6201 stopped, 3000.610 worn down

wrott

Hey Roger,
The 6201 is 14 months old, I regularly clean the impellers and parts.
Today the pump had stopped, I took it apart and the upper bearing was jammed, and obviously worn down.
What caused this, is my pump going to be OK to use?
I see 3000.610 for sale at Aquarium Specialty for $1.60, should I order a couple, and is there any other problem that I might have w/ this pump (I have 2 6201s).
Thanks, Rodney

Update:
After I took it apart, I put it back together and it ran fine for a hours--I'm not sure how long but it had stopped again.
Yesterday I replaced the upper bearring w/ one from a 6060 that had no visible signs of wear, it ran fine. I just checked it this morning and it is stopped again.
I just have never had a Tunze stop after having a 6100 and a 6060 for 5 years--granted they have slowed down in need of a cleaning before.
Just wondering what to try.
I'm going to take it apart again and thoroughly inspect the o-ring and look for particulates behind it.

Cleaned everything, it ran fine for ~45min then stopped again(I'm not sure exactly how long it ran--I checked it 45min later).
Please advice.
TIA, Rodney

Last edited:
The only thing that I can think of that would wear an upper bearing is sand or grit of some sort that entered the pump. Regardless, I don't think that is the culprit here. A worn bearing would generally just result in noise. I think the pump has an issue with the electronics. It is under warranty so I would just send it in.

Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753

Roger:
I sent it Monday. But I also sent the cord going to the multicontroller. Please return it when you find the problem, so that I can expedite proper flow to my aquarium.
TIA, Rodney Ott

I haven't seen it yet, but if it comes in today I will get it done first thing Monday.

Thanks Roger for the very quick turnaround. My livestock and I really do appreciate it!
I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving,
Rodney

Back