheads to compensate. Just something to think about.
To answer your question about drains, I'm using two 2" drains and they could easily handle my Sequence Hammerhead that I used as the return.

Thank You. Are the 2" drains just holes or do you have stand pipes in them? Are they open to where fish and snails could get through them?

Stand pipes. The 3rd drain is for the skimmer feed that I have raised since the pic was taken. I have egg crate cut to fit the opening in the 90.

30741New_Tank_016-med.jpg

I agree with cward... I would stick to like 3-5x (1500-2500gph) turnover... I would go with like 2x 1.5" or even 2x 2" drains with durso's on them...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7059017#post7059017 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas
I agree with cward... I would stick to like 3-5x (1500-2500gph) turnover... I would go with like 2x 1.5" or even 2x 2" drains with durso's on them...

Forgive me if this sounds dumb but I have no experience with making Durso's. Did you guys make your own? From looking at the pic posted it seems pretty simple but looks can be deceiving. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7059040#post7059040 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wade2185
Forgive me if this sounds dumb but I have no experience with making Durso's. Did you guys make your own? From looking at the pic posted it seems pretty simple but looks can be deceiving. :)

It's very easy... Just need some PVC pipe, Cap, T, and a 90...

Durso%20Drain%20with%20Sched%2080%20BH.JPG

Back