700 gallon Ray pond build

Try searching RC for Mr.4000. Although he had a much larger tank, humidity principle is the same. Here is one link: Mr.4000

Looks like way too interesting a project to overlook this issue. Good luck and keep us posted.

Dan

Hey folks we are talking about 9' round pond not a 15x 30' pool. The sistern in this house which now is our downstairs bathroom is 12x12 and had 4-5' of standing water in it continually (unless a drought) and there arent any structual problems in the house due to high humidity and they did not even have dehumidifiers then, so I'm not giving it any more thought. If I need to take care of the problem I will. But thanks though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15711585#post15711585 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyguy51
I bought a Cal. Round Ray July 10 and put in a 5 ft pool and 2 weeks ago she had 2 pups and I had already orderd another one.

Very cool ,any pictures

Just an FYI, I'm not saying you have to worry about this but...

Evenly distributed load, like a basement sitting with 4' of water in it, isnt going to crack the floor. Concrete has an amazing compressive tolerance, it can handle lots and lots of weight being stacked on it evenly, evenly being the key to the whole equation.

However, 3 tons sitting in the middle of the floor not being evenly distributed across the entire floor is a different scenario. You've got a lot of weight trying to push the middle of the floor down, no weight trying to push the rest of the floor down... concrete does not have very good strength in that regard. I'm sure your floor is rebar reinforced so that will help.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I've read posts in the large tank section where they had engineers check out their concrete floor in their basement and they didnt think it would handle the load long term so they had to go with different options. I'd be willing to bet in your case you'll be OK, because the area of the bottom of your pond is a lot greater than most people's large tanks which are not circular.

Do what you want, just want you to have the facts :) I'd hate to see you get a nice new tank set up and end up with a cracked foundation in 6 months.

If I was setting up that large of a tank, I would at the very least just find out my basement slabs thickness and post on a housing forum or a engineer forum and tell them the dimensions of your tank, the planned weight and the thickness and age of your slab and see what they say. You could get actual good advice most likely for free, instead of advice from people who dont actually have any experience in the matter but are happy to chime in anyway ;)

Darn, that is a cute vide :lol:

Is the rockwork necessary for the rays? It seems most of the ray pools I have seen were fairly empty. (Just a question, I have no idea).

Most older homes have a fairly thick basement floor, and the fact that old cement is extremely hard, you should be fine. I think it's an issue for guys who do a cement block/waterproof paint right on the floor. Shifting or hairline cracks can be a big problem for them.

Also, as long as you have a good dehumidifier and keep the filter clean, you should be good. I run an extra box fan to circulate the air and I did not have an issue when I had 900 gallons in the basement.
I think Damnpepshrimp had trouble because his dehumidifier was not up to the task. ;)

Brian the rock isnt needed but at the time it was given me and I didnt have a place to put it, but only one piece is in there now.

Ray pond

Ray pond

Its been a while since I posted on this project because I have been so busy, but got all my curved plates cut and laminated together and my grand son and I worked on it last night and this afternoon. Used PL 400 to glue it all together. Ended up going on 11" centers for the 2x6 walls. Tomorrow going to put the floor joyces in and this comming week put on the inside and outside skin
DSCN0054.jpg
s using 2 layers of 1/4" plywood and then I can lay the floor in.

It's cool that you let your grandson help you, and it's really looking like you're doing a good job.

When you post your pictures, put the picture link separate from the text. They need to be in separate rows to be displayed in a column. Then put a space or two between each picture, like this:

(IMG)http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/barbianj/IMG_2767.jpg(/IMG)

thanks again Jerry. I had bought another Ray from the same person in St. Louis 5 or 6 weeks ago and had'nt had a chance to go down and pic it up and he emailed me and told me that it died so I have to go elsewhere to find a mate for Wilma. Might have one coming from a LFS in Bolingbrook, Il.. He will order it direct from a supplier in LA and will find out tomorrow if they have a mature male (Fred) haha

Back