a few questions about peacock mantis shrimp

MiltonB

I am currently looking into my first SW tank (30 gallon) and ive been interested in peacock mantis shrimp. what is their life expectancy? Can i put fish in the tank as well? are there any faqs that can give me more info on them? I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, i am very new to SW tanks.

there are a bunch of threads on them here look at some and if you have more questions im sure we can help you out.

A 30 gallon is prefect to me and how long they live i'm unsure but i have had many of Peacocks and i tend to get smaller ones then larger ones. I like to think the younger they are, the longer they are with you...lol Plus sometimes are cheaper smaller. My first one didn't mind room mates in the tank, however were picky what where with her. It really depends on the temperament of the type you have. Some is more tolerant and others kill anything you put in there. Not sure if this is a fact but i have read Peacocks less strike on striped fish. (Had a Gold striped Maroon Clown with her they seem to be a good pair and the Lawnmower Blenny lasted pretty long but it went in her burrow too much and yea sad ending :(. I'd introduce the Peacock to the fish rather fish to the mantis but that's me.) In my experience its pretty true...shrugs. I have seen them with reef settings and do well with corals but will very likely eat any cleaner crew you put in the tank. Maybe with a exception of a few, sea stars, large Turbo Snails and yea. Pretty much what i can sum up...:bounce3:​

No stupid questions... don't worry! A peacock is a pretty hardy species so long as you give proper care. Some people have luck with fish and others don't-each mantis has its own personality.
Here's a good site with some FAQ like you asked for. Don't be afraid to ask everyone here more if you need!
Lurker's Guide

And I agree with Mantiso_O about getting them smaller. Unless you have a good LFS you're comfortable with, you might talk to Billy at stomatopod.com about getting a younger one. That's where I got mine and she was only about 2" at the time. He packed and shipped her very safely. GOOD LUCK! ^_^

sup milton, is this going to be your first tank? if so, i suggest not getting your mantis for a while. first off, you can get your water quality perfect if you wait and you can get the hang of the hobby by just keeping fish. this will also help by introducing the mantis after having your fish for a while. there are just many factors and things that can go wrong setting up your first tank, so i suggest you go with an easy FOWLER ( fish only with liverock ) first and than later on, adding a peacock. remember they are prown to shell rot, so only low lights. if you want corals, probably only softies will work. GL and feel free to ask questions!

alright thanks for the help everyone!

sup milton, is this going to be your first tank? if so, i suggest not getting your mantis for a while. first off, you can get your water quality perfect if you wait and you can get the hang of the hobby by just keeping fish. this will also help by introducing the mantis after having your fish for a while. there are just many factors and things that can go wrong setting up your first tank, so i suggest you go with an easy FOWLER ( fish only with liverock ) first and than later on, adding a peacock. remember they are prown to shell rot, so only low lights. if you want corals, probably only softies will work. GL and feel free to ask questions!
Alright I completely understand. A friend is giving me the tank and with live rock etc and i plan on getting a few ocellaris clownfish while i get more accustomed to the tank. This should give me enough time to fully research mantis shrimps. Thanks for the advice!

Back