AI Hydra Settings Thread

Hey guys, I really need some help!!

I have just bought a couple of Hydra 52 HD's. I just need to know how I can program and start and a stop cycle, say the lights go on at 8am and turn off at 5pm? Using the myai app on iPhone 5s.

I tried using the easy setting, I specified a sunrise and sunset time but the lights still won't turn off. And yes, I clicked to save the settings. I had to go to manual mode and zero everything out.

I am so sorry, I've been trying but no matter what I do the lights do not shut off. There are no instructions anywhere... Thanks!!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I really need some help!!

I have just bought a couple of Hydra 52 HD's. I just need to know how I can program and start and a stop cycle, say the lights go on at 8am and turn off at 5pm? Using the myai app on iPhone 5s.

I tried using the easy setting, I specified a sunrise and sunset time but the lights still won't turn off. And yes, I clicked to save the settings. I had to go to manual mode and zero everything out.

I am so sorry, I've been trying but no matter what I do the lights do not shut off. There are no instructions anywhere... Thanks!!
Manual mode. For tutorial purpose, let say 7am: Lights on at certain percentage. Move slide bar to 7:00 AM, click on + will bring to next screen with all the colors, where you can control intensity. Once colors intensity have been chosen, click on check mark, mean setting save, for 7:00 AM. Next, let say light increase at 10:00AM, repeat step for 7:00AM. And so on until you want the lights off, then everything zero. Hope this help.
73f15c1522d55520cb574e6d7a29ac20.jpg

4f6d694262f2484155d17596143c855c.jpg

0dd1e1bbede61c3fc3c8706ff25a1c3b.jpg

4c8c24b633edbc6dde9eda06d808aba6.jpg

Hi again,

For some reason, I am having a lot of trouble connecting the hydra 52 hd to my home network. I tried everything, including buying one of those $200 dual band routers. Everything is fine up to where you click on the upper right corner (on computer) and tell it to connect to the home network . Then, the green light starts to flash which means it is attempting to connect but it never does. It sees my network, but it times out.

I also tried resetting the lights to their factory settings, AND to the network settings. Rebooting the computer, phone app, phone. Tried doing it from both iPhone and computer. Tried killing all the wireless devices in my house to just leave the computer or phone, the lights and router on. Reset the router. Everything I could think of.

I can also connect to the parent via the .local browser address and control the parent from there, but cannot get it to do the final step and connect to the home network.

I have 2 ea 52's. the child gets the steady blue which means it is successfully connected to the home network, but the parent doesn't. I tried switching between them so the other one is the parent and the exact same thing happens. I hate these things, there is absolutely zero documentation and even if the support people are nice they are not there for you always.

Does anybody know, when the little manual with the color codes says that a solid blue led light means "Child successfully connected to a home network" does that mean that the child is ACTUALLY connected to the home router? Or is it just connected to the parent? It's confusing and this would actually help troubleshoot many problems.

If anyone know if i missed anything please help me out with this.

Last edited:
This is my current setting but at 50% acclimatisation.

Noticing cyano starting to develop

Should I turn off lunar mode and send my tank into darkness at night for a while?

I have ample flow in my tank.

Only started since switching to this light.

a00edbf5aa784fdab3a5ac4113e961a2.jpg

Buller Buller Buller???

What kind of settings are folks running on the new hydra HD? I have a 24x24x30 tank that I am running a single 26 HD over, I plan to add a second light in the future for more coverage...

To my eye the best looking settings are about 70% blues and UV 50% whites 30% green a little red... is that too high to start out with even on my deep tank? I only have one rock that is in the upper 1/3 of the tank and its off to the side.... any thoughts on settings??

Anyone know how to control multiple hydra 52hd? Can't seem to find much info.

I have them set up on myai, but I can't switch from parent to child.

Thanks

Anyone know how to control multiple hydra 52hd? Can't seem to find much info.

I have them set up on myai, but I can't switch from parent to child.

Thanks

There is no information period. It's mind boggling how such a successful company like AI can leave their customers stranded with no guidelines to follow, no 24 hour support when they charge so much for these lights AND when there is livestock depending on it AND when there is retarded wireless technology involved which we all know can be unstable if not perfectly configured.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you want to be able to control either the parent or child separately? If that's the case, I don't think it's possible. Once you set up your network, the parent will pass on the settings to the child.

If you want to make the child parent and vice versa, that is possible.

I totally agree... the wireless on my new Hydra HD is wacky... phone won't work, works some on tablet.. I called but I'm not at home with the light when they are open... I'm dissapointed in the myai experience so far...

Connection timeout on my phone each time... and my light constantly blinks on the side blue and green i think.. all night even when off.. is that right?

I totally agree... the wireless on my new Hydra HD is wacky... phone won't work, works some on tablet.. I called but I'm not at home with the light when they are open... I'm dissapointed in the myai experience so far...

Connection timeout on my phone each time... and my light constantly blinks on the side blue and green i think.. all night even when off.. is that right?

It shouldn't blink, that means it's in an unconfigured state. I had the same problem and narrowed it down to a potentially unsupported router which all my devices work fine with except for the lights.

You will need to reset it to either factory or network settings and configure it again.

Buller Buller Buller???

haha, that's a good one!

On a more serious note: I would not blame the cyano on the lights entirely. I don't know the size of your tank, but I think your lights are too bright at 35 white. I have mine at 7max and my corals are doing great. Is your cyano on the sand bed?

Hi I've had my hydra52hd for 3 days now..I have a ?..why is it very time I log out of mya the settings change back to factory or guessing it is..even after I save it?..any help or idea please..

haha, that's a good one!

On a more serious note: I would not blame the cyano on the lights entirely. I don't know the size of your tank, but I think your lights are too bright at 35 white. I have mine at 7max and my corals are doing great. Is your cyano on the sand bed?

Yes cyano is on the sand bet only. It's a 2ft cube so flow is not the issue here.

Will try reducing the whites and see if that helps.

It won't get rid of it. Here is what I did:

-turned the lights completely off for 72 hours
-turned the lights back on. The cyano came back, slower than before, probably 3 weeks
-repeated. I then dimmed them considerably, bought a fighting conch and a diamond goby to turn over the substrate and I've been cyano free for 6 months now.
-I pointed the powerbeads so that the flow reaches the bottom too. I had it way at the top.

In my opinion, your greens, violets and blues are also way too high. Keep in mind this is a very potent light. I'd scale down the blues to no more than 45, violet at 19 and keep the greens at 10 max, maybe lower while you're trying to get rid of cyano. Greens are too close to whites, it can give out a bright light.

Last edited:
Yes cyano is on the sand bet only. It's a 2ft cube so flow is not the issue here.

Will try reducing the whites and see if that helps.

Not a light issues, you need more flow or better distribution. I have developed small patches of cyano recently due to my tank growing in. Going to add a gyre 130 to see if that will get the dead spots. Your total amount of flow is useless if it is not getting every where with sufficient velocity to keep things moving.

I have a 2 ft cube also with over 50 x's total turn over and still get areas that are flow shaded. Two MP10's at 100% (3,000 gph) plus the return pump (~400 gph) is just not getting the water moving all over.

I run 2 hydra52's with everything at 100% but white which is at 65%. Green, red, UV and violet are almost non-contributors to the power. They are just there for flavor. Keep in mind the channels are not equally powered. If you run all the channels at the same level those 4 channels account for only about 10% of the total power and about 13% of the total Par together.

Last edited:
Back