AI Light Settings on Different Tanks

Reefer94

Humor me here, if you will... While there are a ton of dedicated AI "SOL" and "Vega" threads, I thought this might be helpful. There is a large group who have fried a lot of livestock trying to dial these things in. There is no handy chart to show others with your particular tank size and depth have done. I seek to try to make said chart.

Let's not talk about individual timers, product features, likes/dislikes etc, but rather tank dimensions and cumulative power % people have successfully used, as well as length of acclimation periods. I think a resource like this might be nice. For example:

Total Tank Dimension: Just like it sounds, total dimensions of tank including depth
Inhabitants: Brief explanation of your livestock (no need to list everything)
AI Fixture Used: Your AI fixture
Number of Fixtures: How many lights you have
AWL: Height of your light above water level
Average Daytime Individual Intensity: Individual intensity setting for the majority of the day, can be an average of your settings
Total Cumulative Daytime Intensity: Total of individual settings - add the percentages for an idea of total power
Maximum Individual % Intensity at peak: Peak individual settings during "high noon" or peak hours
Total Cumulative % at Maximum Intensity: Total of peak individual setting
Total Length of Photoperiod: Obvious
Total Time at Maximum Intensity: Total time your lights "peak"
Total acclimation period: Brief explanation of your acclimation phase

So, you'd essentially copy and paste the template and enter your information like so:

Total Tank Dimension: 20 gallon, 24x12x16
Inhabitants:SPS, LPS, Zoas
AI Fixture Used: AI SOL
Number of Fixtures: 1
AWL: 11"
Average Daytime Individual Intensity: 30% W, 45% B, 55% RB
Total Cumulative Daytime Intensity: 130 (total numbers added together)
Maximum Individual % Intensity at peak: 35% W, 45% B, 65% RB
Total Cumulative % at Maximum Intensity: 145 (total % numbers added together)
Total Length of Photoperiod: 10 hours
Total Time at Maximum Intensity: 2 hours
Total acclimation period: One month, adjusting by 5% each week until these maximum settings.

The above would illustrate quickly and easily that I have a 20g tank (16" deep) with SOL 11" AWL. My average intensity is 130 for 10 hours, with a two-hour peak at 145. Mostly RB. Took a month to acclimate in 5% increments. Anyone with a similar depth could use this as a jump-off point. Easy?

If anyone is interested in cataloging this for other reefers, please do, but let's keep the conversation related to specific AI product settings and use. Please don't sidetrack or clutter the thread with opinions on LEDs and the like. If you want to extensively engage someone regarding their set-up, attempt to use the PM system to keep the thread clear.

I'll attempt to compile average settings by tank size/depth at some point in the future for a quick reference. If you think of anything that can be added, or removed from the "stat" list, please chime in. I appreciate input from Vega owners, but 20 channels is a LOT to list out - is there a better option for you to catalog?

Last edited:
Total Tank Dimension: 30g 23.5 x 19.5 x 16.5
Inhabitants: LPS, Zoas
AI Fixture Used: AI Vega Color
Number of Fixtures: 1
AWL: 12"
Average Daytime Individual Intensity: 35% W, 45% B, 45% RB 45%uv 45% G 45% R
Total Cumulative Daytime Intensity: 260 (total numbers added together)
Maximum Individual % Intensity at peak: 35% W, 45% B, 45% RB 45%uv 45% G 45% R
Total Cumulative % at Maximum Intensity: 260 (total % numbers added together)
Total Length of Photoperiod: 12 hours
Total Time at Maximum Intensity: 10 hours
Total acclimation period: switched from ai sol to vega at same W B RB intensities.

Thanks for your input. If I can get enough direct info (I'm looking at other threads as well) I hope to complete a by size/depth spreadsheet for reference.

Total Tank Dimension: 110 Gallon, 36x24x31
Inhabitants:SPS, LPS, Zoas, LR, Various Fish, invertebrates
AI Fixture Used: AI Vega
Number of Fixtures: 2
AWL: 8.75
Average Daytime Individual Intensity: 55% W, 60% B, 60% RB, 60% DB
Total Cumulative Daytime Intensity: 235 (total numbers added together)
Maximum Individual % Intensity at peak: 75% W, 80% B, 80% RB, 80% DB
Total Cumulative % at Maximum Intensity: 315 (total % numbers added together)
Total Length of Photoperiod: 12 hours (4 hour ramp up)
Total Time at Maximum Intensity: 8 hours
Total acclimation period: One month, Started at 50% W and 60% B's adjusting by 5% each week until these maximum settings.

Love my Vega's! :spin3:

Back