AC jr. vs. reefkeeper 2?

plugpitch

Anyone have any thoughts of these two controllers: aquacontroller jr. and reefkeeper2? I was looking for something that would control my calcium reactor. How does the controller turn on or off the calcium reactor?

the reactor will always be running. These units control the pH swings of the tank. If the pH in the main display hits to low of a level, it will turn the C02 off at the regulator. If the pH is at a high level or above where the set point is, the C02 will remain on and thus disolving the media in your reactor. There should also be another probe so that you can measure the effluent that is inside the reactor ( this should be set at like 5.3 i believe it is to disolve the aragonite media )

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6892874#post6892874 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by plugpitch
is there a valve or something that comes with the controller to stop the flow of CO2?
Actually you would plug your solenoid for your co2 regulator into the controller. The controller will turn the co2 on and off through the solenoid.
If you just want something for your reactor, you could just get a pH controller.

These type of controllers can control temp, lights, C02, and whatever else you want to throw at it. just a pH controller is 189.

Tagging along, I'm considering the two also. Other then using X10 and data log is there any other diff between the two? I notice the AC jr price has just dropped to compete with the RK 2.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6892920#post6892920 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SirLight1337

just a pH controller is 189.
The reefkeeper 2 is only $270. Lots of features for the money.
I preoordered mine a few weeks back. I understand they are shipping this week!

i was saying that just the pH controller say the American Marine one is $189 dollars. Then you would still need another pH monitor to stick in the reactor. ( another $89 ) Id say one of these reefkeeper or aqua controllers is your best bet.

Just compare the features of each to see which one you prefer. Backlit, not backlit, how many probes can be connected to it, or devices run on it etc..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6892980#post6892980 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raskal311
. Other then using X10 and data log is there any other diff between the two? I notice the AC jr price has just dropped to compete with the RK 2.
I like the blue display on the RK2!

I just picked up the backlit ACjr with pH probe and the DC8 for $280 thru the premium aquatics group buy....hooking it up tonight

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6893126#post6893126 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SirLight1337
i was saying that just the pH controller say the American Marine one is $189 dollars. Then you would still need another pH monitor to stick in the reactor. ( another $89 ) Id say one of these reefkeeper or aqua controllers is your best bet.

Just compare the features of each to see which one you prefer. Backlit, not backlit, how many probes can be connected to it, or devices run on it etc..

A controller would also monitor you dont need both. You can get a new Milwaukee SMS122 pH Controller for under $85 shipped on ebay.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6893569#post6893569 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by plugpitch
well i also wanted the controller to take care of my metal halides.
In that case go for a full blown controller. I went with the Aqua Controller ACII, primarily because I'm kinda a computer geek and wanted the option to monitor/control via software. Not familiar with the RK2 but I don't think the AC Jr has a software option either. Weigh all your options and needs since many of these controllers will have certain limits or unecessary options. I can only vouch for the AC products since Neptune has provided some of the best service I've ever received. The real plus I saw in the RK2 is the included relay powerstrip as opposed to X10 modules. While I use X10 they can be a PITA if using multiple house circuits or certain devices. The up side to X10 is you can add as many as you want (I run 10).

raskal, the controller monitors the pH high and pH low. For this to actuall work, you would need to plug the solenoid into the controller and have the probe in the sump. You still need a probe in the reactor to see what your effluent is reading and adjust acordingly.

Its really just a safe guard so you dont nuke your tank by dropping the pH from adding to much C02. You could also hook the controller up so a kalk reactor kicks on if the pH gets to low if you so desire. But there is only 1 probe plug on the american marine. cant monitor 2 things at once.

ohh I didn't know that people monitor ph in the reactor. Most people only use a controller with the probe in the sump. The controller will only shut off the CO2 reg if the PH in the tank itself is off. Does either the RC2 or Aquacontroller Jr. has the option for two PH probe?

I have a Korallin C1502 reactor how would one put a probe inside of it in the first place? If your only checking the PH of the effluent couldn't you just collect a small cup of it and test it with your PH controller when needed?

you could do it that way too if you so desired.

Most reactors come with a fitting to allow you to stick the probe in the top of it. Guess the Korallins dont, o well.

Im not sure how often you would have to recalibrate the probe going from one extreme to another all the time very quickly. it would also cause your controller to kick on and off about 10 times my guess. lol.

Back