AEFW vanished?

MammothReefer

Anybody here have there AEFW just vanish? Because I think mine did and I can't figure out why. Possible tank instability? Wrasses?

--back story---
I ended up finding them in my tank sometime in april.. Dipping after dip, all that fun still ended up with them. My reaction was a knee jerk dipped a bunch of stuff, lost some things. Then I went for the "blast approach" at first it seemed I was still loosing the battle, and I was still ****ing things off by disturbing so much and blasting so much. Then I took the. "dammit I'm sick of this crap", I got frustrated, and bought a WAY to many wrasses, and I still blasted but not as much and less "grabbing every piece tossing it in front of my mp40 with one hand and blasting it with the other, more just randomly blasting stuff w/turkey baster. (The maxjet deal wasn't working and was stripping more corals and knocking everything over).

However they still persisted.. finally I got fed up, summer was in full swing and I really got distracted with life..and well neglected my tank a bit, a bad judgment call (or test kit) at some point caused me to over dose my mag. (Went up to over 1800), and some frustrating alk swings due discrepancies in test kits (new elos didn't match old elos, and salifert didn't match either...) . I also really cut back on feeding during this time.

Over the course of the next couple months I realized my montis were struggling and it wasn't just a random acro having a hard time while others were thriving that I could blane on the AEFW as I had over the past couple months. I tested and found the culprit (my mag was insanely high), this brought me back around to starting to pay more attention to my tank.. I got back on top of things and things are finally humming along good again, minus some alk issues I'm working on right now that just require more time then I'd like to spend but aren't having a negative effect on the tank.

Now it's 5-6 months out since I initially noticed the problem, and I can't recall the last time I checked and was able to find a AEFW, and now that I think about it I had Red Flat Worms to and they are all gone.

That has got me thinking.. What actually killed them off in my tank? Could it be the High Mag, the unstable alk swings, or just the army of starving wrasses?

What are your thoughts?

Ya, the same thing happened to me Stanley, I finally gave up for the most part.. and that's when things fell a part w/the tank.. ha.. only when I noticed stuff that shouldn't be dying was dying. That I started paying attention to my tank again and noticed 1) my out of wack water parameters, and 2) that I couldn't find anymore nudis. I wouldn't recommend anybody spiking mag though it took it's tool I lost about half my montis, and damaged some LPS, and a few birds-nests which are slowly (painfully) recovering. I also lost a few frags acro frags that I really should have lost due to there normal hardiness.

I have had my mag at very high levels and never had anything negative happen. Had my mag as high as 2000ppm for at least 2 months. Let it come down on it's own over time. Still have the bastards....

every time I go weeks without seeing them I baste and......they're still there
lol.. the truth. U need to just start dipping. I dipped all my crap for 10 weeks lost a few things but made sure they are not there. Hawkins made it until the last dip.. it was fairly hardy for the dips.

I raised my mag to kill some bryopsis and it didn't affect the amount of aefw I had or anything. I would put the money on the hungry wrasses. And I hope that they are all gone because I thought mine were gone for 4 months, and a month after an interceptor treatment I saw they came back so I am on week 5 of eight total dips that I have planned.

I'm sure all he is saying is he is giving a time frame... im sure he knows that interceptor is not for aefw... or at least i hope so ;) lol

Yea it was a red bug treatment I did. Pretty sure I have the kind of aefw that aren't too agressive. Kinda odd they started out only on the validia and after I thought I had them beat and I noticed them again they were going for the millies. Who knows they could have been reintroduced somehow.

Hmm, I don't know about the dip everything thing. It didn't work for me. I'm the blast camp if I hadn't had them vanish on me.. although that was annoying and frustrating to. I guess I'm in the "fish are cheaper then acro camp, so pack your tank full of ugly cheap wrasses" I think it's a camp of one.

I baste daily. The fish have associated the baster as a food device. I feed my fish once a week so they eat anything that comes off the corals. I have observed all my fish eating them at one time or another. My Bangaii really go for them.

I am moving soon and will quarantine everything before moving into my Frag system.

hmmm. I keep blasting and haven't seen one since.It's a frustrating battle and I do hope it's over. I was pretty much ready to just write it all off.. I had it in the past with my old systems and was really trying to be careful with this new setup. Nothing worse then busting your hump to keep all your params on par only to have some pest eat all your effort away.

mine wiped out my tank the only way I got rid of them this summer was having no corals in the tank they where all dead but the fish are ok..hope you have won this battle could use a Win in this fight category enough losses to date...good luck

Good thing I decided to keep up on the basting.. Found some last nite, when I decided to move an acro and noticed some damage on a side that wasn't easily visible. Went over the tank with an mj1200 today..found a few more. Only 4-6 max that I could tell..but since I hadn't blasted in a while there was a lot of debris in the tank so I'm sure I didn't spot them all. Guess the war isn't over just yet. Not sure if this thread jinxed me or saved me (ie found them again before it was to late)

Back