A Reef in the Sky

Thanks for the dimensions Andrew :)

I see that you decided to go with ESV, its a great product and comes inexpensive. Also it comes concentrated meaning you can save on shipping weight (but you will have to dilute it yourself but thats very very easy coz it has a level indicator that you need to fill up with RO water). I used to use Kent's but ESV is cheaper and more affordable to ship. :) Ill be using ESV's 2-part calcium and their mag as well for my new tank. Glad to see that you went that way, that means I have someone to correlate with :)

Vic

More Arrival Pictures

Just as planned with a slight modification due to the height of the return pump. Undo unions and slide the sump out. Simple right?
Plumbing1.jpg

Now the real fun begins very soon!

Jst want to say, things are looking very good, job well done, sir. I do have a question though, where did you get the nice grey PVC flex tubing in your pics? I am looking for some myself.

Thanks in advance.
Matt

I also use B-Ionic for all my dosing Ca/Alk/Mg. I think it works great. I recently added a kalk stirrer but just for pH. I still rely on the B-Ionic for my tank's demands. I have always used it from the very begining.
Great to hear... looking forward to receiving it and trying it out. Glad your happy with it.

Andrew why did you choose ESV over Fauna Marin?
Hi Clint, there were a couple of reasons. Initially cost and availability. I'm still getting a solid understanding of Balling Lite...etc :fun5: and I wanted to get the Zeovit concept under control first. Also, the many good reviews and unbeatable price were an influence too. I will look into further down the track but would like to know/read some more info on it first.

Without a doubt....absolutely amazing...
Thank you firedude33

Thanks for the dimensions Andrew :)

I see that you decided to go with ESV, its a great product and comes inexpensive. Also it comes concentrated meaning you can save on shipping weight (but you will have to dilute it yourself but thats very very easy coz it has a level indicator that you need to fill up with RO water). I used to use Kent's but ESV is cheaper and more affordable to ship. :) Ill be using ESV's 2-part calcium and their mag as well for my new tank. Glad to see that you went that way, that means I have someone to correlate with :)

Vic
No problems Vic. Yeah, I am getting the 1 gallon bottles for 2Part initially to see if I'm happy. It should last me at least 2months through my initial calculations if parameters are okay. Might get the larger 5Gal ones later on. Sweet, your comparisons will help for sure.

Jst want to say, things are looking very good, job well done, sir. I do have a question though, where did you get the nice grey PVC flex tubing in your pics? I am looking for some myself.

Thanks in advance.
Matt

Hi Matt, no worries. Here is where I purchased my 3/4" & 1" flex tubing.
http://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?cart_id=5138970.21418*mA1KH1&product=Flex_PVC_By_The_Foot_Gray
Great price IMO.
Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Question:
Just a question everyone regarding E.S.V in general. As mrvicz mentioned,
you will have to dilute it yourself but thats very very easy coz it has a level indicator that you need to fill up with RO water
so would there be any problems after this moving the newly diluted mix into my custom built dosing containers instead of leaving it in the original containers? Thanks

No problem at all moving the ESV into your custom containers Andrew. You're going to love the "dosing" method compared to a CA/RX especially the higher PH value.

Question:
Just a question everyone regarding E.S.V in general. As mrvicz mentioned, so would there be any problems after this moving the newly diluted mix into my custom built dosing containers instead of leaving it in the original containers? Thanks

there will be no problem moving the new mix into another container. after some elbow grease and some arm flexing in shaking the mix, you could then move it to a new container :) the mixture actually gets hot during the shaking process :)

there will be no problem moving the new mix into another container. after some elbow grease and some arm flexing in shaking the mix, you could then move it to a new container :) the mixture actually gets hot during the shaking process :)

And if the shaking doesnt work, let it set in the original container in a bath of warm water.... checking periodically to assure it doesnt swell; I tried this with mine and it worked great.

Regards, Matt

Wow.. thanks so much for all the good ideas as I've been planning mine in sketch up that is very similar looking.
Amazing planning.

No problem at all moving the ESV into your custom containers Andrew. You're going to love the "dosing" method compared to a CA/RX especially the higher PH value.

And if the shaking doesnt work, let it set in the original container in a bath of warm water.... checking periodically to assure it doesnt swell; I tried this with mine and it worked great.

Regards, Matt

Thanks Clint, Vic and Matt. Okay... good to hear that. Looking forward to picking the items up next week.

WOW!

My favorite parts are the light lifter and the stand. Nicely designed!
Thanks...

Guys, just FYI, street view on Google Map is now available in Hong Kong, so here's the link to Fish Street in Hong Kong:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...ew1vyjX7R1itiaX5VIHHFw&cbp=12,170.77,,0,19.35

But on the other half of the street, it looks like the photos were taken really early in the morning so all the fish shops aren't opened yet.
Thanks for the link Howard. Yep, must have been taken early morning because there is no double or triple parking :lol2:

this has got to be one of the cleanest set up I ever seen. very good job

+1
:thumbsup:

Thank you guys... stay tuned for the power board setup.

Wow.. thanks so much for all the good ideas as I've been planning mine in sketch up that is very similar looking.
Amazing planning.
Your welcome

dude you are a true baller man.. well plan. i'm lovin it
lol... cheers.

Seen the tank....awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! A lot of work has gone into this.......well done Andrew!! Now hurry up and finish so you can start building mine!!! :fun4:

Let The Water Rise

The past 2 days has seen the plumbing finished and normal water added to check everything. I was nervous for a number reasons while the water level gradually rose:

1. Would there be any leaks from the tank/sump itself?
2. Would the small check valve work correctly?
3. Would the plumbing leak and work as planned?
4. Would the stand support all the weight?
5. Would the floor collapse? (not really but it did cross my mind)

I am glad to report that all went smoothly with no major problems. As always, some pictures are included. I must say that it looks sweet filled with water. (finally!)

The slow process starts
Water1.jpg

Nearly there...
Water2.jpg

The check valve did let some water through when the tank water level was low but as the height of the water grew, it all worked correctly as this picture shows. Thank goodness :spin2:
OverflowCheckValve.jpg

Success...
Flow3.jpg

Turned on the x2 6105's... Wow!!! They are powerful!
Flow1.jpg

Overflow is just how I wanted
Flow2.jpg

No gurgling sounds!! Very minimal waterfall noise too!!
OverflowLevel.jpg

Piping is a slight modification from original plans but still looks great and it is very easy to utilize the roll out sump. Minimal water noise passing through the flex tubing and TUBV's are very useful to adjust flow too.
Plumbing1-1.jpg

A sump shot showing the flow. The return pump is amazing... super quiet too.
SumpFlow1.jpg

Now its time to fine tune the flow, double check connections and program the Tunze before draining the lot and then beginning the slow process of adding RODI water.

Can you go a little faster please!

Question: What's the difference between a jet engine and an airline pilot?
Answer: A jet engine stops whining at the gate.

Hehe... in the biz myself. New York based.

I love the blue doors. .. I'll be doing a high gloss white laminate on mine.

Great Work so far.

I wouldn't be worried about the check valve. IMHO it is not necessary at all. Doesn't matter if the water equalizes between tank and overflow. In the event of a power outage it will be all limited by the height of the standpipes.

Back