92 Degrees!!!!

.... and still climbing. frozen water bottles last less than 5 minutes in the tank now, and I don't think there's much that I can do, except wait for the heat wave to end, and watch my corals recede and die. this really sucks. guess I just wanted to rant..... ever try ranting to a non-reefer? Have a good day :rollface:

never had that problem, but you could try making up fresh salt water with the coldest tap water you can get and doing water changes to get the temp in the tank down? maybe that would do anything though...

never had a heat wave (our record hottest day was just 36, we are usually around 26 in summer), really sucks though!

Get the top off the tank and try to direct a fan down over the surface. Evaporative cooling can really help more than you think.

MegsB: Ya, I hear you guys are having a nice (cool) summer in BC. Wish I was there, I love it out there

Herkey: no top on my tank, and already have a fan pointing at the top of the tank

Mapler: heater is off

Tks for the help, but I don't think much can be done, except to wait it out, and hope for the best. Like I said, I just wanted to rant

I think the red flatworms like the heat though. I've never seen them in my tank before, but now my tank is infested, and I've noticed a lot more threads in the past few weeks on red flatwroms

John,

What's the temperature of the room where the tank is?
I assume no air conditioning in the house?
What kind of lighting do you have?

Ok, I live in a place where it's hot all year round and temperature is of major concern. If you can go out and buy a chiller don't read any further just go on and by a chiller.

If you're still reading you don't or can't buy a chiller. Here's what you can do. Get a plate of glass and have it standing at the back of the tank. Keep much of the plate above the surface. Use a power head(s) to pump water onto the plate and let it floor down into the tank. This greatly increases available surface are and thus increases evaporation. Add three or four small fans into your system. Blowing at the glass plate and the surface of the aquarium and another blowing air away from the aquarium. Your rate of evaporation will increase rapidly and you should notice a 4 to 5 degree drop in water temperature within a few hours. Drip chilled freshwater into the tank to make up for the evaporated water. Keep the make up water container in a styrofoam container and put ice into it as well.

I did this once when we had a terrible heatwave temperature of upto 38 degrees celcius.. Try this... it's tedious but works.

My current tank runs two small fans on it at all times and this manages to keep the temperature constant at 27 degrees celsius. Room temerature is about 30 or 31.

All the best. And by the way, it's better to have tried and lost than to have not tried at all.

Invest in a chiller, if this is cost prohibitive then get a powerhead and a good amount of flexible tubing and a beach cooler. Place a couple of bags of ice in the cooler(open the bags) Use the powerhead to run the water thru the cooler with the tubing winding thru the cooler and back to your tank. If you have a canister filter, put the filter into a bucket and load with ice. I use the latter if it gets to hot. If you need greater cooling add table salt to the ice. This will make the ice colder. Just like a ice cream maker. Chiller size for your tank 1/15 HP cost about $250.

Last edited:
Make sure that there is enough surface agitation - that helped a bit. I pointed my fan onto the water surface as well to help agitate as well - blowing across the top didn't do much for me.

You need action and fast. Fill a couple of soda bottles with water and freeze them. Float them in your tank until the temperature drops below 85.

Thanks for all the help guys. I live in Canada, so no need to spend for a chiller for 1 month per year when we get these crazy heat waves.

The ice bottles works very temporarily. I can only do it when I'm home, which is usually in the later evening, and then my stress is I'll get it down from 92 to 85, but my apartment is also crazy hot, so the temp in the tank will just climb back up to 92 pretty fast. No airconditioning at my place (recently divorced, so the ex is happy and cool with the a/c). The temp in my apartment now is 98. I'm thinking of staying in a motel tonight....

Anyway, lots of good idea's above I hadn't thought of before. Thanks again for the help

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10466717#post10466717 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by taillonjohn
The temp in my apartment now is 98. I'm thinking of staying in a motel tonight....
Wow! Sorry to hear that John.
I'm just thinking out loud. . .
I don't know much about living in Canada, but, do you have a window that you could temporarily mount a window air conditioner in? Around here, room air conditioners have gotten so cheap that I could buy one for the same amount that 2 nights in a motel would cost me. That would help you and your tank.

you either need ac or a chiller, it will be a problem every year and will lose more money on coral and livestock than the cost of window ac/chiller

You can try running a line to a cooler filled with ice and back to the tank.( helps if you spool the line in the cooler, this gives the water more time cool.

That sounds like a good idea Firefish kind of like the coolers they use to cool draft beer lines that have a long run the bar.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10469381#post10469381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by firefishred
You can try running a line to a cooler filled with ice and back to the tank.( helps if you spool the line in the cooler, this gives the water more time cool.

This method works well. You can get large rubbermaid and about 20' of tubing, even a clean garden hose that is drinking water approved will work. Coil the tubing in the trashcan, pack it with ice, and set up a temporary closed loop.

And you can also keep your beer cold in that cooler. Being a Kannuck that probably means Molsons. :D

Nope, I like LABATT. I'm a Bud man, and I hope you all know that Bud is Canadian

What an awesome idea to keep my tank and beer cool. And if I can find a container big enough, I can get in too :)

Thanks guys, I think it'll be ok, since its the weekend now, so I can rig this up and keep an eye on it. I wasn't confident about rigging up something like this while I was at work and couldn't watch it

Have a great weekend

Back