A co-op of marine breeders?

ichthyogeek

Maybe this is a bit idiotic, but are there any co-ops of marine breeders? Kind of like ORA, but more of a hobbyist-led organization? I know that some marine fish just aren't suitable for commercial aquaculture because of their requirements for spawning, etc. So are there any organizations that advertise certain breeders. Kind of like "Oh here, this person raises dottybacks. That person's in charge of gobies. This person has X varieties of clownfish." "Oh, this person lives in City, State, you can arrange a purchase through this person" ? Would this make a good business idea? Since saltwater breeding's harder than freshwater breeding, it makes sense to band together, right?

From memory there used to be a cichlid cooperative based in Israel where breeders had leased a premises as a group and individuals could breed and raise various breeds that were then sold by the co-op at agreed pricing. This group distributed internationally - unfortunately I can't remember the name of the group.

Each member of the co-op leased there breeding mini farm on a user pays system. I believe they received a grant to kickstart the idea.

Probably off the mark but interesting nonetheless.

@Muttley000, sort of not really. I feel that it's more of an information based site, which helps breeders, but doesn't really organize them together.

lawdog75, I think you're right on the mark! Can you tell me more?

I apologize for sending this so late. I recently moved to college, and I've only just had downtime.

Back