5' X 5' Cube - 500 Gallon system

Wade2185

I am in the process of upgrading to a new tank. The new tank is going to be 60" X 60" X 29". It will mainly be an SPS tank. It will be made out of acrylic. Steve West is my inspiration for this tank. I currently have a 90, 120 and 55 all plumbed together. I am going to use alot of existing compenents but I also need to add some new stuff. I need some advice.

Protein Skimmer - I currently have an ASM G4 skimmer. I love this skimmer. I am trying to decide how to upgrade this. Should I just add another ASM G4 or G5 and run 2 skimmers or is there a better way?

Calcium Reactor - I currently run an Aqua Medic calcium reactor which is rated for 250 gallons. Should I just add another Aqua Medic reactor or what?

Closed Loop - I want to do a closed loop similar to Steve west. I would like to run 2 different pumps for the closed loop. I am trying to not have any powerheads in this tank. If I do run powerheads I will run 2 Tunze Stream 6080 (already have them). How big do the 2 closed loop pumps need to be? Any one have any suggestions out there?

For the closed loops on my upgrade(350 gal) I am going to be using 2 reeflo Darts. For a 500 I would consider 2 sequence Barracudas.

Cal reactor: get a new one and sell the aquamedic.

Protein Skimmer: Run two

Do you mean Steve Weast?

I would not do two seperate reactors. Get a better one. GEO makes some nice ones that won't break the bank.

used to

used to

I used to run 2 skimmers on my 300. It was a pain. They would work against one another and always require tinkering. I changed to one and had much better results. This is one of the few areas of reef keeping that redundancy doesn't help. Everywhere else I try to use 2 of everything. For example 2 smaller return pumps instead of 1 large one. If one gets stuck the tank still runs ect..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6924548#post6924548 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AcroSteve
Do you mean Steve Weast?

I would not do two seperate reactors. Get a better one. GEO makes some nice ones that won't break the bank.

Sorry, yes I meant Steve Weast. What model of GEO reactor would you suggest?

Re: used to

Re: used to

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6924657#post6924657 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by imbuggin
I used to run 2 skimmers on my 300. It was a pain. They would work against one another and always require tinkering. I changed to one and had much better results. This is one of the few areas of reef keeping that redundancy doesn't help. Everywhere else I try to use 2 of everything. For example 2 smaller return pumps instead of 1 large one. If one gets stuck the tank still runs ect..

What do you mean by "they worked against each other"? Anyone else out there running 2 skimmers?

Re: Re: used to

Re: Re: used to

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6924724#post6924724 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wade2185
What do you mean by "they worked against each other"? Anyone else out there running 2 skimmers?

when you would get one set the the level and production you want the other would be to high/low. It always required it to be messed with. I got more skim-mate after just yanking 1 of the skimmers and only running one.

Re: Re: Re: used to

Re: Re: Re: used to

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6924771#post6924771 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by imbuggin
when you would get one set the the level and production you want the other would be to high/low. It always required it to be messed with. I got more skim-mate after just yanking 1 of the skimmers and only running one.

What about running 2 sumps with a skimmer in each sump? Would that help?

I've got a friend running two skimmers on her 120 SPS reef. SHe's running a ER CS8-2 and a Aqua-C EV 240 I believe. She says they both work great together.

This is not to say I'mbuggin is wrong, he's just had different results. This could be caused by the type of skimmers he was running. Becketts can be notoriously tough to set right, (for example).

The 2 sump, 2 skimmer thing wouldnt have much of a difference in overall results since skimmers reduce available waste/nutirents/crap in the system. I suspect you'd likely end up complicating your set up unnecessarily by having two sumps.

Nick

On the subject of the closed loop pumps. It was suggested above to use 2 sequence Barracudas. Is this line of pump the most efficient as far as power consumption? I got online and looked at the specs for these and it looks like each Barracuda would use 325 watts. That is alot of power consumption over each month. I want pumps big enough to get the job done but at the same time they need to be as energy efficient as possible. Any thoughts on this?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6924910#post6924910 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wade2185
. Any thoughts on this?

yeah my though is you will have a huge tank and huge electric bill. They go hand in hand:eek1:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6924949#post6924949 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by imbuggin
yeah my though is you will have a huge tank and huge electric bill. They go hand in hand:eek1:

I know that. :) I just want to make sure that I save where ever I can. Why spend an extra $25 or $50 per month if I dont have to?

The Sequence pumps are about as energy efficient as you can get with large pumps. If energy savings are what you're after, have you looked at the Tunze Streams or the new Ecotech Vortech Pumps? They both use less than 60 watts for in excess of 3000 gph flow. Not cheap, but big tanks arent either.

Nick

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6925057#post6925057 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maxxII
The Sequence pumps are about as energy efficient as you can get with large pumps. If energy savings are what you're after, have you looked at the Tunze Streams or the new Ecotech Vortech Pumps? They both use less than 60 watts for in excess of 3000 gph flow. Not cheap, but big tanks arent either.

Nick

I have 2 Tunze 6080 Streams. Good pumps but I am trying to not have any visible pumps, etc. That is why I think the closed loop would be my best bet for circulation in this tank.

wow

wow

wow that thing says " 135W 3698 GPH " that's insane and I think that is with more head pressure than you will be running them at.

The estimate isnt very accurate for a 14m3. At least by comparison, my 12m3 pulls 170watts and is rated at 115w.

They also had some trouble with the 14m3's conversion to American current. Dont think Will would be stocking those....

I think I have figured out the flow. I am going to use an existing Dolphin Ampmaster 3600 to run 1 closed loop. I am then going to run 3 Tunze 6080 streams that will be hidden in the back overflows. Then I am going to get a Sequence pump (Baracuda) for the return which will run through my existing OM 4 way unit.

I think I am going to sell my ASM G4 skimmer and get one big one. I do not want to spend more than $1,000 for a skimmer. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good skimmer? My total water volume will be about 500 - 550 gallons and I will be heavily stocking my tank with mainly SPS. I think I need a skimmer that is rated for 750 - 1,000 gallons.

Re: wow

Re: wow

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6926980#post6926980 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by imbuggin
wow that thing says " 135W 3698 GPH " that's insane and I think that is with more head pressure than you will be running them at.

Yeah:lol: :lol: :lol: Did you also see this part: Price: $1,219.00!!!

Protein Skimmer - I currently have an ASM G4 skimmer. I love this skimmer. I am trying to decide how to upgrade this. Should I just add another ASM G4 or G5 and run 2 skimmers or is there a better way?

Adding another G4 would be not only economical, but should work. I know of a few people running 2 skimmers or more just fine. I wonder why mbuggin's did not wor though.

Calcium Reactor - I currently run an Aqua Medic calcium reactor which is rated for 250 gallons. Should I just add another Aqua Medic reactor or what?

If your current reactor is keeping up fine with your current demands on your 3 tanks running together, I would say leave it alove for now. However, if you are going to upgrade I can atterst to the GEO ebing one of the most efficient desigsn there is. I run one myself.

Closed Loop - I want to do a closed loop similar to Steve west. I would like to run 2 different pumps for the closed loop. I am trying to not have any powerheads in this tank. If I do run powerheads I will run 2 Tunze Stream 6080 (already have them). How big do the 2 closed loop pumps need to be? Any one have any suggestions out there?

If you are going to do 2 close loops like Steve's tank, I would highly suggest you get 2 hammerheads or equivalent GPH rating. You are going to need lots more to create good water flow there and will need plenty of outlets for them too. Going with Tunze streams is always another option. If your tank if going to be viewable from the front only and your back pane is black, you can always get 4 tunze streams in the back pane towards the corners and position them to create flow throughout the entire tank. They are likely not going to be visible given the large field of depth.

Just found this thread...
Sounds like the exact size that I've been dreaming about.

In regards to the skimmers, Anthony Calfo has always suggested to run 2 different type of skimmers (ie: one needlewheel and one becket) and cleaning them at different intervals weekly so as to always have the most efficient skimming.

Back