Advise wanted on skimmer or algae scrubber

lite_rider

So just took the plunge and upgraded from a 75 gallon reef to a 240 gallon and I'm looking for suggestions on a good skimmer that won't break the bank. My sump is a 100 gallon stock tank that runs at 1/2 full for a total water volume of 300 or so. This will mainly be a LPS tank with just a few fish. Its currently in its first week of cycling and has all kinds of nasty brown algae / cyano growing on rocks and sand. No corals yet just 5 small starter fish for bio load. It has T5's for lighting but my plan is to use natural sun lighting via Solatubes to light the tank later this year.

My question is should I purchase a skimmer or build/buy an algae scrubber.

I have always been a skimmer fan, I see benefits in scrubber but still love what a skimmer can do to remove all kinds of stuff

-as far as won't break the bank IMHO there is enough brands/models out there that unfortunately you kind of get what you pay for, what about looking for a good used one, someone is always upgrading in this hobby

-I have a Reef Dynamics on my 120 and doing a 330 right now and going to Reef Octopus

Do both. They filter in different ways. Also the skimmer should be sized to your display, not total volume. Unless you have fish in your sump. What fish do you plan on having eventually?

Do both. They filter in different ways. Also the skimmer should be sized to your display, not total volume. Unless you have fish in your sump. What fish do you plan on having eventually?

+1

Skimmer first and foremost and if you still have nutrient issues, then add an ATS. The skimmer does more than just remove DOC's. It can also be an important source for dissolved o2. I personally would never run a reef or salt water tank without a good skimmer.

Not to boost another web site but ebay is where i bought my mrc-6 1000 dollar skimmer for 400 just keep your eye out for a good skimmer buying a nock off cheep one is just gunna cost you more in the long run thats my two cents lol

I think everyone here is giving you correct advise, shocker444 is correct about used ones and cheap ones, do your homework and post on RC, there is some really good and smart guys on here

I run both a large external skimmer on my 265 and a DiY scrubber. I don't think it matters all that much which one you do first, other than I'd not want to run a reef tank for very long without a skimmer. Skimmer removes organics before they can break down into nitrates and phosphates; scrubber binds up all the nutrients the skimmer misses (about 70% of them).

I would invest in a good protein skimmer and build a salt water exchange system. Algae scrubbers sound like a good idea, but the math is all off, you would need a couple 4ftx12ft saltwater artificial grow beds (growing who knows what) to remove any decent amount of nitrates from a 240 gallon system.

I would invest in a good protein skimmer and build a salt water exchange system. Algae scrubbers sound like a good idea, but the math is all off, you would need a couple 4ftx12ft saltwater artificial grow beds (growing who knows what) to remove any decent amount of nitrates from a 240 gallon system.

You obviously haven't ever looked into algae turf scrubbers. My properly sized scrubber for my 300g is 6 inches by 14 inches. It could be smaller if it were lit on both sides.

Directly from the updated sizing requirements in the ats thread... "You need 12 square inches of screen illuminated on BOTH SIDES with a total of 12 watts of fluorescent light for 18 hours/day for each cube-equivalent fed into the system per day...Vertical, lit from only one side: 24 square inches of screen material per cube of food per day, 12 watts of light on one side."

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19901315&postcount=3255

You obviously haven't ever looked into algae turf scrubbers. My properly sized scrubber for my 300g is 6 inches by 14 inches. It could be smaller if it were lit on both sides.

Directly from the updated sizing requirements in the ats thread... "You need 12 square inches of screen illuminated on BOTH SIDES with a total of 12 watts of fluorescent light for 18 hours/day for each cube-equivalent fed into the system per day...Vertical, lit from only one side: 24 square inches of screen material per cube of food per day, 12 watts of light on one side."

He may have been referring to if he did not add a protein skimmer and just ran a scrubber(s). I agree though, a small scrubber the size of yours is a great supplement even for a large tank.

That may be, although if you only ran a scrubber, it would still not need to be anywhere near the size he mentioned. Mine is slightly undersized due to my large skimmer, but not much. I'll actually be pulling my ATS offline soon when my denitrator kicks in, so I'll get to see how much good it's actually doing.

I followed the sizing guidelines offered in the ATS thread, and my observations are that it seems about right. But, I don't now recall (will have to go look) how those sizes were arrived at beyond simple trial and error.

Not so, I have looked at them in depth and I am building a commercial scale aquaponics system on my farm. Now admittedly, there are differences :) , but it takes a lot of plants (or algae) to take up nitrate and phosphate produced by feeding even a relatively small number of fish. I am not saying they wouldn't be beneficial, but definitely not alone. If you have a protein skimmer, water exchange, etc.etc, then I see no reason not to add one. I would not have it used as my only means removing these items.

I currently use an oversized skimmer and an ATS on my large tank. I agree with others and have always viewed my skimmer as the 1st item in a variety of things used for nutrient export. I also regularly run GFO & Carbon. I view my ATS as a replacement for a refugium as it takes up much less space. Its also nice that I can use the algae to feed some of my herbivores.

My own preference is moderation...

My own preference is moderation...

I run a skimmer, RDSB, a small but efficient ATS, GFO, and carbon. My water parameters are as stable as a rock with 2-part dosers and water changes. IMO, redundant systems are never a bad thing. With my old 55 gallon I was forever battling nitrate and phosphate...and losing. I did research, read every thread in the forums about new set-ups, how-to's, and asked questions. With my nitrates at .2 ppm every week for the past 6 months on my 120 gallon DT and basement sump, I can honestly say: When you take the time to set it up right from the beginning, reef keeping gets a lot easier.

Run your ATS, but don't rely on it as your sole filtration. A variety of methods will prevent catastrophe and is the spice of reef keeping...šŸ˜œ:beer:

Back