60g cube tank build

Im thinking I am going to actively search for a new home for my clam. Putting it up for sale. This will clear some room for more corals ;-) ! The thing is atleast 12-13" long and 9" wide. It should be a center piece rather than crowded and overwhelmed.

Id be interested if he traded me a new Apex for it. I think its worth all of that anyways. He wanted 1000 for his.

How do you like the ati setup vs the radium. I have the same size tanks and am always looking at new lighting. For me heat is not an issue.

How do you like the ati setup vs the radium. I have the same size tanks and am always looking at new lighting. For me heat is not an issue.
I personally love my ATI 8x24w T5...if I had the money Id get the LED/T5 combo that ATI just came out with which is completely dimmable. I added a strip of blue 460 nm LEDs in the front for the dusk viewing and to give that little extra POP POP for the corals. Could I have added a ATI super actinic to my bulb setup? yeh but this gives me the controllability that LEDs offer and none of the other issues. I love the coverage of the fixture. The colors are great...not fake or washed out blue either. When I had the radium in the lumenbright pendant it was good color and moderate growth but none of the light phasing that my current set up offers or the color tweaking that I love so much about T5s. The ATI fixture looks great too in my living room where as the pendant was BIG and BLACK...basically an eye sore. If I had dedicated fish room and could hide the lighting behind the tank Id prolly go with a combo of radiums with dimmable led supplementation. But given my current tank and its position Im very happy with my lighting...more so than with the old radiums and definitely more so than with the AI SOls.

Like I said earlier, if I had the money Id go with the new ATI combo lights.

Heres a few pics I snapped a few weeks ago for an update. More will come in the next couple weeks when I have a chance to take more pics.
acanmouthcopy_zps7fe2f6e9.jpg

pearlberrycopy_zpscb21a877.jpg

Thanks for your input. Just an awsome tank. What is your bulb combo? I also did the AI Sol, a big expensive mistake. How is the heat production from the T5's? I live in an area that my heater cycles on and off and use the heat from the MH to help heat the tank during the photoperiod. Thanks for sharing your tank.

Heat production from T5s isn't much...maybe a degree while all on. they are ventilated well with multiple fans.

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate a fellow reef nut enjoying my tank.

Nice photos. Post up some more when you have time. You have an awesome tank, you don't show it off though. :thumbsup:

Had a local reefer friend sell me a relay board and wired up this kill switch for my skimmer so that I will not have another skimmer overflow on my hands. took some pics to share.
uploadfromtaptalk1368970129086_zps95f1d101.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1368970117072_zpsca606660.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1368970100002_zpsa8b769f7.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1369502548564_zps9530a5a2.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1369502632195_zpscccf4c99.jpg

Steve: If you've time, post a couple of pics of the "long view" of your under-tank, and possibly back-of-stand set-up.

I've just set up a 50g rimless cube from Cadlights - so basically what you have except slightly shorter. Like most folks, I plugged everything in and left it on the floor beside the tank, so now I have to decide where to mount 2 vortech control units, two LED ballasts, a couple of power strips, etc...

The problem I'm facing is that I am pretty skittish about mounting the electrics inside the cabinet. There's an awful lot of high humidity and salt spray in there, and while I don't fear getting shocked (former electrician in my much younger days), I really don't want to replace a vortech control unit either b/c of salt corrosion.

After keeping "traditional" reefs for years that all had canopies, I was a bit surprised about the amount of humidity that an exposed rimless throws off. Great in the winter, not so much in the summer!

Ill try and snap a pic but nothing stellar about my under tank setup. I have my RK2 attached to the back of the inside stand wall with mostly everything plugged into it. I have the RK2 control head on the door. Both vortech controls are mounted on the back side of the exterior of the stand below tank level. I fastened the vortech/ATI power supplies onto the back stand too with zipties and Velcro. Nothing spectacular but it works.

Thanks, Steve - that's actually helpful in that it sounds like at least the RK controller/switching power strip can tolerate the humidity.

I'm still trying to figure out how to mount all of the modern acoutrements to a reef tank - I'm afraid that I'm going to wind up with a set-up that's reminescent of one of Spectre's control panels in a 1960's James Bond flick. :)

Actinic Shots from the other night

Actinic Shots from the other night

Took a few snap shots while I had the camera out. Not easy shooting in the dark with actinics on. I think a got a couple good ones.
SSCactinic2_zps2a77a485.jpg

watermelonactinic_zps040f83b0.jpg
yellowtiptortactinic_zps71b881ee.jpg

turakiactinic_zps7949ff2c.jpg

greenacroactinic_1_zps609fb6de.jpg

yellowfungiaactinic_zpsd61d91a3.jpg

rainbowacanactinic_zps646daf78.jpg

orangefugia_zps91cd08bd.jpg

Yeah definately use a tripod. Other than that, its getting the white balance so that the photos look as good as the corals look in person.

Having said that, you got some nice colours on your acros so I would like to see some full lighting shots too. :D

Nice tank, looking to upgrade myself to a 60-65 gal cube from my 37cube. Tank looks nice and stand is great. Love the pics.

Being in Cali and residing near San Andreas fault, I can't justify a rimless ( would love one ) but nature says I can't so I'm leaning towards a custom cube build ( acrylic ).

Thanks Sahin. Its been crazy around here with kids and summer but I do plan on taking pictures sooner rather than later. Some of my pieces are really starting to fill out. I havent shot my tank since I changed the bulbs so I want to see how these colors compare with my old (similar) bulb combo...to my eye they look better.

650- On some days I wish I went with a eurobrace tank and on others I love my rimless. Its usually about the time Im cleaning the tank and water is splashing everywhere or when a fish shoots water over the edge and it makes the glass look like crap. For the most part, I love the tank itself and my stand is money. The only thing I wish is that it was bigger :) ...some day.

Really enjoyed reading through your journal mate and the results speak for themselves, looks beautiful and will only get better as everything really grows in. :thumbsup:
Are those orange discs expensive in the US as 1-3" ones go for $30-$50 here and i always see plenty for sale - i'm grabbing one after seeing your actinic shot :) Think i'll get an acan or two as well thanks to you - you're costing me some money now mate.........:p
Looking forward to seeing what goes in place of that giant clam when you move it on :)

Biggles- Thanks for the kudos. The orange fungia go for about $50-150 in a retail shop. It depends on the shop, its proximity to Boston and the size of the plate. I was luck to get it from a local reefer for $20 (it was 1.5 cm) . He almost lost his fungia only to have it rebound and continually spit out new baby plates...he has a money tree in his tank. Ive heard that shops have offered him crazy money for the mother colony but he wont sell.

I FINALLY replaced all of my LR with beautiful new cured Marco rock. Rearranged all the coral with no spas or aptasia to bother their growth. It took from yesterday at noon to 11 pm last night but it was worth it i think. I'm going to shoot macros later today or next weekend but here's a quick peak.
asu9u6eg.jpg

Back