6 foot rimless shallow reef build

cmashman

So begins my epic journey into shallow reefdom. As I contemplated the size of tank that I wanted, I remembered the 46 bowfront I had when I got out of the hobby 6 years ago. I learned a lot with that tank.
1. It had no sump, and that was a mistake.
2. 2-96watt PC lights on a tank that deep was simply a coral killer/algae grower
3. IT WAS WAY TO SMALL!!

Ok, so when I decided to jump back in I began perusing various threads and came across the Shallow Reef Club thread. I was hooked on the long shallow look. I felt like it would give live stock lots of horizontal room, keep my pits dry when reaching to the bottom of the tank, keep the corals close to the light. I didn't want a long narrow box, so I wanted depth to balance out the height. So, I decided on a 72"x24"x15", roughly 112 gallons.

I have a lot to work on in the coming weeks/months, but I am getting started with the easiest portion first : the stand

I wanted my tank to span 5 floor joists to help distribute the weight, so opted for an 81" stand, since my joists are on 16" centers. This also gives lots of open space under the tank for sump/top-off/storage. Since my tank is upstairs (my home office is there. I know, a tank upstairs, but the 2x10's are only spanning<8 feet where the tank sits), I built the stand in pieces and assembled them there. The shallow tank will also go upstairs easier.
The tank is being built by Ocea in Alabama by way of Rhett Campbell here in the Nashville Area. It will be rimless with a long horizontal external overflow to allow for superior surface skimming.
I bought a used 72" Coralife Pro HQI from RC member MyBoxOfWater (thx again!) at a great price. Pictures will follow. The first ones are from my phone, but will get better ones as I go along. Hope you enjoy this thread as it moves along (tank is prob 3-4weeks or more out). Any advice or comments are welcome.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Nice choice In tank size, I think you will be happy with the 15" height as I just did a similar build just a little smaller length at 59gal. I am actually thrilled with the results so far and think you will be too. Good luck with your build, Any ? just ask.
Bill

Nice job on the stand so far. How do you plan on finishing it?
I love really long shallow rimless as much as i love big rimless cubes. :)
If the 36" cube didn't work out in my particular house, I would have wanted to do one of these long shallow ones.

Are you going to need that wall outlet on the right side? It doesnt look like it will be accessible once the tank is up and running (unless you carve out a small square section in the back of your tank stand to access the outlet).

The stand looks great!!! I like shallow tanks....

Also congratulations on that beautiful anitque it appears to be in mint condition. I havent seen or used one of those in years....(I am referring to the Drill with a cord on it)lol

Are you going to need that wall outlet on the right side? It doesnt look like it will be accessible once the tank is up and running (unless you carve out a small square section in the back of your tank stand to access the outlet).

I would think he's going to leave the whole back open.
No reason to close it up when it's going against a wall.
If it's all closed he's going to have humidity problems.
Trust me. I know. :rolleyes:

d2mini: I've been tossing around the idea of stretching marine canvas over a 1x4 frame and attaching it with velcro, snaps, or magnets, that way I don't have to worry about the skinning or finishing the skin

Octoshark: Most definately leaving it open. You can't see it, but when we built out my office, I installed three outlets on that wall spaced about 5 feet apart, so I will have plenty to work with.

Shane Hoffman: Yeah, it's an oldie. I actually almost burnt it up laying slate in our front entry trying to mix the thinset with a drill attachment. 1/3 of a 5 gallon bucket at a time was about all it could handle. It actually does much better than my 14v cordless. Would never buy another cordless < 18v

This sounds Great !!! I would love to build somthing like that on a banister in the entry way of my home . Keep us posted !

Looks great so far. I just setup a 72"X24"X12" braced tank. I bought a used tank and stand from a friend and love it. It is so easy to work in. Almost a third of it is for fragging. I broke down a 220 gallon Perfecto that was 72"X24"X30" so I was able to use the 14 bulb T5 lighting and skimmer from it. This tank is run with a 75 gallon sump outside of the stand. The sump is located on the floor next to the tank to make it easy to work in it. This setup is in my basement so it doesnt really matter how it looks. The tank has (4) 3/4" bulkhead returns along the back as well as (2) overflows. I run a Sequence Hammerhead (gated down a third, also left over) into a Oceans Motions device that opens 2 of the returns at a time every minute or so. The skimmer I am using is a leftover Tunze Master Doc 9440 which is unbelievable and able to handle over a thousand gallon tank. It's way way overkill, but I already had it. A couple days ago I switched the lighting over to (2) 400 watt halides (Reflux 20K's) and really like them a lot. Everything is run off of a ReefKeeper 2 that wont die. I had to sell my tangs, a large clown and a couple huge clams when I setup this tank but I'm not looking back.
Let me know if you have any questions. I found out a couple things the hard way as usual.
Here are some pictures for inspiration:

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

epleeds: It's 1/2" glass

jeff: Excellent. Your pix remind me why I chose the dimensions I did. Did you find that water movement was a big challenge in a tank this long? Any "lessons" learned the hard way would be much appreciated. I'm trying to decide on a sump right now. I think a 40 breeder would be perfect under my stand, but don't know that I want to drop the $130 that the local Petsmart wants to charge. With a shallow, I'm trying to decide on #'s of rock to get. How much do you est. you have?

jeff: Excellent. Your pix remind me why I chose the dimensions I did. Did you find that water movement was a big challenge in a tank this long? Any "lessons" learned the hard way would be much appreciated. I'm trying to decide on a sump right now. I think a 40 breeder would be perfect under my stand, but don't know that I want to drop the $130 that the local Petsmart wants to charge. With a shallow, I'm trying to decide on #'s of rock to get. How much do you est. you have?

Try craigslist or see if anyone in the MTRC has one for sale... 40 breeder

My next tank will be a shallow reef...I love'em

I love shallow tanks. I think this will be something like what I do on my next NEXT tank ;) Did you get the tank yet?

I probably have 100 lbs of live rock in the sump which is filled to the water line with it and another 100 lbs in the tank itself with corals growing on it. Water movement isn't much of a problem as I am keeping it moderate to low for softies in this tank. The oceans Motions device keeps things moving. The return at the far right end is split into a Y to slow water down even more over the frags. If anything, I can add a small powerhead here or there for increased flow.

Well, so much for 3-4 weeks out. I just got word that Ty has the tank done and is going to try to deliver this weekend if possible. I just started our greenhouse (will be aquaponic style) in anticipation of having a few weeks to build that out. Guess I'll be multi-tasking soon.

The tank was actually delivered to the dealer that I bought it through, so I'll either have to drive the 130 mile round trip or pay a little more and have him deliver it on Friday. Prob do that since he can help me haul it upstairs with the suction cups he has. Give me time to enclose my greenhouse and maybe start painting the stand. I did just score a 2 mos. old mp40 for $350 shipped off the selling forum that should be on it's way in a few days. I already have a Tunze 6085, so I'm thinking that should be sufficient in tank movement. Since the overflow is 36" in the center as an external, I don't think I will have any trouble with surface skimming either.
I am exploring making an acrylic sump. However, I don't have a table saw, so I guess I would need to have it all custom cut from the mfr. Any thoughts?

i love the dimenstions of your tank, sorry i cannot offer any help, but i hope this turns out well. Petsmart sucks horribly, 130 here for a 40b as well, found an lfs that sells it for 89. look around and you will find a deal :)

Back