A tale of two tangs.

Jscwerve

A long read, just a story I wanted to share.

I have been slowly stocking my display over the last few months. some gobys (different kinds) a pair of clowns, your boiler plate CUC, a couple of urchins, etc. Last month it was time for my first "big" fish.

Not to be one to follow conventional wisdom as so many of us do, especially in the noob section, my first larger fish was a yellow tang. The reason was that I found this guy (his name is Kevin, btw) from an LFS employee that has had him in a well established system for over two years. My logic was that being that old and not directly from the ocean, he should take to my tank like the proverbial "fish to water". It didn't really happen that way.

From the moment he got to my display he just stayed in the back of the rock work. Not horrible as I can see my tank from both sides, but I was hoping for a more roaming fish. After a day or two when he settled in, he pretty much hung out in the corner with the clownfish. No real roaming or grazing as you would expect a yellow to do. I think that Kevin believes he is a clownfish. It was almost like he had forgotten how to tang.

He had been like that for weeks, very timid, not eating too much, and barely even munching on garlic dipped nori on a clip. I was concerned, but not overly so as he was eating, just not motivated about it.

Turn the clock ahead several weeks to this last weekend. it was time for another addition. I wanted another free swimming larger fish. I've really been wanting a magnificent foxface, but they are NOWHERE to be found right now. Went to my very, scratch that, my extremely well trusted LFS to see what they had.

There he was. In all his tang beauty. A very personable, pretty, and active small naso tang. Talked with the personnel of the LFS and the owner about compatibility, tank size, etc. Watched him eat and all the other things you do before buying a fish, especially a larger one. Decided to go for it. He had been at the store for 4 weeks, and in their quarantine system treated with prazi and copper already. Did I mention that I have great trust in this LFS, especially the owner? He had said that he wouldn't hesitate putting him right into his own display (which is the most amazing tank I've ever seen BTW) if he didn't already have one in there. on that note, he was going to go directly into mine.

Got home, acclimated temperature, I tested the LFS water before I left the store and salinity already matched mine. Got him transferred into my display.

Within about 2 minutes he was traveling the tank and already grazing. This action must have snapped ol' Kevin out of thinking he was a clownfish. He started following the naso around like a puppy dog or an annoying kid brother. There was a little butt slappage when the naso went into Kevin's corner/cave, but they naso got the hint and is actually kind of indifferent to the yellow.

Several days have passed now. The two tangs are thick as thieves. The yellow is now grazing on rock and never had before. The naso was a natural the second he got into the tank. they follow each other around the tank like old buddies. When one stops to graze on something, the other follows suit right next to it. It is really cool to watch. There isn't any aggression except for when the naso goes into Kevin's cave, and then he doesn't tail slap him as much as kind of push him a little.

Long story short, I'm overjoyed at my new tank addition and for some strange reason I had a tang that didn't know how to act like a tang until another came along. It's funny how things work out sometimes. Just wanted to share.

Disclaimer for the Tang Advocacy Group: Yes, I do know how large a Naso can get. If and when he grows up to a point that he is too large for my system he will be rehomed. At this point he is still small, and they two are housed in a 72" long tank with lots of cave work and open swimming space. They are fine for now.

tangs are not solitary fish and imo your story is more typical than not. however, trusted or not, i would still qt. how is your LFS using prazi? it's expensive and is not effective for very long.

I believe in QT as well. I also trust the individual who owns this particular store more than any other. I would not place a fish into my display from anywhere else, ever. The knowledge, experience, impeccable appearance, care for the livestock, as well as the reputation of this store is well known locally. I know a lot of people who absolutely will not purchase anything from anywhere but here. Not bad for a place that is only open to the public 2 days a week.

It was not with lightheartedness or lack of preparation that I added the fish. I actually had a 40b QT already set up just for the one new addition so I didn't have to add it to my QT that is already running with some others. It was a risk, yes, but a very calculated one.

On a lighter note, I'm glad that my experience isn't a unique one. I had just never read about tangs being anything but big hams in the tank. Maybe with more time the yellow would have found his own way, but I'm glad the switch turned on with the new addition.

I know the store that you speak of and have spent THOUSANDS of dollars there. That being said, I have had my fair share of fish from them that had ich, and a few that did not survive the treatment. I also thought that I could trust the fish from him and put them directly into my tank. Let me say that I will NEVER do that again.

I am still battling an outbreak that began with fish from Chris. It is not cost effective for ANY LFS to properly QT and treat the fish in their care. This includes your favorite LFS (it is mine too).

I know the store that you speak of and have spent THOUSANDS of dollars there. That being said, I have had my fair share of fish from them that had ich, and a few that did not survive the treatment. I also thought that I could trust the fish from him and put them directly into my tank. Let me say that I will NEVER do that again.

I am still battling an outbreak that began with fish from Chris. It is not cost effective for ANY LFS to properly QT and treat the fish in their care. This includes your favorite LFS (it is mine too).

On a side note, this goes for corals as well. I had stocked my entire system with corals purchased at the same LFS. Not one thing came from another source, and I ended up with a red bug infestation that wiped out several colonies before we caught it and treated the tank.

On a side note, this goes for corals as well. I had stocked my entire system with corals purchased at the same LFS. Not one thing came from another source, and I ended up with a red bug infestation that wiped out several colonies before we caught it and treated the tank.

You are correct in what store it is from.

Like I said in previous posts, I do believe in quarantine. I've QTd everything else from there I have ever bought, and will do so in the future. Chris had an exact history of this particular fish and what treatments it has received recently. I do trust him to the point of him not willing to lose a customer over a $45 dollar fish when I've many times walked out of there spending hundreds of dollars. Not to mention equipment, salt, food, etc that I will purchase in the future. When he said he would have no issue in putting this guy into the big display (the awesome one when you walk into the store), I do believe him.

I haven't had any coral troubles. I dip all of mine though and have seen bugs come out of frags from every store I've ever purchased from.

Geez, talk about getting a forum beatdown! :hammer: Like there aren't hundreds of people on this very forum that don't even have a QT setup.

I just wanted to share the story of tang behavior, guess I should have left out the tidbit about it going directly in. :wildone:

Not meant as a beatdown. :D Just trying to illustrate the problem with trusting a LFS.

As for your story, I have found that Naso tangs are generally one of the friendliest tangs. Mine gets along with everything and is not afraid of anything. He is like a puppy dog and comes to the glass anytime you are in the room. I know it is just because he thinks I am going to feed, but still he is a TOTALLY chill fish.

Noob here, loved your story. At this point I still don't have my tank, but sounds like Tangs are a good choice to start, at least I hope so. Would love to see a pair of tangs in my tank hanging out. While diving, you rarely ever see angelfish solitary - the are almost ALWAYS in a pair, and if I remember right, they mate for life. Anyway, great story.

Noob here, loved your story. At this point I still don't have my tank, but sounds like Tangs are a good choice to start, at least I hope so. Would love to see a pair of tangs in my tank hanging out. While diving, you rarely ever see angelfish solitary - the are almost ALWAYS in a pair, and if I remember right, they mate for life. Anyway, great story.

No tangs are not fish you start out with. Add some easier fish before you venture into Tang land and make sure your able to keep fish alive and healthy and an aquarium properly. Tangs are NOTORIOUS for having diseases and dying suddenly when not properly transferred / cared for etc.

OP. Great story.

No tangs are not fish you start out with. Add some easier fish before you venture into Tang land and make sure your able to keep fish alive and healthy and an aquarium properly. Tangs are NOTORIOUS for having diseases and dying suddenly when not properly transferred / cared for etc.

OP. Great story.

Thanks!

Everything you said is absolutely true.

Quick update, they are quite the pair and I couldn't be happier with them now. I know it's only been a few days, but no problems so far.

I've been feeding LRS herbivore frenzy mixed with Rods food (for the clowns and other inhabitants) and these guys are the biggest pigs in the tank! I'll actually feed these guys with the powerheads on first and then after a couple minutes put them into feeding mode so that I can drop some food on the bottom for the gobys and others.

They also love some sushinori! I think I took this right before that ****ing urchin in the corner stung me the other day.

20160425_192956_zpsi6l5yivw.jpg

Back