700 gallon Ray pond build

saltyguy51

I pretty much have this laid out now and alot of the pieces cut so I would like to ask if 12" centers on the wall should be good being there is only going to be 18-20" of water in there and what typ
DSCN0038.jpg
e of adhesive or glue would you use in putting this together?

I would post this over in the large tank section, you'd get a lot more knowledgeable replies :)

Looks nice so far.

I hope your foundation can handle the 700 gallons of water, that's 3 tons just in water weight. Most floors arent made to handle that much of a load in one area.

Im just going to use either a 35 mil blue vinyl liner or a 45 epdm black pond liner not to sure yet. My wife said it would be a good hot tub. Recty I see many basements with 4' of water in them and the concrete did'nt budge.

Hey deano! Pond looks awesome. I wouldnt worry about the water weight. Youve seen my shark pool and i have no worries down in the basement.

What are you doing for humidity control? Is there another floor above it? Looking forward to seeing the finished pond. Good luck.

Dan

Havent thought about the humidity but thats a good point, I have a dehumidifier down here already that doesnt shut off with the 5' round pool and the 2 tanks. I guess I will have to get either a larger one or have 2 of them down here. Yes there is a floor above. At one time I must of had 30 square feet of open tanks and didnt notice any problem.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15707338#post15707338 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyguy51
Havent thought about the humidity but thats a good point, I have a dehumidifier down here already that doesnt shut off with the 5' round pool and the 2 tanks. I guess I will have to get either a larger one or have 2 of them down here. Yes there is a floor above. At one time I must of had 30 square feet of open tanks and didnt notice any problem.

Is there a laundry room near by ? if so you could hook up a humidistat to an exhaust fan tied into the same line as your dryer. could also port out your light heat that way. of course I have no idea of what type of lighting you're using :rolleye1:

sweet start to a killer build. ont let any of the negative feedback get to you, if your worried about the load weight on the floor, any good concrete guy should be able to tell you if your safe. Cant wait to see this one, what will you use for filter and circulation pumps?

Is that on a concrete basement floor? If so, I can't imagine the weight being an issue. I am sure a math wizard can chime in, but the 700 gallons is obviously being displaced over a large area. Of course, I am just an accountant who can't nail two boards together :)

I have a 550 gallons over 24 sq ft of floor (8x3), and I have had no issues.

As for evaporation, I would think the large surface area would promote evaporation even without considering the lighting. I have to run 2 dehumidifiers in my basement to keep up with my 550.

Yes Im not at all worried abot the floor and I was thinking about one of those multipurpose sanyo aircond./ dehumid. and i wont have anything special for lights other T-12s 9300k. So far a sump, Dolphin pump.

Salty, what kind of rays are you looking at? I have zero experience with them. I was at a resort in Oahu in May that had the coolest shark/ray ponds in the front of the resort. It was like koi ponds on steroids. They were obviously bigger than anything we could keep in our home, but darn cool :)

I bought a Cal. Round Ray July 10 and put in a 5 ft pool and 2 weeks ago she had 2 pups and I had already orderd another one.

I work in the insurance restoration business, you can find large dehumidifiers that we use when we remediate floods, pipe breaks, etc., there are a few companies like pheonix, dri-eze, that will allow you to run it every few days, and have a drain tube that can be placed into a wash tub or into a sump crock, they can pull many gallons a day if needed.

Do you really think I will need all that? This is an old unfinished basement, we do have a full bath downhere and my so called office (desk and computer and file cabinet) and the washer and dryer are down here but nothing that I would be to concerned about like nice wood furniture, so another humidifier like a 70 pint should do the trick or the combo air cond./dehumidifier would keep the basement cooler during the summer.

Back