A nano tank to replace my 140g setup

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14309891#post14309891 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Doesn't matter. You just stick to your price, and explain the added value to would-be buyers. The right person will understand and purchase it, just like you did.

The guy who did come down seemed impressed with the features of the tank, but it turns out someone posted a 180g with more "goodies" for less on the local buy and sell a few days later. I suspect that must be what happened to him. :) Of course that tank didn't have the nice steel stand and starphire front. :)

Tyler

I agree with Marc on 50% more or less of the original price, and then sticking to it. Someone will pick it up as that really is a great price for your set up.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14314887#post14314887 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Electrobes
I agree with Marc on 50% more or less of the original price, and then sticking to it. Someone will pick it up as that really is a great price for your set up.

Yeah, that was my thought. I am not willing to just give away the tank. If it turns out nobody wants to pay a reasonable price I'll just move it to the basement and leave it there for now.

I'm thinking of picking up a set of suction lifters so that moving the tank is less of an issue for a potential buyer. It's also something I've been wanting to have on hand for myself as well.

Tyler

Well, here's my current setup until I can get the nano tank bought and up and running.

My 100g sump from my old setup is still running, with a 250w radium 20k bulb as the main source of light. There's a bunch of liverock, a single damsel that managed to elude capture, and a small assortment of frags from the old system:
IMG_4267.JPG

Some kinda acro that was mega-brown in my old 140g setup:
IMG_4269.JPG

A bali aquaculture acro I got a long while ago that looked like crap in my 140g setup is coloring up amazingly:
IMG_4268.JPG

On the left is the bali acro, the middle is the "mystery-previously-brown", then there's a tiny piece of tricolor acro with AMAZING polyp extension in the sump, and on the right some of my digitata:
IMG_4270.JPG

Finally, an assortment of live rock that I bleached, rinsed, bleached, and then rinsed again; thoroughly dead, thoroughly free of bubble algae and aptasia:
IMG_4271.JPG

Since the tank isn't moving I need to decide if I just want to go ahead with buying the nano tank -- perhaps I can justify it as doing my part to help economic recovery in North America! :)

Tyler

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14345642#post14345642 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Explain to us how the dead rock and the power supply go together. ;)

:) That table became a dumping ground in the basement for all things from the old 140g setup. Off frame to the right is the big Sequence pump that was my return pump. :)

The power supply was my initial (overkill) solution to running some LED moon lights.

Tyler

I've been playing around with my now dried clean rocks and trying to come up with rock scaping ideas.
IMG_4276.JPG

IMG_4274.JPG

Clearly the screwdrivers and PVC pieces will not be there. I plan on using acrylic rods to join things together. I imagine I might need to have an acrylic base to make sure its stable.

Tyler

Sorry you are having trouble moving your 140g Tyler. I'd be interested, but I have my 120g that I still need to start.

Can I ask where you got your starboard? I'm going BB on the 120g. In fact, are you parting it out? I could trim down your starboard to fit if you were willing to sell.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14369851#post14369851 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WinnipegDragon
Sorry you are having trouble moving your 140g Tyler. I'd be interested, but I have my 120g that I still need to start.

Can I ask where you got your starboard? I'm going BB on the 120g. In fact, are you parting it out? I could trim down your starboard to fit if you were willing to sell.

Yeah, I'd really like to get it moving but hey what can you do. Worst case it'll sit in the basement I guess.

I got my starboard from Johnston Industrial Plastics (http://www.johnstonplastics.com/con_winnipeg.htm). It's not called "Starboard" there. Ask for HDPE (High density polyethylene), 1/2". Just tell them the dimensions you want and you're set. I paid around $50 for my piece. They also sell acrylic rods (great for joining rocks) and all that good stuff too if you ever need it.

I'd sell you mine but I installed it before I put the eurobracing on the tank, so I can't remove it without cutting off the braces. :)

A word of warning with the HDPE, it FLOATS. To help keep mine down I sanded the back of the HDPE to make it a bit rough. Then I used a good amount of silicone to "glue" it down to the bottom. I also used silicone around the edges of the board to make a small lip that holds down the HDPE. The silicone does not stick to HDPE very well at all.

Best make sure to have something weighing it down when you put in the water.

Tyler

lol, thanks for the tip.

I was thinking about sealing it down with silicone anyhow, since I don't want detritus buildup around any gaps. I have a centre brace and two megaflow overflows to cut around as well.

Going to take some precision work with my tablesaw and dremel I think!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14369970#post14369970 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WinnipegDragon
lol, thanks for the tip.

I was thinking about sealing it down with silicone anyhow, since I don't want detritus buildup around any gaps. I have a centre brace and two megaflow overflows to cut around as well.

Going to take some precision work with my tablesaw and dremel I think!

You should be able to get it in as two pieces. The HDPE cuts VERY easily. I did the big cuts with a circular saw. The cutout for the overflow I used a jigsaw, though a handsaw would've worked just as well. I think a dremel might just melt it; its REALLY soft.

Yes, definitely seal the gaps with silicone. I can't count the number of stupid cerinth snails that got stuck in there when it was unsealed (had to drain tank for a leak and reglued the HDPE at that time).

Tyler

The HDPE is very bouyant, so if you silicone it in, be sure to weigh it down with something heavy before adding water to the tank, or it will pull right out. You can wipe down some new bags of sand and lay them in the tank, or use some PVC pipe filled with sand and capped on each end as reef-safe weights. Once the water is in, cut open the bags, or add more sand before removing those weights.

Well, I was toying with the idea of getting the Solana with an Aquamedic pendent instead of the HQI disco ball. However, Marine Depot doesn't sell the tank and stand without a light. So I think in the end I'll go with the disco ball light and be done with it. Now I just need to actually get around to ordering this thing! I am thinking I'll order it tomorrow.

In the mean time my bleached rock is now soaking in saltwater in a bucket. I think I overdid it was the bleach; I could still smell the bleach when I put the rock back in saltwater. So I tested with my Hach free and total chlorine test kit and sure enough there was chlorine present in the water. So I changed out the saltwater and have a mag pump circulating water in the bucket now. We'll see if that clears out the chlorine. Once I'm relatively sure the chlorine is gone I'll throw something into the water to get the rock cycling.

Tyler

Hmm, well, I was about to order myself a Solana 34g but ended up backing out. At $800 USD, that's over $1100 CDN when you take into account exchange, and the lovely canadian sales taxes we pay for bringing stuff over the border. Factor in another $100 for parcel pickup services and gas to go pick it all up and, well its just not going to happen considering my 140g tank, 100g sump, huge skimmer and calcium reactor are NOT selling.

Still trying to figure out if there will be a "plan B".

For now the 100g sump is still running with my single damsel, and a variety of frags growing under a 250w Radium halide. Looking good so far! I'm getting some really nice deep coloration in the deepwater acro I've got.

Tyler

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14422775#post14422775 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tgunn
For now the 100g sump is still running with my single damsel, and a variety of frags growing under a 250w Radium halide. Looking good so far! I'm getting some really nice deep coloration in the deepwater acro I've got.

Tyler
Well, maybe that is the answer! ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14424503#post14424503 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by token
Well, maybe that is the answer! ;)

Hey, I'm considering it. I kinda want SOMETHING to tinker with for now... And I kinda was hoping it would look nice too (ie 6 foot sump on 2x4 stand is not "furniture grade". Lol.

Tyler

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14424526#post14424526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tgunn
...(ie 6 foot sump on 2x4 stand is not "furniture grade". Lol.

Tyler
Some would argue that anything with coral living inside is furniture grade but I know what you mean.

A way will come along to get that Solana at a price that is reasonable. Good luck!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14424587#post14424587 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by token
Some would argue that anything with coral living inside is furniture grade but I know what you mean.

A way will come along to get that Solana at a price that is reasonable. Good luck!

I may consider anything with coral living inside furniture, but I don't know if my wife would. :)

I did find an aquapod 24g HQI for a much more reasonable price available within Canada; that might be an option too. We'll see. I am convinced I must set SOMETHING up.

Tyler

Well, I FINALLY did it. I've ordered an Aquapod 24g with stand and a 150w HQI lighting system.

I found a place in Quebec that will ship to me for a reasonable price. Bummer; they stock Solanas but won't ship them.

This should at least give me SOMETHING to keep me busy for the next year or so until I'm done my Masters degree.

Now I just need to get some buddies over to help me haul the 140g into the basement.

Whee!

Tyler

Back