6 foot rimless shallow reef build

Well, Rhett said that he should be able to deliver the tank today:bounce3:

I got two coats of Kilz on the top of the stand so it is ready for the foam and then the tank.

On a side note, here is the progress on the greenhouse (figured since it will also house fish, and it affects time on my reef build, I'll post it this once.)

Attachments

• greenhouse up.JPG
    greenhouse up.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 1
Ok, Rhett (RC: commonstranger) just called to apologize that he forgot he had dinner reservations tonight with his wife. Guess I can let that one slide. He promised around 9am tomorrow. It wiil give me a chance to seal up the Greenhouse and do some more figuring on the sump.

I really like the concept that this site has:
http://www.pny.se/aquarium/diy_sump.php

I like the idea of having the top off and an isolated water change section all integrated. Will need to have a good and long sump for that though. So, the designs will continue to marinate in my head.

Also wrestling with going bare bottom or shallow sand bed. I had an awful time with diatoms in a 3" bed when I had my last tank years ago, but it was probably due to top-off/water change water quality as much as anything. I know there are great arguments either way, so I know it will come down to personal preference.

Oh, the MP40 came in the mail yesterday. Looks brand new. Haven't tried it out yet as I don't have the tank, of course, but looks great. Thanks to RockStarFish for the fast, honest txn.

Tanks (pun intended) to Rhett from Lighthouse Coral for a smooth transaction and helping my bring my tank upstairs. The tank is awesome. I love how Ty at Ocea made the external cup overflow. Defiantly glad I went that route. Now, the pictures:

Last I was in the hobby I had this pitiful try:
25078tank.jpg

Now I'm in the game for real:

DSCF6063.jpg

This is the view from seated in my desk chair, turned 90 degrees left from my desk. Oh what a view:

DSCF6068.jpg

Tank is 1/2" glass:
DSCF6065.jpg

Long view:
DSCF6067.jpg

Overflow teeth:

DSCF6066.jpg

Inside the external cup overflow:
DSCF6064.jpg

Now, I just have to check the "Silent, Failsafe Overflow" thread to see if there is a modification for overflow bulkheads the come up from the bottom instead of the side.

The stand/tank height work perfect so that sitting in my desk chair, I'm looking at a giant window to the deep (well, eventually it will be).

Last edited:
Nice I been thinking about doing a shallow tank like this. I think Rhett a great guy to work with.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

Tagging along for this one. One question, do my eyes decieve me or does the stand sag in the middle just a bit? It might be just the pic but I thought I'd ask.

fasteddie99: It is just the angle of the picture. It's 21 1/16" on the right, left, and middle. In theory, I shouldn't need a middle brace, but I am thinking I might put one in anyways. It's 3/4" plywood on top of a 2x6. But still, an overbuild is always better than underbuild on a tank stand.

I think I have the overflow figured out. Now, if I could just get a dadgum (yes I live in the South) sump....

Love the tank. I was going to get that size, but went with a 50 shallow. Love it as well, but the 6' foot print is slick. Keep up the good work.

If you don't mind me asking......who built your tank? I am in the purchasing phase of a 96x24x20 deep same design as yours with overflow off the back, but just got quoted $4,695:eek1: And thats without delivery!!!!!!!!

stan: whoa, that's outrageous. I had mine built by Ocea, based in Alabama. They don't sell directly to the public, but here is the name and number of the local dealer I used (his company is Lighthouse Corals)
Rhett Campbell (931-205-3927)
Now, of course the shipping to me hear was reasonable since I live only a couple hours away. He brought a load of tanks up and we were able to divide the cost out. Even if shipping was $400 or so, you should be looking at half of that price, I think. Give Rhett a call, tell him Chad in Gallatin recommended contacting him.

Nice looking tank - I want one.
Question - your solid floor on the bottom of your stand. Every other stand I've seen has had legs - the reason I though would allow for more variances in the floor - a 3 leg stool is level anyplace, 4 legs can wobble easy and a flat surface has all kinds of problems.

Looks like you have it worked out so I was just wondering...Nice to catch spills...

bradmugs: I designed it mainly for three reasons:
1. My stand had to be 30" or less as my ceiling slopes down, so I needed the extra space underneath
2. You are correct in that it should help to minimize splash-outs of the minor variety ( I caulked all seams on the inside, so I am fairly confident that even a large amount of water would sit there at least until I ran downstairs and grabbed a bunch of towels.
3. A full sheet gave the stand more rigidity. I don't know if it significantly spread the tank weight out more than just a stand with legs contacting the floor, but it seems to.

The tank is currently level all of the way around. I made sure to be super picky at Lowes to pick out only super straight boards. They always seem to be on the bottom/back of the stacks of lumber.

Last edited:
Back