A Pet Shop in Kenosha - New store

johns

Premium Member
New store - A Pet Shop - Open in Kenosha on 52nd street

Carrying saltwater fish and working on coral reef setups

Havent been there yet. But probably will check it out soon. Apparently they have only been open for a couple weeks and are just getting up and running so they might still be a bit limited in stock.

I was there. Things were still new but looked like they were off to a good start.

It is the same owner as Phishy Business though (no comment, if you had been there you probably know), but I was told he is a "silent partner" and the guy that was running the pet store in Union Grove is maily running it.

We will go back to see what they have in the future.

if you know anything about phisy business, the owner is a butt head.

He lost the last fish store becuase he bet it in a poker game.

My friend used to work there.

Thanks to that guy, she does not have a job.

I drove past it last night. Its a bit ghetto, no windows and kind of creepy. I'm not going in there unless its daylight out.

I dropped past a couple time slightly after noon and Suprise Suprise not open yet.

I was going to withold judgement on his new store untill I actually got in and saw it but, Not opening on time and the area it's in I doubt I'll try again. As far as the neighborhood goes Lets just say knowing Keno. very well I'd never sent the wife there alone or go myself after dark unless I was packin

Well we dropped in tonight and I'm glad we did. 2 thumbs up.
I forget his name but the guy who had the shop in union grove was there. I had forgoten what a pleasure it was to talk with him.
Anyhow we picked up 2 show size leathers and a med sized gbta for $100. Double bagged and put in a cooler.
Looks like they have put a lot of work into the place and are planning some more.
All said, I Think I'll be dropping once a week, but I still wont let the wife go alone at night:)

I'll try to post pics of the goodies tomorrow

I'm glad someone that actually stopped over there spoke up.

I finally went there myself last Sat. And it was dark and late at night - ooohhh scarrrieee - actually they had just closed up, but Steve let me in, showed me around the new store and we chatted a while.

My impression is that yes, it's obviously true that it's not in the nicest looking neighborhood. But the store itself has a lot of potential. He doen't have a huge selection of stuff right now (a handful of softies, a couple LPS, a few anemones and clams I think) but the store itself is a nice size, has plenty of room, and as he expands the selection it could be quite nice. He had a bunch of dry goods for sale and a variety of foods. Even some foods that I have trouble finding elsewhere, like DTs Oyster Eggs.

Okay, what a dump. I realize they are pretty new but the place just looks crappy. They are using black cloth to (poorly) hide the lights and the selection of dry goods sucks. They do not carry one single HOB skimmer. I talked to the kid working there and he said I don't need a skimmer, just a fuge. Wow... The one positive thing I can say is the prices on fish are very decent. Nice coral beauty for $20.

edit~ almost forgot LR prices are $7.00/lb for anything smaller than my head. Unfortunately if you include the hair algae covering the rocks all the pieces are bigger than my head.

Rember they are just getting started.
Just think how much$$$ It take to get a shop started. I think there on the right track.
I don't know who was there when you went but ( can't rember his name) the guy from union grove is who you want to try to deal with.

Now I'm the first inline to bash any shop I'm not happy with and if things go sour over there I will. For now I'll keep dropping in.
Actually I went by the other night after my hydrometer broke but I missed closing by about 15min.

I took a couple quick pics of the leathers we grabbed last week

colt1.jpg

toad1.jpg

The gbta is hiding so I couldn't get one of him

hey everybody.

thought i might say a few things to clear up any confusions/concerns.

the location of the shop itself is marginal, the outside appearance not the greatest either, however as the warmer weather starts to come this way improvements on the exterior of the building will make the place seem a bit more inviting.

the only available parking is indeed questionable. basically you have to park behind the store in the alley, there are maybe 6 spots designated for parking. the open lot next to the building is said to become a parking lot for the store with 52nd street access

the live rock is within reasonable price compared to any other local fish store i've seen lately, especially considering that it is bali live rock, most times when price shopping for live rock, fiji or a more common variety may be more well suited.

and the mentioned rock that was covered in algae was from another hobbyist using pc's and a tetra hang on for his reef. that store had no part in growing that field of algae on those huge pieces of live rock. and that stuff actually looks pretty nice if you take a peek past that hairy mess that guy left the store. lots of coralline and little feather dusters popped out. i'll be back for a piece or two myself.

pretty sure they don't run a skimmer on that reef at the store tank looks great.

Back