AI Hydra Settings Thread

i tried to change the light schedule to more blues and less white while just rock and sand cycling and it worked but not quite. its very confusing to me, app. :sad2:

Hello,

I am setting up a new 24"x24"x24" cube, will one hydr 26 hd be sufficient to keep soft and lps coral?

Thanks
I have exact tank dimension and use one 26hd. I keep zoas, xenia, anemone. Everythings open up and healthy. In my opinion one 26hd is sufficient for soft and lps, in term of cost.

Hey guys just looking for some opinions and/or suggestions. Most of my tank stats are in my sig, anyways what are your thoughts on my settings...

Three Standard Hydras, 8.5"AWL(all I have to leave for airflow), using Apex module.

Moon(db1%) to Day - 11:55am-12pm - 1% - 1%
2hr ramp up - 12pm-2pm - 1% -100%
5hr Day time - 2pm-7pm - 100%
2hr ramp down - 7pm-9pm - 100% - 1%
Day to Moon(db1%) - 9pm-9:05pm - 1% - 1%

Day Set Points
W - 20
UV - 50
V - 85
Blues - 85
G - 10
R - 10

Would you make any changes? Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:
76097282ae957b2fde39fd86871488fe.jpg

Hey everyone,
On the fence on buying a Hydra 26HD, just read this entire thread.
I have my 75 gal(48x18x21) cycling right now, and I want to keep some of the easier SPS corals.. I understand I would require two. Would two 26's be enough to keep most SPS if they were at the top? Thanks :)

Hey everyone,
On the fence on buying a Hydra 26HD, just read this entire thread.
I have my 75 gal(48x18x21) cycling right now, and I want to keep some of the easier SPS corals.. I understand I would require two. Would two 26's be enough to keep most SPS if they were at the top? Thanks :)
Yes, without question. Great lights and perfect for 75g

Yes, without question. Great lights and perfect for 75g

That's what I've been hearing :)
Already screenshotted a bunch of stuff from this thread
I understand there will be shadowing, but will I be able to keep acros with this light if they are kept high up?

That's what I've been hearing :)
Already screenshotted a bunch of stuff from this thread
I understand there will be shadowing, but will I be able to keep acros with this light if they are kept high up?
Yes, you will be able to. Even halfway up for acros. I have many varieties and don't run the Hydras past 65% intensity and they grow perfect! My favorite light and the best price of all major brands

Important to show color temperature AND intensity.

Hey guys just looking for some opinions and/or suggestions. Most of my tank stats are in my sig, anyways what are your thoughts on my settings...

Three Standard Hydras, 8.5"AWL(all I have to leave for airflow), using Apex module.

Moon(db2%) to Day - 11:55am-12pm
2hr ramp up - 12pm-2pm - 1% -100%
5hr Day time - 2pm-7pm - 100%
2hr ramp down - 7pm-9pm - 100% - 1%
Day to Moon(db2%) - 9pm-9:05pm

Day Set Points
W - 20
UV - 50
V - 85
Blues - 85
G - 10
R - 10

Would you make any changes? Thoughts?

Thanks

See attached for screenshot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi All,

I just moved my tank into a Red Sea Reefer 250 and I have 3x Hydra (Originals Non HD Non 52/26) and was wondering what settings I should be using for SPS growth? I will be mainly focusing on growth over colour around 14k is my preferred colour temp. I have them mounted at 18" above the water but they only deliver 40 PAR at the bottom of the tank with them mounted so high. So I ordered a classic mounting kit to move them just above the water and I can then run 3 every 12" in parallel instead of 2 mounted side by side. Ideally I want to get about 200~ PAR from what I've read is the ideal amount for most SPS. I used my Seneye to read the PAR (not sure how accurate but it was cheap enough). I have a few LPS that I want to keep down the bottom as well. I will be getting a Apex in the coming months but at the moment I'm using the New Controller.

New Xmas Hydra 26 HD lights

New Xmas Hydra 26 HD lights

I got 4 of these for christmas for my 110G. They definetly surpassed my expectations. I previously had gen1 LED lights from SMGSLLC (no longer in business I think). My previous lights only had whites and royal blue; sad I know!! These new hydra 26 HD's are stunning, the colors in the LPS really come alive and I like being able to pick any color spectrum and intensity. I dont have it all figured out yet but I am reading about other peoples settings and trying different ones trying to find a good balance.

Set up was easy once I calmed down and read the instructions and thought about it for a while. I agree that the documentation could be better but it is a pretty smart design.

Setup notes for others:

When setting up multiple lights, power up each light ONE AT A TIME and follow the instructions on the provided card. Set up each light as its own parent first. I found it easier to setup with the computer instead of the app on the ipad or iPhone (these did not work for me). I initially powered them all up and setup one as the Parent and the other 3 as the children. A day later I found that they were not quite synced and further investigation showed that two were on different time zones. I reset all of them and started over setting up each one individually so that I could set the proper time zone on each and once all 4 were set up, I assigned one as the Parent and connected the other 3 as children to the one parent. This is just my opinion based on my own experience and what worked for me.

I am curious though, what happens if the network goes down? Does the schedule still work? Will the lights 'remember' the schedule without the network?

OK I'll play........

Received my first Hydra 26 HD the other day. As everyone else stated, there were no instructions on how to use the light efficiently, except for connecting it to your computer/cell phone.

So, At the moment, I have FOWLR. In time, I will have soft corals.

Since I only have fish in my very new salt water tank, what color setting should I use? I know fish don't really give two shakes about lighting, but I also want it to be visually appealing. I thought of doing all whites till corals come in the picture but I am not sure what that will do to the algae growth if anything.

Since there are no coral, does the lighting levels really matter at this point?

I'm running on one leg, so to speak. I will have three of these on my tank when done, but for now I have one just to add some light. Looks funny, but will have two more hydra 26's later.

I did notice that after I hooked the light up, with the surface water movement I have, there is a disco ball/shimmering effect that I see on the sand. Is there a way to have that disappear or become less annoying, or is that something I have to live with?

You can't see the shimmering effect, but here is a quick picture of what I have right now.

Would you recommend a specific color setting this early in the game?

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/...nk lights/IMG_20160106_145021_zpsh7a6l7hp.jpg

and

http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/... lights/image-20160105_230956_zpszppa2aem.jpg

You'll love the light! Until you have coral, what setting you have it on will only really matter for algea growth. The lower the K value, or white, the more algea growth you'll possibly see. Higher k, or blue, will help inhibit algea growth.

Shimmer effect is unavoidable with LEDs. You can reduce surface water agitation by adjusting power heads but that's about it.

You'll love the light! What setting you have it on will matter for algea growth. The lower the K value, or white, the more algea growth you'll possibly see. Higher k, or blue, will help inhibit algea growth.

Shimmer effect is unavoidable with LEDs. You can reduce surface water agitation by adjusting power heads but that's about it.

I thought about adjusting the power head direction but I also don't wanna have any dead spots at the surface. I'll play with that though.

So at this stage, what algae should I be hoping to grow or begin growing?

"algae" makes me nervous, unless it's good of course

Back