A Few New Toys

Aaarrrggg

I had to order some meds for the dogs from Dr Fosters and Smith, so I used the free shipping as an excuse to grab an Azoo Micro Temp Controller.

temp-control-box.jpg
temp-control.jpg

I plugged in both of my heaters (it can control up to 3) and placed the probe in the sump. I left the temp at 26°C... no point in fighting the default if it resets in a power outage. I stuck the control unit high up on the inside of the cabinet, so it can't normally be seen, but if I crouch I can easily read the current temp glowing through the glass doors. I'm starting to really like my see-through doors! It certainly makes keeping an eye on the equipment easier.

In my quest to achieve the perfect dark fuge I went a little nutty...
I gotta have more shower poufs!

more-poufs.jpg
pouf-fude.jpg

There was a deal on Amazon for a 12 pack, so I thought what the heck... if I'm going to make a go of this fake chaeto stuff then I might as well go all in. Now granted, they could become somewhat of a nitrate trap, but hopefully the pellet reactor will be able to deal with that.

Speaking of nitrates, they're now somewhere between 5-10ppm... which is great considering I've upped the feeding to about 1/2 a cube of frozen a day (previously it was ~3rd, every other day.) I'm traditionally pretty stingy with feeding, but as I want both clowns and cardis to get their "groove on," I've been forcing myself to be more generous. I saw some people talking about the EHEIM auto-feeder on a forum and thought one might be a good idea to provide the tank with a quick morning snack (and feed when I forget to!)

auto-feeder-box.jpg

After programming it (easy!) and filling it with some crushed up flake food, I positioned it in the canopy at the front of the tank.

(View from back of tank looking towards front)
auto-feeder.jpg

I set a test time and waited excitedly for the feeder to turn on. After about a minute it rotated and tipped in some flake food, which proceeded to go straight down the overflow.... D'oh! Maybe flake isn't the best stuff to put in it!? :lol:

I've been considering getting some Anthias and saw someone mention successfully feeding them New Life Spectrum 1mm pellets... so I'll probably go with some of that for the auto-feeder. Here's hoping they might sink a little better... or at least be easier for the fish to spot before they get sucked down the overflow.

I have never heard of fake Cheato before. lol. I hope it all goes well for you. The temp controller it pretty cool. I also like the fish feeder.

Thanks! Wish I could claim credit for the shower poufs but I got the idea from a thread in another forum. So far so good. I do very much like not having to worry about chaeto trimming and from what I can tell the pods don't seem to be noticing a difference! :D

Back